Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With MC's be very careful and ensure to go to a really good breeder that show's their cats and the kittens don't leave until 12 weeks old (and are fixed, vaccinated, dewormed and chipped). I see a ton of people selling any fluffy kitten as MC's or mc mixes unfortunately. You should expect to pay over $1,000 to $3,000.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Be very cautious and educate yourself on Maine Coons before buying. We have a purebred MC - I can't tell you how many people get scammed on all types of purebred cats but MC's are highest on the list because people see "long hair, big ears, long tufted paws and ears" and immediately think the cat is an MC or a mix. These traits are common in the domestic cat world. Once you start looking at real Maine Coons you will recognize instantly that the others being passed off as them, are not. There is a very specific appearance in body structure, coat, facial appearance which all need to be there.

Maine Coon's offered for mere hundreds are not goin to be legit. As mentioned they will cost a minimum of $1000 and go upwards from there depending on various factors. We paid $1200 for our girl. And no reputable breeder will ever let their kittens go earlier than 12 weeks. 16 weeks is preferable for the extra "mom and sibling" time and also to ensure they have been properly vetted.

Backyard breeders don't care about the kittens health and well being. They just want to get them out fast and grab money. If anyone ever says pay by Paypal, or similar, do not do it. Paypal doesn't allow sales of animals and will not be any protection if you are scammed. Money will be lost and so will emotions. Beware sites that have "Pay now!" buttons too. No good breeder works that way. They will want to interview YOU to make sure the kitten is going to a good home that will care for it properly.

Start by looking up CFA or TICA and you'll be able to find names of breeders in NYS from there. There are also numerous Facebook groups dedicated to nearly every breed and plenty of Maine Coon groups to choose from (I belong to a few). Even there, you'll find people who think they have Maine Coons but at least it gives a place to chat with others about them and many have approved breeder lists to share.

If willing to travel you could expand your search to NJ, PA and CT. Our girl is from a breeder in South NJ if interested.

Last expect to be on a list for some time. Good breeders typically use lists. We've been on one for 2 years now for a 2nd MC and now it's longer due to the pandemic. Longer if you want a specific color that isn't available yet. Breeders plan their litters and not all colors will be available at the same time.

However, our Luna we managed to get fast because her breeder doesn't do lists as she has no need to - more a first come first served from seeing them on her Facebook page and if you are fast, you may not have to wait too long. We saw Luna the same day she posted the photo and I contacted her that day (helped, that I'd met her previously some years back perhaps).

This is Luna. She's 1-1/2 now.
luna for cat site 2.jpg

purrfect mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Carol, hope you find your MC and wanted to shout out to Sivyaleah. I will attach a pic of what I believe to be our part-MC, and a link to my post from last few minutes.

Hi; would a stud service work with female non-purebred cat? + other breeding questions

My kitty pictured to L mated w/what we think is MC. I had literally never heard of a MC cats, and, interestingly enough, I saw a cat go through our yard w this incredibly long tail and at same time I was contacting breeders (about question I just posted) and put 2 + 2 together when I started reading about MC. Funnily enough, family that adoped our part MC mix's brother came to same conclusion about their male MC. What we think is our MC mix, pictured below (can't see her magnificent tail in pic). Input welcome.

Attachments

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Carol, hope you find your MC and wanted to shout out to Sivyaleah. I will attach a pic of what I believe to be our part-MC, and a link to my post from last few minutes.

Hi; would a stud service work with female non-purebred cat? + other breeding questions

My kitty pictured to L mated w/what we think is MC. I had literally never heard of a MC cats, and, interestingly enough, I saw a cat go through our yard w this incredibly long tail and at same time I was contacting breeders (about question I just posted) and put 2 + 2 together when I started reading about MC. Funnily enough, family that adoped our part MC mix's brother came to same conclusion about their male MC. What we think is our MC mix, pictured below (can't see her magnificent tail in pic). Input welcome.
I am having a hard time following your story but regardless, your cat is a domestic mackerel tabby, probably medium hair or just normal kitten floof and is a short hair.

I see no feature which point to the possibility she had MC in her background. It would be highly unlike too given that breeders keep strict control over their cats. And people who purchase them do the same plus, a very high percentage are spayed/neutered before leaving the breeder for this exact reason. Last most who have an MC that they do not want anymore don't dump them let alone intact. All reputable breeders will take back their cats for any reason if the owner finds themselves in a situation where keeping it isn't an option. The breeder then will rehome the cat.

Purebred is proved by having the documentation going back at least 5 generations of only that type of breed (I think it's 5, I may be off a bit there). Without that lineage trail a cat is a domestic regardless of appearance.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is very hard to prove MC lineage, buying from someone who is not a registered breeder is almost always a failure, most don't have the MC breed in them at all. Maine Coon has that VERY distinctive, pronounced muzzle, large tufted ears, and very large tufted feet. And a magnificent tail! The chances of a kitten having a MC background are about as slim as winning the lottery. Purebred kittens are almost always neutered and spayed when they leave, the only way that could happen is if someone retired an older stud or queen and gave them away intact. VERY unlikely, but I suppose that could happen. The breed could be in the lineage from WAY back if a scenario happened as I said, cats have to start somewhere, but again very unlikely. It's just more likely they HAPPEN to resemble a breed. and that's OK with me, I love them all.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, it is very hard to prove MC lineage, buying from someone who is not a registered breeder is almost always a failure, most don't have the MC breed in them at all. Maine Coon has that VERY distinctive, pronounced muzzle, large tufted ears, and very large tufted feet. And a magnificent tail! The chances of a kitten having a MC background are about as slim as winning the lottery. Purebred kittens are almost always neutered and spayed when they leave, the only way that could happen is if someone retired an older stud or queen and gave them away intact. VERY unlikely, but I suppose that could happen. The breed could be in the lineage from WAY back if a scenario happened as I said, cats have to start somewhere, but again very unlikely. It's just more likely they HAPPEN to resemble a breed. and that's OK with me, I love them all.
Adding: MC's are long, tall and lean when in proper condition. They are quite muscular too. Their coats are short on top with longer manes, tails and belly floof and the aforementioned lynx ear tufts and fur between the toes.

And I agree about all cats being wonderful and worthy of love for just who they are. Many people who have purebred cats have domestics too, including us!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was currently checking but could not get any further info... Very interested in adopt. one, doesn't matter for me if it's a girl or a boy. Came across very confusing websites with my research. I'd rather like not to be scammed. 🐱 Maine Coon Сat Breed Information, Pictures, Care, History | Fello.pet But I am pretty sure that I gonna find my new family member sooner or later. :blush:
That site has generalized info on it.
FYI also the photos are stolen - no credit given. Most are from a well known cat breeder/photographer Robert Sijka. I know his style and cats since I've been following him for years.