But that was my buggie mama!

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
I was just in the kitchen to get some juice before bed and Oliver was in there with me... I noticed a small spider on the wall, so I flicked it to the floor for him (eh, better than leaving bug guts on my wall lol)... well he pawed it and watched it and tried once or twice to sniff/eat it and then kinda laid down next to it... he probably would've actually eaten it eventually... well, my 14 year old black lab was actually awake (I had just put her out to pee then have her cookies) and came back into the kitchen from the living room, spied the bug and slurped it down! Oliver gave me these HUGE eyes with a face that looked like he was gonna bawl and this look like "BUT MAMA, THAT WAS MY BUGGIE!"

I said sorry bud but you had plenty of time to smoosh and eat him! Not like he doesn't kill and eat several bugs a day and even had one in the basement this evening lol

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww poor sweetie Oliver! Its okay, there'll be plenty of bugs for you to play with... That's the difference between dogs and cats. Cats love to play with/ torture their snacks, dogs just wolf everything up in one slurp

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ollie loves to torture before killing and eating! I used to come home to my apartment in school to find him with spider legs hanging out of his mouth and a legless spider on the floor
He has started eating the crunchy bugs alive cuz he's realized he can't kill them first... that first crunch though makes me cringe lol

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh poor little Oliver!

Mitzi -- Oliver, I hav loadz of likkul buggies in my sekret stash! Comm rownd an play an we kan hav a feest!

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh poor Ollie! That's just no fair...

Evie has full sympathy for him... My dog Peach, whom we've had long before we had Evie, earned herself the nickname "The Great Peach Hunter", because she stalks and eats bugs. So when Evie came along and decided she liked to play with bugs, we had some serious hunter competitions going on!

Funny, they actually seem to have worked out a compromise- Evie plays with them (almost never eats them, poor me!!), then when she's done, Peach re-catches them (not usually hard at that point, depending on how rough she played!
) and eats them! What a team...

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Poor Oliver, that is so unfair.

Petunia (RIP) and Much had an agreement. Much would beat the flies into submission then Petunia would clean up by eating them.

There was one time that Petunia was playing with a spider. She shook her paw as the spider was tickling her. Unfortunately, she flung it down the heat register. She sat there for about 10 minutes looking at the register with the most forlorn look.

barkleysjester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oliver sounds a lot like Barkley, he loves laying his paw on bugs and then lifting it up as though he is playing hide and seek with the bug. Eventually and I mean eventually he will get around to eating it but if Petunia is around he gets pushed out of the way and she eats it immediately, no game playing with her

I'm always afraid that eating bugs will make them sick.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah when I was still in college with Oliver in my bug filled apartment (think built in the 70s, stuff not sealed well) we nicknamed him "Cat the Buggie Hunter" a la "Dog the Bounty Hunter" (yes, we'd kinda sing it as we said it haha)

I've never had Oliver get sick from eating bugs... but we do get crickets in the basement twice a year and my parents will spray for them, so Ollie's not allowed down there for a couple days and we sweep up the dead ones after the spraying... he doesn't usually go after crickets at all though - we used to send my dog to the basement to take care of them, but at 14, she can't handle the non-carpeted basement steps anymore and would either fall down them or need to be carried back up cuz she can't get grip on them

One more Ollie hunter story right quick: I was sitting in my room on the computer one night and I have a curtain up over my door, so the AC can be on but the door open and have the cold air stay in, so I couldn't see into the hall.... well I hear this slight *tink tink tink* noise and I'm like "what the....?!" so I look out and Oliver is up on the antique wash stand pawing at the ceramic pitcher/basin set... I pick up the pitcher to see a brown crunchy bug in the bowl which he then promptly ate alive then hopped down and went about his business

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

One more Ollie hunter story right quick: I was sitting in my room on the computer one night and I have a curtain up over my door, so the AC can be on but the door open and have the cold air stay in, so I couldn't see into the hall.... well I hear this slight *tink tink tink* noise and I'm like "what the....?!" so I look out and Oliver is up on the antique wash stand pawing at the ceramic pitcher/basin set... I pick up the pitcher to see a brown crunchy bug in the bowl which he then promptly ate alive then hopped down and went about his business
That's cute! I would be glad to have a cat with me at home to help with the roaches I so detest
I wouldn't let them eat the bugs though, pesticides and all... One never knows what roaches carry around, they have such tough immune systems. Bleah~

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh bless that's an amusing tale, poor lad didn't get to eat his catch!

I have a similar story but about 2 of my cats - Radar is a prolific hunter and Sonic is a prolific eater - well one night we had a huge moth come in, Radar chased it up and down the room, he ran up and along all the bookcases, jumped up and down on the windowsill, and put in a lot of effort to get that moth while Sonic just sat and watched looking slightly bemused. Radar finally had this thing cornered, he slapped it and trapped it under his paw.

He lifted his paw slightly and peered at the moth to see if he needed to deliver another blow, decided it wasn't quite done, so smacked it again. Again he lifted his paw up to have a peek - at which point Sonic sprang into action moving all of 18 inches to grab the moth in his mouth and chomp it up.

Poor Radar couldn't for the life of him work out where that moth had disappeared to - he spent the next hour sniffing around that area of the carpet trying to find it

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm starting to understand why our cat food bill actually goes down in summertime. Because everytime we open the door, the cat's now have a buffet of flying critters they can chase around the house! The wonderful people who designed the house thought it was a great idea to put the porch light 3 inches from the door. I keep telling hubby that the porch light doesn't have to be on EVERY night, only when we are leaving the house. The dogs can find the door just fine in the dark. But, at least we don't have to spend a lot of money on cat toys because the cats are completely amused.

My cats have a definite hunting system going on. It the bug is near the ceiling, Corky will patrol the top of the cabinets. Once close enough, she will bat it down onto the counters where Missy and Little One (if she is in the mood) will then play with the poor stunned insect until it is eventually batted off the counter onto the floor. Then Harley and Gizmo start having a little soccer match with the poor thing until one of them apparently makes a goal and the spoils go to the winner. NOT a fun thing to hear in the middle of the night! (Monster is usually to stoned to participate in the activities but gets a kick out of watching).

Tonight though, our pug Buttercup stole the prize (a poor moth) and ate it (picture the T-Rex at the end of Jurassic Park) and she was SO proud of herself and crawled into bed with DH. And proceeded to puke the moth and her dinner...on MY side of the bed!
*note to self...do NOT let dogs eat bugs! yeah right.*

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My rule is: if you just ate bug, no kisses for a little bit so no bug-gut breath
So tell Oliver he gets more love than gross doggy for now

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everytime I see the title of this thread I think it says 'budgie' and go 'oh my gosh, I hope the birdie is okay!'

Hennessy follows moths and flies around the house and mews and trills at them, like he's trying to lure them in close. Then Lulu (the dog) hears him and tries to play.

So no bug stealing, really, just unwanted distraction.