Bush says to get ready for war

havel1hv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Let me dig my class notes up (I took American Foreign Policy) - I believe we got rid of a government in Iraq and then put someone else in. I'll find out exacts... I don't believe what they did was right - just that we (Americans) should take a more active role in government to make sure such things don't happen - Also people who don't live in the US don't know how little the normal person interacts with decisions the US makes - Seriously! I have had foreign students express surprize when they realize how little we have to do with these decisions! THIS DOES NOT EXCUSE WHAT WAS DONE!!! I'm just trying to educate people. I'll get back with some facts later.

Heather V. Havel

airprincess

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really hope that we can talk about this topic without flaming occuring. Remember that this is probably the hottest topic in this country, if not the world right now, and that Americans, while we all process things differently are feeling violated, sickened and angry over this tradegy.

I visit other boards, and as my friends here can attest to I've been very upset about what I've read. There are some people from other countries who have decided to come on and post a sort of 'nah nah, heavy-handed America has been hit'. Now is NOT the time to tell us. We are so raw that most of us couldn't even have an intelligent debate about it. I'm not saying anybody has done that, but I'm scared this could turn in that direction and it's going to be ugly if it does. I've seen it at other places on the net.

Right or wrong, we don't want to hear what's wrong with the country. Perhaps when they have recovered all the bodies from the rubble, perhaps when all those people who are missing loved ones are able to identify them using a lock of hair because all that's left is some DNA, when we can all get through the day without crying, maybe then we can talk about it. I know I can't speak rationally about the things that are wrong with this country right now. Nor do I have the energy or desire to debate history/politics/foriegn policies right now. And I've been lucky enough to not lose anyone I care about, YET, because who knows what will happen if this becomes a full blown war.

I'm not saying that people aren't entitled to thier opinions, because that isn't the case. I'm just saying that this country is in grieving right now, and we're angry. And we're not ourselves. Our feeling of patriotism is running high, there is a huge amount of pride in this country, and we aren't going to be able to be civil when discussing her shortcomings.

P.S.
Heather, Bless your heart for looking for the facts. I don't have the energy and my veiwpoints come from my heart, and not my head.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I blew yesterday on another board that was taking the turn like this one post is. Where people were responding in confusion and anger, not because they are not intelligent, but because their brain is numb and thinking hurts. I would hate to be a world leader right now, because what a burden to go to bed with everynight? How do they make this right? Can they? I heard last night on Nightline that osama has over 300 billion dollars that he INHERITED.

Mike and I used to argue about how come America has to get involved in other countries political problems. We put Hussein in power, we put Castro in power, and President Kennedy promised no attacks on Cuba after we did. I am no Foreign Policy major, and I hope Heather does supply her notes. I guess at this point, I am just wondering why all through history, people just can't get along with each other? Not that it compares to a world war by any scale,but visit a few bulletin boards and lurk, and find, that right now, many are spoiling for a fight with people they have known for years.

And KF, I don't know why America hasn't acknowledged all the help they are getting on an individual basis. Maybe because they are busy trying to get to any survivors out before the stages of dehydration set in, or before they succumb to the fumes of toxic smoke, as there is a still a fire underneath all that rubble. Maybe they are to busy rounding up the world leaders to see what can be done. Did you see Jay Leno last night? A man usually so full of comedy and he couldn't even crack a joke. He said this and I hope I quote him correctly:

"My father was a prize fighter, and he used to say "Fight the Good Fight" And this my friends is the good fight, you can say to yourself that maybe we (America) did this....or then we did this....or this...but...we didn't..........we didn't. We were sucker punched and we were knocked down, and when we get up, it will be the good fight!"

He also had Senator McCain on the Senator was eloquent, passionate, patriotic, and hard-nosed. We all are at this point, and the tip of our nose is skinned, and bloody and raw and we may get knocked down again- and God I hope not, but we may, and we will get back up. Because we have to. Why, because in every sense of the word, we are the Greatest Nation in the world, and all eyes are on us to see how we will react and what we will do. Also, Jay had Crosby Stills Nash & Young on and they sang several songs some members crying. I think it was Graham, that wrote a song after the Oklahoma bombing called "Half the Angels" and the words could of been written 3 days ago. They ended with God Bless America and there wasn't a dry eye in the house. So God Bless America, and to those who think that because of past mistakes or policy, or whatever that we deserved this? Well, I just feel sorry for them, because NO ONE deserved this! NO ONE!

And KF if you think I am attacking you, I am not. But just reading your post opened that wound on my nose a little more than it was before, and I am proud of my country and what it stands for, if it wasn't so great no one would even bother with us and try to tear it down like this. I also have the fullest faith in my leaders and I know that in 6 months when the last piece of rubble is carried off.........and there are slides of flesh sitting in labs the only way to be tested for DNA and funerals and memorial services begin in earnest all over the world.....and the Congrssional Medal of Honor is bestowed to the widows of those four brave men on the flight that crashed in PA....that there will be a huge "THANK YOU" to all who have helped. To all the countries everywhere, to the 64 nations who have lost their people, to all the countries who have pitched in, to the backwoods Americans who instead of paying a utility bill, sent the money into the relief fund, to the rescuers with the search dogs with bloody paws...to the brave firemen and policemen and women that risked everything to save those who ultimately couldn't be saved...to the ones left in their wake forgetting their grief and digging into the pile.....to the volunteeers.......the people cheering on the streets........ to everyone everywhere, there will be a thank you. And I am sure that today when the world leaders come to the white house and Jacque Chretien grabs Bush's hand, Bush will thank him warmly for all the help his people have been and will continue being, and maybe that will help take the sting out of the "unexpected slap from Big Brother" but I guess that is up to you to decide. And see, normally I am an easy-going person and I wouldn't fight with anybody, but this is surely not "Normal" times.

airprincess

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
that obviously there are things that need to change. Policies that need to be re-evaluated. The people who have to make those decisions aren't on this board, or probably any other for that matter. The people that ARE on this board are doing all they can in terms of donations, prayers and patriotism.

We are not a perfect country, but in most of the worlds eyes we are the strongest, and if terrorism is able to topple us, then everyone else better hold onto their asses. This isn't just our problem, but a problem to everyone that holds democracy and freedom dear. These people want their religion and their God to be the universal one. They don't want to be held in check by anyone, and if we don't do something about it, then God help us all. The freedoms we have enjoyed will not be there for our childern and grand childern. Amandas post called 'Evacuation' really brought it home for me. This is affecting an entire world. I really feel like the idea of freedom is what is up for grabs here. The repercussions of this will be felt by the world, not just one nation.

Now is not the time for finger pointing, or blame, but a time for finding the terrorists who hold no regard for human life if you aren't on their side. Now is a time for fixing the immediate problem before it erupts even bigger than it already has, and then maybe, when we can feel some small amount of safety and well being, when the threat has been stamped out to the best of our ability, then maybe we can work on fixing the problems that led to this happening. But we can't even think about that until the immediate threat is gone.

kittyfoot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Rest assured that Canada and the USA are like a family..we may squabble and fuss among ourselves at times but we stand together when one of us is hurting. You are our brothers and sisters,your blood is ours and so is your pain. We have shared joys and sorrows in the past and have died for each other. Neither of us is perfect but in the end that doesn't matter. Our hand is always extended to you..whether or not you slap it away is entirely up to you.

airprincess

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kittyfoot, your words mean alot. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. You can't know how much comfort I take in what you said.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It amazes me how many nations are saying they will be pulling their support behind us. Not knowing what is coming down the pike frightens me, but it also makes my patriotism streak a lot stronger.

catarina77777

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My youngest nephew was shipped off about three days ago...I just found out yesterday. He was in North Carolina one day and now he has no idea (from what my brother has told me) where he's going....I haven't been able to contact my other nephew Christopher. He was in Georgia...in the Navy. My brother has no idea where he is right now. He's not contacted even his father. I guess no one knows much of anything and I guess it's perfectly clear that it's too dangerous. I'm in full support of President Bush's decision.

I would say that I would have to agree with AP's sentiments...those countries, better hang on to them and kiss them goodbye as well.

Wayne, thanks for your encouraging words!

Love & Peace,

sunlion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Catarina,

You must be beside yourself about your nephew.

I was just realizing there is only one young man in my entire family who would be likely to be drafted. He is not yet 18 and his dad is from Acapulco, so I suppose he could legally declare himself a Mexican citizen and avoid it, but I don't know if he would. Now if they draft women this time, then we'll lose a lot of family. And with the push toward equality of the last 25 years, if this is an extended conflict, I bet that idea comes up . . .

Kittyfoot,

I remember when I first lived in Canada (Sudbury,ON) and all my classmates seemed to have a complex. Every conversation for like a month, someone said, "Oh, but that's better in the States, eh?" About everything, from television to the public library to the kind of chocolate bars in the local Pinto store (7-Eleven is ever better than Pinto, eh?) to the way milk was served. (Do you guys get milk in bags? I thought that was pretty cool, but maybe it was just the local dairy.) I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to live so close to us and have so much in common, but to be treated like you are invisible. I try to be more sensitive about language these days, I'm more likely to say "I'm from the US" than "I'm American", because Canadians and Mexicans are also American so it sounds a little arrogant to me.

I think the US is like a teenager who towers over her parents. So big and powerful, but still with so much to learn, and yet completely able to overpower our predecessors if we don't agree. Or maybe it's like having an elephant in the bedroom, even if you try to ignore it, you are always conscious of it, and it can squash you just by rolling over without paying attention.

Mr Cat,

At least 3 generations of my family have served in the military (my grandfather lied about his age so he'd be accepted for duty in WWI, yes, One) and I think it's a horrible shame that no one in my generation seems to even consider how much of our lifestyle is due to their patriotism. I know you Viet Nam vets got the dirty end of the stick, probably because the whole situation was so unpopular. I have also heard that WWII vets are only now getting a national memorial, which is another shame. What's it been, almost 60 years? So thank you from the bottom of my heart for risking your life just so I can live in peace and prosperity.

Sorry to babble on, these things struck me and I just wanted to vent. Y'all go back to ignoring me now, it's probably for the best . . .

catarina77777

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dear Sunlion,

To be honest, I am very concerned, but I know they've been trained very well and I have faith that they will come home safely.

I thought there was some type of exception in the services. If there was only one son in the family, he could not be drafted...this is something I think is correct. I would have to look into it further.

I pray that's true.

Love & Peace,
Catarina

mr. cat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
CATARINA:

I hope all is well with your nephew. I know these times will cause much anguish for many people, especially those with friends or relatives in military service. There's much truth in the old wartime saying: "Those also serve who stand and wait." And that's about all we can do! I shall keep your nephew in my thoughts. Remember: Don't borrow trouble. Think good thoughts about your nephew's situation, as far as that's possible in these circumstances; and please let us know how he's doing, when you are able.

SUN LION:

Thank you for your kind regards! Well, it's been so long now since the Viet Nam War; and the Gulf War has come and gone (more or less) as well. The Korean War surely was awful for all concerned, too. One of my good friends is a Second World War veteran: He was a member of a U.S. Marine Corps 75-millimeter pack-howitzer crew which went ashore in the first wave at Iwo Jima in the Volcano Islands in 1945; and for the past couple of years he's been experiencing nightmares about it, after all that time.

I don't think anyone need be concerned, one way or another, regarding the drafting of women into military service here in the U.S.A. Personally, I think it's a good idea: The armed forces would benefit greatly by tapping into that pool of resources. However, this was last "discussed" on a so-called "national level" (in other words, by politicians) some 20 years ago: Activist feminists took the position that since war is a product of "the patriarchy," women should not be required to perform military service. Academe and feminist organizations howl if anybody in government so much as suggests such a thing! Add to that the "rednecks" who think women should be protected and put on pedestals and you've got no drafting of women, period. Threats to political territory make for odd bedfellows, don't they?

=^..^=

catarina77777

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Joe :angel2:

Both my nephews are in the military, I was replying to Sunlion about her concern for what seemed to be the only male eligible. I had assumed him to be the only son. My bad..

My oldest nephew, Christoper is 24 and he's in the Navy. His younger brother Eddie is 18 and in the Marines. Eddie just left a few days ago on a ship. I don't know which one. He didn't know either before he left...nor did he know where the ship would be going. Just as well.

Like you said, I'm not going to worry. I do have faith and I believe that they've been trained to do their duty for the Country. I just pray that they're spirits are high and I hope to hear from both of them very soon. Thank you for having them in your thoughts.

Love & Peace hugs to Micheala & Tonya

sunlion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, my cousin Eric IS an only, but I think he is more likely to enlist than to wait to be drafted, though I'm sure we'd rather he stayed home. All us other cousins are over 30 and our kids are jr. high age or younger, so we aren't worried about them yet.

I worry a little about my step brother who is in the Coast Guard. I think he is near the end of his time with them, but I know they can call him back if they need him. I also have a friend Andrew in the Navy. He's the brother-in-law of a friend of mine and we dated a few times long before I got married. Of course I haven't heard from him since all this happened, I'm sure I'm not at the top of his list of priorities at the moment. Another ex-boyfriend was in the National Guard, but I think he passed the six year mark several years ago.

Not that I'm terribly bothered about any of them yet, not until I hear something concrete. Until then, it's all rumors, just a thing that sets in the back of my mind.

catarina77777

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dear Sunlion,

I can appreciate that little voice in the back of your mind speaking to you...I can empathize so well. It appears that the young men are eager to enlist right now. Or so it seems like that in my town. To be quite honest, I'd go if they'd have me.

Thanks Joe!

Love & Peace