Burnt paw from stove

Rgrant12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The other day my 8 month old cat stepped on the hot stove right when I turned it off. I put a cold compress on it and it didn’t look so serious. The next day though his paw pad started peeling and exposing the skin underneath. I took him to the vet ER and they said he didn’t need to be treated and it should heal on it’s own if we keep it clean with water. Part of me is relieved but also skeptical because it looks bad. I made an appointment with my regular vet but would like to see some opinions. I attached a photo of his paw.

Attachments

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It doesn't look too bad, I've had my cats jump on my wood stove over the years. :sigh: The last time I was told to just let it heal, but also used some Vetericyn on it, and it healed much faster. The only problem was holding the cat still for about 5 minutes or so for it to dry, it's safe even if licked but I liked to make sure it absorbed in before letting the cat go 😉.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rgrant12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It doesn't look too bad, I've had my cats jump on my wood stove over the years. :sigh: The last time I was told to just let it heal, but also used some Vetericyn on it, and it healed much faster. The only problem was holding the cat still for about 5 minutes or so for it to dry, it's safe even if licked but I liked to make sure it absorbed in before letting the cat go 😉.
Thank you! This is my first pet I’ve ever owned myself so I am very new to these injuries... so overall it will heal hopefully soon on it’s own and I shouldn’t worry too much and keep an eye on it until it fully heals.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Been there, done that :hugs: It's good that you applied a cold compress and took your cat to the ER. When my cat walked over a hot stove as a kitten, I ran cold water over his paw for several minutes and immediately too him to the ER. The ER vet determined my cat had a superficial first degree burn and prescribed a burn ointment to apply. My cat could walk ok but jumping and landing made him scream in pain. I followed up with the regular vet a week later. His paw was still a little painful then as he helpfully demonstrated for the vet by jumping off the exam table :doh:

Just keep an eye on the paw. It it starts to blister or just doesn't look well, you'll need to bring your cat to the vet. And be super vigilant after using the stove and make sure your cat isn't in the kitchen until long after the stove has cooled to room temperature. Kittens are known to be too curious for their own good.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can apply an antibiotic salve for humans on it, burns are notorious for getting infected. Just be sure to use one with NO pain relievers in it, which makes it poisonous to cats.

BlackCatOp

Black Cats Rule!
Adult Cat
Purraise
Having my cats burn themselves on the stovetop is one of my biggest fears. I keep a large stock pot filled with some water to cover the hot burner when I am done cooking to prevent them from stepping on a hot burner.

Hope your kitty’s paws heal quickly!