Buprenorphine-Not Sleeping?

tretred

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi-My cat is 12, he had a cleaning today and ended up having two teeth pulled.  Vet gave me Buprenorphine.  Gave it to him 3 hours ago.  He is WIDE AWAKE.  He is restless.  Pacing around or just staring at walls.  I can get him to lay down for no more than 10 mins.  Anyone else every see this.  Everything I googled shows sleepiness or slow breathing.  He is having the opposite reaction.  I'm never getting to sleep tonight!  I am a little worried.  I am supposed to keep him on this for three days.  I am calling the vet ASAP in the morning.  Just curious if anyone else has heard of this.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had the same reaction with more than one cat. I never asked the vet because I was always nervous using a narcotic pain killer with my cats and was ok with them looking wide awake rather than drowsy. I think the cat is probably uncomfortable feeling loopy. Maybe there's another pain med that can be used the vet can prescribe. You have the strongest it's a controlled substance.

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could just be the effects of the anesthesia wearing off.  Bup usually has the opposite effect making them sleepy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tretred

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I must sound silly, you're right.  I would be freaking out if  he was knocked out too.  I wish there was a happy medium.  Plus I am nervous he will be up for three days straight.  Glad to know someone else has seen the same thing.

ziggy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's a pretty common reaction to buprenorphine. For some reason cats tend to get wound up from opiates in general instead of sedated like people get. When one of my cats started to take bupe he was racing around the house, howling all night. After a few days of taking it it got better. Since your kitty is just going to be taking it for a short while I would stop giving it to him now. Chances are that he doesn't need it anyway. Unfortunately buprenorphine has a very long half life so it will stay active in his system for a while longer but once it wears off he will settle down. You should see it starting to wear off somewhere between 6 and 12 hours after the last dose.

RJ T

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope other people see this. Especially Vets. Both of my cats, from different litters - unrelated - have had this extreme reaction from taking buprenorphine. I'm watching my husky 13 yr old male cat going on about hos 50th hour without sleep since we left the vet. He's not hyper. Previously super vocal, he isn't speaking. Hes just wide awake.
My other cat took this med 2 years ago and was awake for over 72 hours.
I am angry that the pharm company doesnt list thos as a side effect or hive vets guidelines to treat if the cat has a bad reaction.

Katietrip

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is the second time in a year and a half my cat has been given buprenex and had the exact same reaction. She stands in front of her food and water bowl for hours. She doesn’t move. She’ll smell her food or dip her chin in the water...but that is it. She did the same thing a year and a half ago. Held court at her food bowl and wouldn’t sleep. When I pick her up to try and move her she rubs her head into mine (she hates head to head contact). When I put her down she makes the trek back to her dishes. I moved them into the living room so I could sleep on the couch and watch her. Every hour I’d wake up and there she is...wide awake hugging her food bowls. I can’t remember how long this lasted before...but I’m hesitant to give her the doses I was sent home with. Not sleeping can’t be healthy.

DukenGizmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat just had the same thing with that medication. He had 7 extractions. Staring at the food and water and zoned out, delayed reactions. It took him 48 hours to sleep finally. I think he was just so wired from the whole episode.

IslandMeg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi-My cat is 12, he had a cleaning today and ended up having two teeth pulled. Vet gave me Buprenorphine. Gave it to him 3 hours ago. He is WIDE AWAKE. He is restless. Pacing around or just staring at walls. I can get him to lay down for no more than 10 mins. Anyone else every see this. Everything I googled shows sleepiness or slow breathing. He is having the opposite reaction. I'm never getting to sleep tonight! I am a little worried. I am supposed to keep him on this for three days. I am calling the vet ASAP in the morning. Just curious if anyone else has heard of this.
Yes I’m having the same issues. And he’s got labored breathing. He absolutely stoned and he’s jerking his head around like he’s hallucinating. I asked for a pain med that would make him sleepy. This is a nightmare. I’m panicking but good to see other people have also had issues. I’m not impressed the vet.

IslandMeg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's a pretty common reaction to buprenorphine. For some reason cats tend to get wound up from opiates in general instead of sedated like people get. When one of my cats started to take bupe he was racing around the house, howling all night. After a few days of taking it it got better. Since your kitty is just going to be taking it for a short while I would stop giving it to him now. Chances are that he doesn't need it anyway. Unfortunately buprenorphine has a very long half life so it will stay active in his system for a while longer but once it wears off he will settle down. You should see it starting to wear off somewhere between 6 and 12 hours after the last dose.
Thank you. I am beside myself. I am hoping in another hour it’ll start to wane and he’ll he able to settle and sleep. I will never give him this again. Absolutely awful. I asked for something for the pain and to help him sleep. This has him stoned, hallucinating, jerking his head and looking miserable. Plus labored breathing. His eyes are black. Have been for hours. Thank god for you all. I was going into severe panic and overload with it.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This is an old thread and the original posters are not active, so you will more than likely not get replies. Please let the vet know about these reactions that your cat is having, especially if you still feel that he is not coming out of this. We are not vets and cannot judge that some of these, such as labored breathing, are not putting your cat in danger. I hope that by now, about 13 hours from your last post, that your cat has recovered.