Buprenorphine and IBD

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat is on budesonide for suspected ibd. Biopsy has been declined as as treatment is going to be the same the vet said. He has pain and I'm giving him buprenorphine. I cannot find any other posts of buprenorphine given to treat ibd pain. Is there anyone else needing this for their baby? Maybe this disease has gone too far....dear God my heart is breaking

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like a question daftcat75 daftcat75 might know the answer to. Bupe is used to treat many causes of pain. Your vet has determined that it is the best pain medicine for your cat's situation. You can question the vet's choice of pain medicine if you feel that it's a bit of an "overkill" for your cat.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That’s a vet question. I used it with Krista for dental pain. I don’t know if it’s appropriate for IBD pain. It can be constipating. That may be counterproductive for an IBD cat.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Buprenorphine is often used for pain in cats and works very well. It is sometimes used with Gabapentin and the two together work well but the Gabapentin can make them a bit sleepy. It depends on how much pain your cat is in. The only one who can really decide which medication is best for your cat is the veterinarian that has examined your cat. You can get really poor uninformed advice online from well-meaning people who don't have a veterinary degree so please always check with your vet before altering any instructions they have given you for your cat.

With that being said, you have to make sure your vet is good with cats and the unique illnesses they suffer. Some veterinarians are not very knowledgeable in cats. So, if you have questions or concerns and doubts, get a second opinion from another vet, specifically one who is specialized or a cat only hospital.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat was given Buprenorphine to treat her pain when she was unwell for something that we thought it was a triaditis.
She was diagnosed with cholangiohepatitis, and at some stage she also had pancreatitis. She was suffering from some bowel disease that the vet were sure was IBD though only US scans were done.
So yes, my cat wasn't too well and had adbominal pain and was given Buprenorphine, but she had a very bad reaction to it and she was stoned like two days.
Needless to say that one shot was more than enough and the therapy wasn't repeated.

There are a few posts and threads on this subject, and how that drug has severe effects on cats.

Astragal14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cats has IBD and we have buprenorphine on hand for acute flare ups. We're very fortunate that he hasn't needed any in a long time, probably two years. How has your vet directed you to use it, as needed or on a regular basis?