Bunny mites and cats, Help!

Natashan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there!
bit worried so I thought id ask for some help from this fab group.
So, I rescued a bunny the other day. Abandoned pet, with burnt feet and what I didn't realise at the time, was a bad mite infestation. This is the first time I've ever been caring for a bunny, mainly a cat person! luckily a lovely rescue organisation is collecting him.
He has been isolated in another room and kept away from my two cats. But I'm worried as I have been in and out of the room for feedings. I've been washing my hands but am now really concerned about transmission of the mites from my clothing.
A vet recommended getting a spot on mite treatment for the cats, but am wondering if it's really necessary and if I'm just being paranoid. Cats haven't been in the room but they are very interested in all the new smells on me.
I'm going to be doing a deep cleaning of the room today when he goes to the vets/rescue org with the usual antiseptic cleaning agents. Hoping this will be enough.
Any advice regarding cats and cleaning will be greatly appreciated!
never had to think about this before so am a bit out of my depth.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I fostered kittens who were born in a disused rabbit cage - they were full of rabbit mites. It took quite a while to get rid of them all. The kittens were kept in a separate room in my cellar until they were rehomed. I can't say that I was particularly careful but my cats never picked up a mite. Perhaps it was pure luck - and I haven't exactly scrupulously cleaned out that room in the cellar either - it was used for gardening stuff. The next cats and kittens which I kept there were not infected either. So, I don't think you need to worry too much.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd probably do the mite treatment for the cats just to be safe. It's much easier to do a treatment before to prevent then deal with an infestation. But thats just caution talking, if you're being careful chances are slim.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Natashan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I fostered kittens who were born in a disused rabbit cage - they were full of rabbit mites. It took quite a while to get rid of them all. The kittens were kept in a separate room in my cellar until they were rehomed. I can't say that I was particularly careful but my cats never picked up a mite. Perhaps it was pure luck - and I haven't exactly scrupulously cleaned out that room in the cellar either - it was used for gardening stuff. The next cats and kittens which I kept there were not infected either. So, I don't think you need to worry too much.
oh, that's good to hear! glad it all turned out ok.
I wasn't taking operations either but have been feeling itchy since I realised she had mites.
hopefully just psychosomatic!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Natashan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd probably do the mite treatment for the cats just to be safe. It's much easier to do a treatment before to prevent then deal with an infestation. But that's just caution talking, if you're being careful chances are slim.
thanks for your response. agree with you, prevention is always better than the cure!
I've just done a massive clean of the room and am going to do a hot wash of all linen. hopefully, that'll help kill anything that may be hanging around.
in regards to spot-on treatments, would just a normal tick and flea one work? I read somewhere that some work on mites as well but aren't advertised as such. not too sure if I ought to believe this.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
thanks for your response. agree with you, prevention is always better than the cure!
I've just done a massive clean of the room and am going to do a hot wash of all linen. hopefully, that'll help kill anything that may be hanging around.
in regards to spot-on treatments, would just a normal tick and flea one work? I read somewhere that some work on mites as well but aren't advertised as such. not too sure if I ought to believe this.
I use Revolution on my rabbit and my vet has told me it protects my rabbit from mites (not sure if it is all mites or just ear mites). Your vet should be able to tell you which treatment works for mites if you want to be sure. I don’t recommend any generic or company unknown or knock-off over the counter flea treatment for any reason, the cost savings is not worth the health risk IMO.