Bumps On Cat’s Chin?

Rachelwolfe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We recently noticed these two bumps underneath of our 1 year old cat’s chin. He is going to visit the vet tomorrow, but I’m curious if anyone else has experienced this and what it may be?

59DD8A1D-1225-4491-99FE-CE2B84B99D78.jpeg

6929613D-324A-49C2-AB21-FED38B77A2A3.jpeg

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It looks like acne. Stainless steel bowls can help. My vet told me I could use Stridex pads to clear it up, I think just plain soap and water will also help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rachelwolfe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! They use stainless steel food bowls, but have a plastic water fountain bowl. Might have to look for a metal one!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. It looks like acne and it looks like it's getting a little bit inflamed.

Feline acne is fairly common. It happens to cats for similar reasons it happens to humans. It's usually nothing to worry about.

I'm not an expert but, from my experience, your vet may drain it and apply some medication. You might also get some medicine to apply at home. However, that is my worst-case scenario. The vet might simply tell you to keep it clean and watch it.

Casper got acne and we had the vet look at it, too. She said to keep his water and food bowls clean and it will clear up by itself. She also said that cats sometimes get acne if they chase and eat bugs and things like that. (Casper is a bug chaser. ;) )

We bought some stainless steel pet bowls from the dollar store. They were so cheap that we bought six of them. We put one of them down for his dry food and we use another one for his wet food then the rest go in the cupboard. Whenever we freshen his food he gets a clean bowl from the cupboard and the used ones go into the dishwasher. This way Casper always eats out of a fresh, clean bowl every day.

As others say, if you use plastic bowls or anything that's porous, dirt and bacteria can build up and contribute to feline acne.

You can also use glazed ceramic bowls but we would rather use metal because they are virtually unbreakable.

It's been more than a year since we switched to metal food bowls and giving Casper a clean one every day. He hasn't had a spec of feline acne ever since. :)

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with the advice given. My cat had the same issue. Went all stainless and there were no more problems.

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, looks like feline acne. Cullen gets it periodically. Cleaning his chin with chlorhexidine clears it up when he gets it.

FairyPie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm commenting for other people who might be coming here. I have an identical bump on my cat's chin, bulbous and shiny. It has continued to get bigger and bigger over the course of a whole year, started out as a mole-looking thing. I went to two vets 9 months apart, neither of them mentioned acne as even a possibility. And the second one was alarmed that the first vet didn't remove it.

For my cat, it is a tumor/growth that needs to be removed and sent to pathology.

IMG_-bl0jij.jpg

Seemed worth mentioning, for people who are doing web searches and finding this, don't just see this post and start washing your cats face. Please go in and see your cat's vet.