Bump on kitten's abdomen

Status
Not open for further replies.

duchess22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Newborn kittens are fine but the smallest one I think is congested. I am Medicating and offering extra kmr.
Noticed a swelling under belly button.
Is this a hernia or constipation blockage? So far it's going poop and pee. I washed the area and it is under the umbilical cord. I don't know if it is new or I noticed it when stimulating it to go pee.
20210418_140623.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That looks like a hernia. It will need to be repaired. Hopefully it will not grow bigger. Most vets will not operate on kittens this small, so surgery would need to wait. You’ll want to consult a vet who is well-versed in cats and kittens care.

What medications are you using for the congestion? How many days old are the kittens?

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Human newlyborn babies must wear a surgical truss to hold an hernia until they are old enugh to be operated on. I don't know whether this is possible for kittens. Best thing to consult an experienced vet. Best wishes for your little kitten. Please keep in touch.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duchess22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Only 1 week old. Using amoxicillin and pedialyte offering me as it's the runt. Mother cat went to the vet with kittens a week ago as she had too much discharge and was treated in case she had retained placenta. Kittens went with her but as they were all well , nobody examined them. If it is a hernia hopefully it won't affect it.

duchess22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kmr * not sure if you can edit posts on here.

duchess22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If a kitten is dehydrated is it better to give pedialyte rather than milk replacer? I want it to get some calories but it seems to like the pedialyte more this evening. Keeping it separate and warm and trying to get fluids in it.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If a kitten is dehydrated is it better to give pedialyte rather than milk replacer? I want it to get some calories but it seems to like the pedialyte more this evening. Keeping it separate and warm and trying to get fluids in it.
Pedialyte does contain some glucose sugar, so its possible to survive on pedialyte alone for some time. You wont grow on it, but you will survive even a week..
So its OK to give pedialyte when kmr isnt possible... Sometimes its even THE trick. Say, a cold kitten cant digest kmr properly, but the glucose in pedialyte works.

Hernia, if its not too big, often you can wait with the surgery; in such cases the surgery is usually done when they are spayed, as they are anyway done surgery on them.

But if I read you here correctly, there seems to be some real problems here? It IS Red Alert going on?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you get raw goats milk? Its no remedy for everything, but sometimes it may be the stepstone pulling through. I mean, if you DO use kmr, raw goats milk should be even better.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mix the powdered formula with the pedialyte instead of water and the kitten will get both. It must have nutrition to grow! You must get it used to taking its milk for it to survive, even if it is just 1/2-1mL every hour or so. Is it not nursing its mom at all?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a reason that you are supplement feeding the sickly one instead of the stronger kittens? Mom's milk is best. Also, antibiotics kill both good & bad gut bacteria so I advise consulting the vet about adding good probiotics such as Fortiflora or Benebac Plus; be sure to SEPARATE the probiotics from the antibiotics by at least 2-4 hours.
I highly recommend watching this video just for general purpose.Although intended for veterinary professionals, the instructors include advice for the lay person.
Critical Care of the Sick Neonatal Kitten

duchess22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This kitten is the smallest and it was getting symptoms of congestion and dehydration. it does nurse the mother for short times. The other bigger kittens all fight for favorite nipples and he gets pushed away. I take some of the bigger ones out and put them in a warm place to sleep while he nurses. The mother keeps moving about, grooming, jumping out of the box so I try to watch with a small flashlight he is actually nursing. I feed KMR and he does drink it but is fussy about syringe or bottle feeding unless he is hungry. I need one of those nursing syringes I see on Amazon.
He is no longer dehydrated but I will mix Pedialyte with KMR. Mine is flavored though and I read the new formula has too much zinc...?? Kitten is warm now same as other kittens, still on antibiotics.
It was stressful as the mother cat was sick the day after having kittens, they all were packed up and taken to the vet.
The kittens were all doing good so they never checked each kitten, they treated the mother and I took them home.
I don't think if it's a hernia that was the problem I think it was stress and being the smallest and maybe getting lower body temp.
I don't know what red flag or alert?? means.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You really need to use unflavored Pedialyte. It’s the clear one. That way the baby only tastes the milk. Is he gaining weight?

You may want to order the Miracle Nipples. Kittens love them as they are most like mom’s nipples.

Miracle Nipples

Stefan meant is it an immediate emergency situation when he wrote red alert. It is not.

duchess22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I ordered a bigger pack of those syringe feeders this morning. He is very interested in nursing on mum so I put three kittens out of the way, so he can have his fave nipple without being pushed about. He feels heavier and looks fluffy today.

duchess22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here are the biggest and smallest side by side. They each like a different nipple so no fussing.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you weighing the kittens? It would really help to know if they are gaining the minimum of 6-10 grams per day.

duchess22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you weighing the kittens? It would really help to know if they are gaining the minimum of 6-10 grams per day.
I don't have a scale no.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If possible, could you purchase a digital kitchen scale that weighs in grams? Especially for the little guy. :lovecat2:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't know what red flag or alert?? means.
Red Alert is a warning for great danger. Here; its "no wait and observe"; but you must act vigorously NOW before it goes worse.

From your post I see you DO the right things.

Unflavored pedialyte for babies is better, but in a pinch flavored pedialyte should work too.

Status
Not open for further replies.