Bump on cats ear! HELP!

john bayog

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It just appeared a couple of days ago. Its whiter then the rest of her ear. It doesnt bother her at all, and  the area does not look swollen. Just a small, rather hard bump. Should I take her to the vet?

Last edited by a moderator:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would keep an eye on it and if it changes size, gets redder, or grows in any way, then get her to the vet.

jolie0216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does your cat go outside at all?

I found this Q&A with a vet where someone asked a similar question:

http://www.justanswer.com/cat-health/3sr7a-cat-bumps-ears.html#re.v/378/

The vet said:  I suspect that it may be fly strike dermatitis. The tips of the ears area is a common place for flies to bite on cats. It doesn't necessarily have to be itchy. Ringworm  is also another strong possibility, especially if there is hair loss and some scaling or crusting involved. That is also very common in cats and is usually not itchy. Have your vet check this out. I would probably get a skin scraping to make sure it is not mange as well. Usually, sarcoptic or notoedric mange is itchy. Demodectic may or may not be itchy in a cat. A deep folliculitis (bacterial infection in the hair follicles) is also possible, but it is usually secondary to one of the other issues listed above.

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/cat-health/3sr7a-cat-bumps-ears.html#ixzz3sw4TTTM8

I would make a vet appointment - they'll be able to help.   It's hard to diagnose something with only a picture, really need to ask a vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

john bayog

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cat is an indoor cat. Seemingly perfectly healthy.

Thats good advice, Steph. If it gets any bigger I will certainly be taking her to the vet.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Steph. Even indoor cats can get these things. They come in on air drafts, on the soles of your shoes or with visitors who may have been exposed. I would ask a vet, particularly if you suspect ringworm as it is very contagious and can be passed to humans, and believe me, you do not want to get it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

john bayog

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice.

NicoleTor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So what was it? My cat has a new white spot in ear.