Bump in cat ear

zoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I noticed this bump in my cat's ear today. It is turgid-soft (like a grape) and flesh coloured, but looks like it might be white underneath the skin. It does not appear to be painful. I don't know how long it's been there, but my guess is not that long, as I spend a lot of time with her and I feel like I would have noticed. To me it looks like a sebaceous cyst and I'm not overly concerned (if I found it on myself I'd be popping that sucker) but I wanted it to check in with you guys to see if I should be. I will have it checked out by the vet, but what with COVID they are still very backed up and it's hard to get an appointment quickly.

Just wondering if I should take her to emergency vet or if this looks safe enough to sit on for a few weeks, as the case may be.

Possibly related info: she is older (15 years old, give or take), in excellent health except (per her most recent vet appointment in March) for herpes and related respiratory issues, which are well managed. She is on low doses of azythromicin, lyseine and cerenia. She has one other bump similar to this (soft, fleshtone) on her forehead, but the vet said they can't aspirate it because it's too small, so I'm just monitoring it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It LOOKS like a little sebaceous cyst, a little fatty deposit that pretty much all warm-blooded creatures can get. However, I'd call the vet, alert him to this,and as if you can email a photo to him to see if he thinks she should come in. I have a suspicion it won't be necessary, but either way, it will relieve your mind.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It LOOKS like a little sebaceous cyst, a little fatty deposit that pretty much all warm-blooded creatures can get. However, I'd call the vet, alert him to this,and as if you can email a photo to him to see if he thinks she should come in. I have a suspicion it won't be necessary, but either way, it will relieve your mind.
Thanks, that's a great idea! I called my vet and they are not doing any kind of consultation by email or phone, but I know they would recommend to bring her in and aspirate it anyway - they're a bit doom-and-gloom type vets and usually present the worst case scenario as a likely possibility, and it seems like at every appointment there's something new that "might be cancer but we can't test for it so just keep an eye on it." (I complain, but other than that I love their service.)

They do offer a video/phone consultation service (it wouldn't be through my vet, but a network of vets in my province) which I am considering doing. I don't mind paying the consult fee, but do you think it's worth it for this kind of issue? I guess I'm afraid they'll just tell me to bring her to my vet anyway and I'll have wasted $70 and not feel any better.

I do feel capable of describing bump accurately, along with the pictures, so maybe that's good enough?

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Know what? Before you spend a lot of money on that phone consult, think about this...you have a good photo now. Take one every other day for a week. If it changes, get that consult. If it does not, ask them to look at it when you take her next, or (of course) if it changes later. But keep the photos, that gives you a record of exactly what it is doing.

zoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Know what? Before you spend a lot of money on that phone consult, think about this...you have a good photo now. Take one every other day for a week. If it changes, get that consult. If it does not, ask them to look at it when you take her next, or (of course) if it changes later. But keep the photos, that gives you a record of exactly what it is doing.
Smart, I'll do exactly that! Thank you!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You are just as welcome as the little flowers that bloom in May! That's what we're here for! Oh..when you do talk with someone, let us know what they think. We'll fret a bit.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Around here, with both animal and human phone consultations that are with an outside service, the bottom line has always been to bring the animal in/come in yourself/ we have a doctor you could see. Basically it does not resolve anything and if necessary they will err on the side of get to the hospital now.

I definitely agree that you can monitor via photos and see if there are changes and then make a decision as to what to do.

zoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thought I would offer an update on this in case anyone stumbles on it in the future. The lump is still there, but the vet couldn't find it at her exam, which I took to be a good sign that a) it's not very big and b) it acts as a sebaceous cyst where some days it's more turgid than others. She has a larger one on her forehead (but roughly similar in size and feel) which the vet did find and she agreed that it was likely just a sebaceous cyst, and didn't recommend attempting to aspirate it unless I really wanted to for my own peace of mind.

So, I am still keep an eye on it, but am no longer concerned.