Bullying or terrible two's?

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know I haven't posted in a while. Been so busy with holidays, family and new creative pursuits. And it's winter so we get the break of having to TnR. Our colony is down to two- yes two fixed cats (praise Bast).

My issue is with a boy we adopted a few months ago. He's reaching one year (in May) and is already trying to mount (not hump just mount to show dominance of all our other cats. He also lays out in a way to block the entryway into the kitchen and litter box area. We have multiple boxes but the favored ones are in our living room and he blocks those.

Is this normal terrible two's behavior or something that if ignored will grow into further problematic cat behavior. Yes, he was neutered at the appropriate age/ weight. He shares the house with his brother (who is his equal) and 6 other cats who are older- some bigger/ some lighter weight.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How are the other cats reacting to his behaviors? If he isn't causing any issues with the other cats, and he isn't fighting with any of them, it might be best to just let it play out. If it starts trouble with the other cats, they start inappropriate pee/poop behaviors, and/or they begin to have eating issues, you will have to step in and teach him some 'manners' on their behalf.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He is actually WELL past the human equivalent of the "terrible twos." That happened back when he was around two months old. Although cats do not have "alphas" in the same sense that dogs do, there is always a dominant cat (sometimes cats) in a clowder. NO ONE looks to them for direction, but they do command the prime eating, sleeping, and (in house cats) litter box positions. The other cats defer to them. This is normal and natural. Sometimes it is subtle, sometimes it is obvious. It appears that your boy is at least attempting to take this position. If the force of his personality is strong enough, the others will submit to this without a fight. IF that is what is happening, as distressing as it seems to you, it is perfectly natural and normal to them. But, OH, it hurts us to see it! We're far more distressed than the cats, actually. So long as the other cats accept this without undue stress, it's just "the new order of things" in a clowder's hierarchy, and all will be fine. That position, BTW, has nothing to do with age or size, and everything to do with "fursonality" and "cattitude."

Now, should spats and fights break out, let us know, and we can attack this from another direction! For now, if life is peaceful, let it be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, he is definitely trying to become the alpha cat. I've had my share of fosters and rescues and have introduced a lot of cats but this is something new to me. I don't know if that's because with fostering the cats go up for adoption before they get this old or when I rescue it's generally older cats. He's right around 10 months old and he's grown very big. I mean he is big all around- he is taller and longer and just more physically imposing than the rest. I have two female semi-ferals that he really butts heads with. One of them has been losing weight and I've started feeding her in a dog crate so she can eat in peace. She is very timid. She is bonded with the other cats- grooming sleeping together etc. but she is nervous around him and I fear she acts like a prey item when he's around her. None of the cats in the house or outside are intact. No strange cats are coming around and he doesn't seem on edge- it really does seem like he's just trying to vie for dominance. Thing is- he's not going after the dominant cats.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to clarify, what do you mean by "mount"? Because like all predators, cats simulate hunting behaviors during play. Getting on top of another cat and biting the neck might look like mounting, but its totally normal. It seems to be especially common if an older or inactive cat is trying to ignore a younger more playful cat -- if the "target" cat is willing to engage in play, you don't get the full "mount" type position because the target is moving/defending too much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just to clarify, what do you mean by "mount"? Because like all predators, cats simulate hunting behaviors during play. Getting on top of another cat and biting the neck might look like mounting, but its totally normal. It seems to be especially common if an older or inactive cat is trying to ignore a younger more playful cat -- if the "target" cat is willing to engage in play, you don't get the full "mount" type position because the target is moving/defending too much.
I mean mount as in dominance not sexual. The cats are the same age though- littermates. Just one male is smaller than the troublesome boy. He has stopped attempting to mount the small female. Thankfully there has been some peace in the house since he gave up on her- but she did come out the lower ranking. Which is fine- he is twice her size.