Bully Cat Scaring Everyone

Emizawesome

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted a cat Noodle. He is fixed. He was very sick when I got him and they found him on the street but he had to be a pet once. I introduced him to my other cats, also fixed, and it went well. I brought them in the room for 5 min several times. I let him out of the room several times into the house and that went well. When he finally settled, and was out of the room 24/7, he began seeing the others as prey. If one cat moves, he runs after him/her and pounces. If i pet one, he goes after them. One slinks around the outskirts and creeps and my other stays on the table. Even when they drink water or go to use the litter, he will attack.
Kiki, my male, started up his peeing habit and it got so bad he lives on the porch.
Pixie, my lady, lives on the table, is scared to be on the floor. She pees sometimes too.
A couple times I came home and there was her fur in clumps everywhere so I know he attacked her hard.
They can all eat in front of each other. I try to distract him but he ignores it or runs off and does it a minute later when Im not looking.
I put lavender on and the attacks were less but Noodle wont leave them alone if he sees them on the floor.
I thought about reintroducing them, like site swapping, but I dont know if it will work now.
I have a lot of blocks and escape points as well for Pixie.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
You need to contain Noodle when you're gone. Also, contain him when you're there and start working on increasing the confidence of your resident cats, with tons of love and playtime.

Just distracting him is definitely not working, since your resident cats are scared for their lives. I personally would rehome him, or them. The stress he is putting them through is seriously detrimental to their health.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to say this but I think Noodle needs to be rehomed and be the only cat. Some cats are just cat aggressive. Since your cats were there first, I think they should stay. Until you can rehome him, I would keep him completely seperate from your other cats. Yes let him out for half the day to run around....... while your other 2 cats are safely locked in a room.

You could try Prozac but there is no guarantee that it will work. Plus it takes weeks to work. Also the dossage may need to increased. Plus your other cats are so stressed that they may need Prozac for a few months to get through being reintroduced to their bully. That seems like a lot for your resident cats to go through.

If you rehome him I would give them 3 months then get a nice little male kitten they can be introduced to (& teach him who is boss from the get go.) A 12 week old kitten should be pretty non threatening, plus if you set up a kitten room your cats can get a break from the kitten when he starts to bug them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Emizawesome

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I could never rehome them. I love them too much. Besides, Noodle is skittish and has GI issues so he has poop accidents so I doubt hed get adopted.
I have started keeping him in a crate at night. I will do playtime on the floor. That should help.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
May I ask, why a crate? Why not a room? If it's because of his poop issues, try getting some puppy pee pads, or put a used plastic shower curtain (a used one to avoid the new-curtain fumey stink - not good for cats) or plastic tarp since those don't have fumes, on the floor.

However you contain him, as noted you need to do this when you leave as well.

So, in addition to more love and playtime - with him contained and away from your two victim cats also, at least to begin with, try this;
Increase the calming products. There are over the counter collars and treats for Noodles that aren't as ridiculously expensive as calming diffusers. You mentioned lavender which wasn't strong enough, there are products with chamomile and valerian also, etc.

Also there is music which can help your other kitties.

You also need to try something else that has worked in other similar situations. Right when he's about to go after another kitty, hiss at him, loud and firm, just like a mama cat would and say a loud NO. Also, take a metal can and fill it about halfway with coins. When he's going into stalker/chaser mode, give that can a really hard shake. Jangly, noisy keys thrown hard onto the floor next to him can also be helpful to pop his brain out of predator mode. These will require repetitive, consistent application, but they do work.

Try low volume classical harp music, and there is an app called Relax My Cat, there is MusicForCats.com and also George Handel compositions are known to help a cat to relax.

Also, here are some of a fast-growing section of pet products;
Bachs Rescue Remedy, Richard's Organics Pet Calm-this one is drops that you put on the tip of the tongue. Also, Quiet Moments Cat treats, there is Calming Care, Calm-o-mile, Sentry, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has a calming product, Pet Naturals also has one I believe.

Also Thunderease has products as does Sentry.
You might want to check with your vet, but some people have good results with CBD oil.
Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course chewy, also there's Petwishpros, drsfostersmith, animaleo, Petco and PetSmart, and other pet stores.

There is a product called a lickimat which could be helpful, as cats can be calmed by the process of licking. The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats

This discussion's post talks about some other products;
Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would look into some type of containment - a room or an enclosure with enough room for a small cat tree, bed and litter box - to give everyone some space and peace to eat and eliminate ... separation sounds like the best option. I know re-homing an animal is always traumatic for everyone involved but it sounds like you have a few traumatized cats already. It is so hard when you have one cat who becomes a danger to the rest and I know you are doing all you can to help but sometimes ... cats might just not be meant to live in a group and they are plain unhappy in a multi cat home.

Wonderfulcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you really want to keep him then you need to have a nice room for him to live in away from the others. After a while you can slowly introduce him to the others again but he doesn't sound like a friendly type. Sometimes it simply doesn't work out. There's a chance he will have to keep living in a seperate room.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you aren't going to rehome him, and I understand totally, I've had a couple of those, then go on and go through the introduction process again. You may have to do it several times, some boys are stubborn. Just keep doing it. do not leave him alone with the others. A crate will do if you must. Injuries will only set things back.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

Emizawesome

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
May I ask, why a crate? Why not a room? If it's because of his poop issues, try getting some puppy pee pads, or put a used plastic shower curtain (a used one to avoid the new-curtain fumey stink - not good for cats) or plastic tarp since those don't have fumes, on the floor.

However you contain him, as noted you need to do this when you leave as well.

So, in addition to more love and playtime - with him contained and away from your two victim cats also, at least to begin with, try this;
Increase the calming products. There are over the counter collars and treats for Noodles that aren't as ridiculously expensive as calming diffusers. You mentioned lavender which wasn't strong enough, there are products with chamomile and valerian also, etc.

Also there is music which can help your other kitties.

You also need to try something else that has worked in other similar situations. Right when he's about to go after another kitty, hiss at him, loud and firm, just like a mama cat would and say a loud NO. Also, take a metal can and fill it about halfway with coins. When he's going into stalker/chaser mode, give that can a really hard shake. Jangly, noisy keys thrown hard onto the floor next to him can also be helpful to pop his brain out of predator mode. These will require repetitive, consistent application, but they do work.

Try low volume classical harp music, and there is an app called Relax My Cat, there is MusicForCats.com and also George Handel compositions are known to help a cat to relax.

Also, here are some of a fast-growing section of pet products;
Bachs Rescue Remedy, Richard's Organics Pet Calm-this one is drops that you put on the tip of the tongue. Also, Quiet Moments Cat treats, there is Calming Care, Calm-o-mile, Sentry, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has a calming product, Pet Naturals also has one I believe.

Also Thunderease has products as does Sentry.
You might want to check with your vet, but some people have good results with CBD oil.
Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course chewy, also there's Petwishpros, drsfostersmith, animaleo, Petco and PetSmart, and other pet stores.

There is a product called a lickimat which could be helpful, as cats can be calmed by the process of licking. The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats

This discussion's post talks about some other products;
Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat
I will look into those. He needs to chill out for sure.
I tell him no, but I will try the hissing.

Emizawesome

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If he is in a room he will rip up the door and around it so I just crate him.

I think I will introduce them all again to see if it helps. I think he is just too jealous because hes a Burmese.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would keep him in a room but put upside down cat mats in front of the door. Also he needs out for half the day so he doesn't go insane. Which means you need a room to keep your other cat in.

Keeping him in a crate all day or even for half a day sounds cruel. Also if the other cats can get close to the crate it may stress him out and make him feel more aggressive.

It took us 18 months to find a home for a adult ?russian blue? Who was abdanded during the housing crisis. He was cat aggressive. Nothing we did calmed him toward other cats. So in the end he was restricted to coming inside with supervision only and only in the livingroom/kitchen. He was a total love bug housecat but he would not get along with our other cats. When he fought he went all for it in serious cat fight mode, not a cat spat. My point is sometimes some cats are meant to be only cats.

If you insist on keeping him I would try Prozac, give him his own room and be sure to let him out for half of each day. You have to consider what is best for him and what is best for all your cats. I'm not sure if the other calming products will work or not (they seem to work sometimes and not work other times) but they couldn't hurt.

If I had known about Prozac I would have tried it on the abdonded love bug. He was successfully rehomed and lived happily ever after.

Emizawesome

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I get it would be better for the cats if I rehome Noodle but thats not an option for me. I love my cats and each one gives me something different to love and I need.
Im going to try everything but they are able to be near each other so I think there is hope.
Im going to reintroduce next week so we will see how it goes.
I rehomed a cat before and it was horrible. Im not doing that agian.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've lived in a house divided with one male in one set of rooms and the other in another. You just need to be careful. Keep either bath sheets (those huge towels like for the beach) or blankets or devuts in each room. That way if they do get together and start to fight you can throw the blanket over them. This confuses them and breaks up the fight without you getting damaged. Grab the one still under the blanket and put him in the other room. later sort out who goes where.

For now let's hope the re-introduction works.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Maggie is not aggressive but she likes to chase my cat Peaches which she does not like. Her play time is before she has breakfast,evening, and especially at night so I play with her at those times. Trying to give her 3rd meal earlier so I don't stay up late!

Emizawesome

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Maggie is not aggressive but she likes to chase my cat Peaches which she does not like. Her play time is before she has breakfast,evening, and especially at night so I play with her at those times. Trying to give her 3rd meal earlier so I don't stay up late!
Noodle has playtime in the evenings to wear him out. He chases but he has attacked before. He mosty runs at them and his eyes are wide.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has he hurt anyone? Blood scratches? Screaming doesn't count. It's possible he's trying to play and the others don't understand. Watch their body language and his carefully. Is it loose, tense? Cat's play by by play hunting, stalking and fighting with each other. When one goes too hard the other screams for him to knock it off.

Of course they may actually be afraid of him regardless of his intentions.

Are My Cats Fighting Or Playing?