Bully cat, or bored cat?

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hey there

It's been awhile, but I'm having some disputes between a couple of my cats, and wondered if the community could weigh in?

We brought Little Helen home last November. She adjusted well, got along well with everyone, with only one real point of conflict: one week she seemed to be Matt's "girlfriend" and the next she was Midnights.......whichever one she picked, the other was moody

Now recently, the issue seems to be Midnight.........he seems to be going out of his way to pick on her. Started out as not taking no for an answer, when he wanted to play-she's a rough-and-tumble, all-claws-bared scrapper, and he loves it. Now it's his daily routine to ambush her until she growls and swipes at him from a place under furnature.

His morning routine looks like this:

I put the two younger cats in the basement, so that we can get some sleep, so when I get up, I let them upstairs again and feed all three cats. Three different bowls, lined up about a foot apart. They usually switch part way through.

After breakfast he does his own thing until about 11am, when he gets chatty, and wants attention. I'll play with him, and give him scritches, maybe bring out the laser. 

When he's done with me, between 11:30-12, he goes looking for Helen. If she doesn't want to play, he'll say  Mrrr! and pounce on her anyway, triggering a fight, and pressing it until she kicks his fur.

After I break them up, because Helen's under the bed, growling at him, he wanders off to find some ponytails, or other amusement....maybe take a nap until the kids get home from school. 

Now we have plenty of litter boxes, spread over both floors, and two large water bowls. The cats all start with their own food bowls, though they swap three or four times during a meal. I can't pin down exactly how long this has been going on, and I never hear any signs of trouble when they're downstairs at night...and they do still curl up together to sleep in the afternoon.

So I don't know if this is aggression, or "annoying little brother syndrome" ?  

Matt hates the fighting, and rushes to break it up.........but then, he purrs at me, and looks up for approval every time, so I don't know how much of that is him being a good boy. 

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all, I'd get them to the vet to rule out any medical problems.  Then, I'd look into using some calming agents such as Feliway, Rescue Remedy, or some of the blends from Spirit Essences.

It actually sounds like he's wanting attention, so before it starts, redirect him with an interactive toy like a laser pointer or DaBird.  With my bully cat, I know he's going to misbehave when I've not given him enough attention, we've been busy or out of the house more than normal, or we're stressed out.  So start giving him more attention and see if that helps, with all of the above suggestions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He's about due for his yearly check-up, so I'll mention it when I see him. 

However this isn't out of character for Midnight. As a kitten her would terrorise Matt, and the two would scuffle. He's born feral, and his littermates always play-fought with him. He used to pounce and attack them, too, out in the back yard, and once when I fed them, he chased off a full-grown cat, though he was only 1.7lbs

I'll try and distract him...I'm not so good with Da Bird-that's my daughter's specialty, but he likes it when I set up a shoelace game for him. He's too savvy for the Laser...watches me instead lol!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also, be sure you're feeding him an appropriate amount of food.  Preferably with a lot of protein and not any grains.  I have found that when I cut back too much on my terrorist's food, he's more aggressive with my oldest cat.  Also, try running a Feliway diffuser to help de-stress and calm all of them down.  Again, my guy gets more aggressive when it's time to change the diffuser.