Bull butchering

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad is going to take in a bull to be butchered and I want to get some his organs to feed to my cats. I know heart is safe to feed but how much? And I know liver to be fed in limited amount but how often can I feed it? is there any other organs can I fed? Like kidneys? Do I need to cook them?

two are 7-8 pounds and two 10+ pounds

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Better make sure they'll eat it before spending a lot of time processing it and filling the freezer. I tried it with deer (heart and liver) and mine would have nothing to do with it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yeah, I don't know if they will eat it. But I'm sure that they will. They eat pretty much anything meat, they're not picky. but I've never given them organs so Just have to cut a small piece and see.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
My kitten sure did take to beef. I got 40 lbs of dog meat for $40 and she's enjoying it right along with the pooches and doing quite well.

Beef heart counts as muscle meat, but it is loaded with taurine and very inexpensive at the grocery store. $2.50 worth fed my crew (large kitten with a larger appetite and two Chihuahua mixes) for a whole day.

I haven't given Willow beef liver yet, but I did see some at the grocery store and it was huge. You'll need to cut that up. Liver should be roughly 5% of a cat's diet. You'll want a secreting organ for the other 5% if you're doing 80-10-10. Definitely grab the kidneys and pancreas if you can.

I'm guessing that your dad is going to want the muscle meat, or at least the cuts like sirloin, T-Bone, etc. but he might not even want the organs. That's where carnivores get their vitamins so I'd really hate to see all that good stuff just go to waste.

My kitten loves her organs. Getting them into Willow is no problem at all, but my pooches are different story.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many years past, my aunt would buy calves kidneys for her spoiled rotten cat. If I remember, she would simmer the kidneys before dicing them for the kitty.