Bulging Vulva

Gypsy Koons

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I am new to this site but I have read threads for quite some time and you members are so knowledgeable. My question is, my female Maine Coon Veronica is due any day, she is 65 days today this is her first litter and we are expecting 6 from what the vet can tell on her x ray. About 5 days to a week ago I noticed her vulva looked to be slightly bulging looking almost like a small hemorrhoid, is that normal? I asked my mentor/friend and she was unsure, so I thought I would ask you all, I finally got a good picture of it last night so that you can see what I am talking about. There is no discharge she is eating and drinking, no temperature just really uncomfortable, but who wouldn’t be!
A35E3809-73D2-42E7-AAC1-01750DDA34C8.jpeg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It looks like she is ready to pop those kittens out!

It may be part of a kitten sack or placenta showing. I do not think it is an emergency, but you can send the picture to your vet to ask.

If she will let you, a warm damp compress may soothe the area a bit.

:vibes:That she delivers soon and safely! Do keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gypsy Koons

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, I did the warm damp compresses, And added a little lubrication to the area to keep moist, Since she can hardly get down there to clean herself. I also contacted my vet and am waiting for her response I did feel around and it moves away so I don’t think any thing is obstructing the opening.

Gypsy Koons

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet thinks it might be a slight prolapse but shouldn’t be a problem with birthing, still no babies 66 days today.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Is your vet experienced with pregnant cats? In your position I’d be getting a second opinion and seriously considering an elective c-section spay. Prolapse can easily get worse while the queen is pushing, and kittens may get stuck, considering the prolapse looks like it’s interfering with the vulva. Much like humans, cats will prolapse easier after the first time it happens, so I wouldn’t risk breeding her again. C-sections are tough on them, and she’s likely to prolapse again next litter.
Have you spoken to your mentor? What did they say? Does she have cats in her ancestry who have prolapsed previously?

Gypsy Koons

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She had her babies this morning from 8:30-10:45 am all six are out, She did amazing, I barely had to assist and every thing looks good down there. She ate and drank after, But she threw up about @ 4:30 pm. Is that normal?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wonderful news! Are all kittens nursing well?

Did mom eat all 6 placentas? It’s not unusual for mom to have an upset tummy after all the work and stress of labor and delivery. She may even experience some diarrhea. It takes a couple of days for new mom’s hormones to calm down and for mom to settle in. She should be okay!

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Has she been pooping? I’d be concerned it could be a blockage, especially if she continues vomiting and she hasn’t been having normal bowel movements after you noticed the prolapse. Something to keep an eye on, imo.

Gypsy Koons

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has had normal bowl movements up until birth. She didn’t eat all 6 placentas. She had no fever and seems content with her babies. I just discovered the runt that sounded crackly when breathing, had a cleft pallet and does not want to latch on or interest. It looks like a pretty bad cleft pallet. And mommas vulva looks good and normal after birth.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The runt with the cleft palate needs to be euthanized or it will die a painful death. It’s too young for corrective surgery. It’s unable to nurse and may already have aspirated milk while nursing. Is there an emergency vet you can take it to right away? I’m so sorry about this kitten’s condition and prognosis, but it is already suffering. 😢

Gypsy Koons Gypsy Koons

Last edited:

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Depending on extent of cleft palate, kitten can either be bottle fed or, more likely, tube fed. No need to immediately go to extremes, imo.

ETA: did you clear lungs on the cleft palate kitten? You’ll want to look up the accordion method if you’re not familiar.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She has had normal bowl movements up until birth. She didn’t eat all 6 placentas. She had no fever and seems content with her babies. I just discovered the runt that sounded crackly when breathing, had a cleft pallet and does not want to latch on or interest. It looks like a pretty bad cleft pallet. And mommas vulva looks good and normal after birth.
Re cleft palate. The chances arent terribly good, but they can sometimes by saved by hand feeding. If so they dont need to suckle, its enough they can swallow.
With any luck, no surgery is necessary, at least not at once. Perhaps later on when occasion aries, say when he is neutered.

Gypsy Koons

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, well it was a whirl wind of a first time momma /first time breeder experience, “disclosures, before people want to get bent out of shape: This has been a life long dream of mine! I have invested a lot of time, energy, love and money into starting my cattery. I have a small buisness of my own, a husband and family, so all the time and
BFF16D69-D270-405D-B171-EAA5AB3D28CA.jpeg
9913EFB5-1F42-4B84-9CEA-C095A6A11845.jpeg
D82E904A-ADE5-4B87-8F8A-207E747FA5A0.jpeg
44F8DC05-3383-41D0-8D16-F82E9713B55F.jpeg
E4BA1C3C-3286-48C1-8352-6AB03DD8D491.jpeg
attention and money I spend on my babies is from the sweat off of my back and every one starts some where! My maiden female maine coon went into labor on Monday @68 days gestation from first day with male. in the three days they were together there was no witness breeds, but at 26 days we seen on ultra sound that she was expecting which I assumed because of her behavior, eating patterns and nipples pinking up. as stated above, She had six babies which is what we seen in the x-rays a week and a half before the litter was born, From there things seemed to go down hill, The bulging vulva, the kitten with a severe cleft pallet which I will show pictures of passed away within 8 hrs after birth. Being as though it was Labor Day and I am 100 miles from the nearest emergency vet. That night, Labor Day night momma Veronica, started throwing up, She had never thrown up, not even a hair ball I knew something was probably not okay, Over the night she had thrown up 6 times (all water because she was not eating). So that morning I have one kitten that passed away and a very sick lethargic mom, I took her to the vet as soon as they opened @8:30 am on the 7th they gave her a shot of convenia, oxytocin, and cerenia for nausea. The five remaining kittens lost some weight but were still at a larger weight then at birth. We made it through the day I supplemented 1 ml of milk to each one and had to stimulate them to go to the bathroom a few times through the day because Veronica was out of it. Around 1 pm on the 7th, watching her via web cam from my work, I noticed a little bright red blood, I rushed home (4 min) away and came home to find a small chunk of what I could only assume was placenta about the size of a nickel. There was no prolapse just a piece of placenta that was causing so much problems. Ever since mom has been eating and drinking and each kitten has gained at leas 20 grams since birth. They are doing amazing and momma Veronica is the most amazing momma! I couldn’t be more amazed at her love and affection, her willingness to let me help her every step of the way. The first baby born actually opened his eyes today, And even though it is day three (and I know I am keeping them libricated with genteal eye) they are all thriving and well! Thank you all for your responses, and love! We all have to start some where and here is my start story! Veronicas family had no prior history , Her breeder has had a lot of litters and has never had a cleft pallet or a Polyp coming from her vulva. We were all at a loss. I have been stressed to the ultimate max over the last three days. But for now I can breath! Check weights and love on momma and give her all of the food! I hope you enjoy the pictures and the one of my cleft babie can teach others what to look for! Love and best wishes to you all!