Bugsy's Vet Visit - 1st Follow up Since Raw

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today was Bugsy's Annual vet visit, and his first follow up since we started raw six months ago.
Dr. E was SO impressed with him! He said the difference is night and day :clap::clap::clap:
First of, he has a clean butt :lol3::lol3::lol3:
Second, he felt no signs of inflammation at all, no signs of gas, nothing - Bugsy didn't show any discomfort during the exam, which is a first. :nod:
As some of you know, Bugsy had an ER visit on the 16th - he threw up several meals, and I thought he was blocked. The x-rays didn't show signs of a blockage. A few days ago, it happened again.
In discussing with Dr. E., he agrees the problem is hairballs - a hairball lodged in the bottom of his stomach, in between the stomach and intestines - it doesn't move up or down. He sees this quite a bit this time of the year, especially with long hair cats. He checked the x-rays, everything looks great - his kidneys and liver look great and normal size, so does his digestive system :clap::clap::clap:
He does think Laxatone is the best solution, used short term. I asked about the link of white petrolatum and cancer, and he said he never heard of such a thing, or a study linking the two of them, but will look further and call me if he finds that is the case.
I asked about egg lecithin - he said for a cat with IBD, it can cause diarrhea - that is the issue for Bugsy. The advantage of Laxatone is that it is only a lubricant and doesn't have laxative properties.
So, Bugsy is now on 2" of Laxatone every couple of days for a week, then the same dosage of it a couple of times a week until fall.
A month or so ago Bugsy was scratching himself to the point of bleeding - I told him I added Krill oil to his diet and that stopped - he said that's a perfect solution, couldn't chosen anything better for his skin.
And now the second best news (aside from his poop :lol3:) - I discussed discontinuing his Stomatitis treatment, and had him check his mouth.... He said his mouth looked amazing! :clap::clap::clap: And yes, he completely recommended discontinuing the drugs and seeing how he does without it. There is a chance his Stomatitis can be related to the general inflammation he was having, as well as his IBD, and if so, his diet might be taking care of it. We might as well spare his liver and kidneys :clap::clap::clap:
He said when he first checked him his mouth was really awful, and now it is a light case of gingivitis, a grade "1" (from 1-4)
We will keep checking him every 2-3 weeks to see how he progresses, see how he does without the treatment..... If he can hold his own, he will be one drug free kitty :clap::clap::clap::clap:
Oh, another good news - he was 18lbs 2oz today :woohoo:
In the end of the consult, he said "I am LOVING this diet" And explained to the vet tech Bugsy's history, how bad Bugsy was, and for how long..... and everything we tried and went through..... and how Bugsy was good in a couple of days of eating raw! Then gave Bugsy a hug :rub: and let me out of the door - he was SO excited......!!

One last thing........
Dr. E played a huge part in saving Bugsy.... He is near and dear to my :heart: .... Please keep him and his family on his prayer as his little boy, Connor, has Cancer and is going through a battle of his own with Chemo.... He is only 8... :( :heart3:

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:woohoo: :woohoo: :clap: :clap: :clap: Oh Carolina, what (not unexpected) but AMAZING, WONDERFUL NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I am sorry about the hairball. Once they get to that point, there's really not much TO do. I do hope the laxatone will help. :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

As to the stomatitis? I have a feeling this was related to the general diet-related inflammation. :nod: I bet your Bugsy is going to be medication-free! :dance:

OK - I won't celebrate yet. :D :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

Carolina, you fought a long, hard battle with Bugsy and his IBD. :nod: I'm just SO HAPPY for you two that a species-appropriate diet is what he needed, and that you're BOTH thriving on it! :flail: :D :hugs: :rub:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Laurie :hugs:

Bugsy didn't appreciate the trip too much, but he is all better now- all it took was dinner :flail:
I am sooo happy Dr. E got to see him today, I was waiting for this day to arrive for a while :clap::clap::clap: I have to say, I am a bit nervous about discontinuing the stomatitis treatment; the last time he went off of it, he got in a bad bad shape, had an infection, and had to have a few extractions because of it :sobbing:
He was off of it because of his liver, for a while......
But then, he was on nasty vegetarian kibbles (Royal Canin HP), and not doing as well as he is today..... So hopefully this is not going to be the case :cross:

As for the hairballs........ Could be worst.....
He did say the laxatone can help making them move down :cross: he said it can help to lubricate enough to dislodge it :cross: again :cross:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I hope he's right about BOTH the laxatone and the stomatitis treatment.

So when are you taking Bugsy off the meds - and when are you taking him back for a recheck? Will he go to Dr. E or the dentist re: the stomatitis recheck?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, and I'm SO SO sorry to hear about his little boy. :( Of course, many :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: for Connor! :heart2:

How heartbreaking. Children with caner is just so hard for everyone. :(

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I hope he's right about BOTH the laxatone and the stomatitis treatment.
So when are you taking Bugsy off the meds - and when are you taking him back for a recheck? Will he go to Dr. E or the dentist re: the stomatitis recheck?
Bugsy has been off the meds for the last 2 days (remember he had a :barf: episode a couple days ago, I did not want to give it to him) - I was going to put him back on tonight, but I simply won't.
He will be going back to Dr. E..... He said 2 to 3 weeks......
I will take him in on the week of the 13th. From there we will schedule the next appointment. He wants to monitor him very closely - if things change, he will put him back on the meds. I think he will be going to see him often for a while..... it will hurt on the pocket.... but it's worth it.... It's something I want to do for him :rub:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, and I'm SO SO sorry to hear about his little boy. :( Of course, many :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: for Connor! :heart2:
How heartbreaking. Children with caner is just so hard for everyone. :(
It is..... He was on the verge of tears when I asked about him.... :bawling: He had a chemo treatment today, and has 42 more to go :( That's a lot! :(
Here is Connor http://www.facebook.com/InConnorsCorner
I bought a bracelet for $20 to help out today :heart3:
God..... I just hope he makes it alright :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

dianeandbooboo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so happy to hear that everything is going so well for you and Bugsy.  I do believe that a raw diet can work wonders in restoring health and preventing many chronic illnesses.  It is a great feeling to know the choices you have made has worked to improve their health;)

whollycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aw Carolina, you brought tears to my eyes; happy tears though! I haven't "known" you for long here at TCS, being a somewhat newer member, but I have read about your Bugsy and the trials and tribulations you two have gone through. I am over the moon happy at this wonderful, and I mean W-O-N-D-E-R-F-U-L, news!!  You go, girl..and you go, Bugsy!!!

Hey, did Dr. E say anything about tapering off his stomatitis med? I hear you on being scared to not give it, so that is why I ask.

I most certainly will add Connor to my prayer list. Poor little guy. Breaks your heart what he has to go through...hopefully it will be a good outcome for him. I'll also go check out his FB page to show my support. Sending cyber
his way.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw Carolina, you brought tears to my eyes; happy tears though! I haven't "known" you for long here at TCS, being a somewhat newer member, but I have read about your Bugsy and the trials and tribulations you two have gone through. I am over the moon happy at this wonderful, and I mean W-O-N-D-E-R-F-U-L, news!!  You go, girl..and you go, Bugsy!!! :woohoo:

Hey, did Dr. E say anything about tapering off his stomatitis med? I hear you on being scared to not give it, so that is why I ask.

I most certainly will add Connor to my prayer list. Poor little guy. Breaks your heart what he has to go through...hopefully it will be a good outcome for him. I'll also go check out his FB page to show my support. Sending cyber :hugs: his way.
Aww Thank you, on all counts, for Bugsy and for the prayers for little Connor too :hugs:
Well, the Stomatitis medication is a proprietary formula, and all the drugs in it are in sub-clinical quantities..... So while it works amazingly well, there is no real reason to taper him off.... We just need to monitor him closely and see what happens.... I think having him seen every 2-3 weeks, at least in the beginning is a good plan..... Hopefully he won't get worst :cross:

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:woohoo: OH Carolina - I am just beaming from ear to ear over how well your little baby Bugsy is doing!! Just wonderful, incredible news and all because of the raw diet :wow: You have done a great job on all fronts with your little boys progress :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: You have come such a long way and fought so hard to get Bugsy where he is at today. Just amazing, hun :hugs: :heart3: :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: :wow:

For little Connor, bless his little heart.... life can be so cruel and difficult. :shame: Massive vibes for him and his family... :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:woohoo: OH Carolina - I am just beaming from ear to ear over how well your little baby Bugsy is doing!! Just wonderful, incredible news and all because of the raw diet :wow: You have done a great job on all fronts with your little boys progress :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: You have come such a long way and fought so hard to get Bugsy where he is at today. Just amazing, hun :hugs: :heart3: :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: :wow:
For little Connor, bless his little heart.... life can be so cruel and difficult. :shame: Massive vibes for him and his family... :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
Thank you Lauren :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:
You have been there every step of the way, and I so, so appreciate that :hugs: :hugs:
Definitely a special trip to the vet..... The first one to share a victory, and not because he was sick :woo:
And it makes it even more special is that you can tell when your vet truly cares for your pet, you know? So sharing these victories with them is that much sweeter. He too was beaming ear to ear.... And just kept petting and hugging Bugsy.... :rub: Saying how amazing he was doing, and how thrilled he was for the both of us.
I am very very fortunate to be here...... SO fortunate to have finally gotten a clue and starting him on raw :clap:, to have him healthy, and to have an excellent and caring vet supporting him through it all :bigthumb:
And of course couldn't done without you guys, my TCS family :grphug: You kept me sane -
I remember vaguely a post where I was asking for Valium or something as strong in the beginning of their transition :flail:

Last edited:

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I rarely check into TCS these days, but I happened to tonight and am I ever so glad I did; Carolina, this is an AWESOME update on Bugsy! And how wonderful that he may even be able to go completely drug free. I am teary-eyed reading this!

AC

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Great news on the Bugsy front

Terrible news about Connor

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well.... It seems Laxatone worked for Bugsy as just that - a Laxative :doh3:
He didn't have diarrhea, but his poop was softer enough that I am afraid if I continue he will end up with one..... Lots of hair though, so it is working somewhat :nod:
Will try plan b - the egg lecithin, and see what happens :cross:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OH Carolina :lol3: I think we all needed something much stronger than Valium in the beginning of the transition. I still remember those days a few months ago. We were on our threads day and night - laughing, :flail:, crying :bawling:, screaming :yelling:, mad as :censor: :stomp:, and then some days SOOOOOO happy :happy3: :D :D .... We were crazy back then :crazy: WAIT what am I saying............................ I am still CRAZY some days - but the difference is.... is that I am used to it :flail:

Anyhoo - still over the moon for Bugsy and his momma :hugs: :rub: :heart3: :woohoo: :high5:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, good, interesting, and no so good news Bugsy today on his follow up.....
The excellent news is that after 15 days without stomatitis medicine, his mouth continues exactly the same - no inflammation whatsoever :clap::clap::clap::clap:
It is early to tell, but this is a very, very good sign! :woohoo: Maybe :cross: his mouth inflammation might have been related to his diet - just like his IBD...... we will see..... Time will tell :cross:

The interesting news - Dr. E enters the room kind of mad.... "Bugsy gained a lot of weight :nono:" He gained 1.4 lbs in the last 2 weeks - I nearly passed out :thud:
Said WHAT? :eek2:
Then he said: I can't feel his kidneys, which means there is fat around his kidneys, pancreas, and liver - you are risking ending up with a diabetic cat as he gets older :smshfrk:
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Bad, Bad Bugsy, WHO are you stealing food from, I thought? :nono:
Asked him what his healthy weight is - he said Bugsy is a big cat - aim for 16lbs...... which mean he needs to lose 2 lbs. He wants to feel his kidneys.
Anyways - I got out of there all confused - HOW in the heck could Bugsy gotten so much fatter in so little time? :scale:
They had in their files 17.2 lbs.
So I got home and came straight to TCS.... and to my scale - sure enough :sweat: I think they wrote it wrong! In my scale, which I weighed him immediately after coming home on the same day, I had 18.2, and I had the same here on TCS too...... (my scale keeps the memory).
Today, he was 18.
Sure...... NOT optimum - but he did NOT gain weight :nod:
I made a mistake these two weeks - I relaxed and gave him some WL treats..... and also some meals he ate a tiny bit of Lucky's food - NO more.
God, Dr. E scared the heck out of me :lol3:

Anyways - the not so good news - a while back Bugsy started scratching..... He had some wounds on his neck that were really bad. With O-3, Allederm and Neo-predef he got better, but then last week he showed up with a bad wound again. I went out of town and when I came back his wound was REALLY bad. Not infected, but big, raw, and bleeding.
Dr. E really thinks it is allergies - not food, as he has been eating raw for a while and he didn't have this before, but seasonal. Now the problem -what to do. Bugsy has some medicine reactions that makes it incredibly difficult to treat him for different things.
One alternative would be Depo-medrol - that is out of question for Bugsy. We discussed Zyrtec also.... He said if he has such horrible reactions to depo-medrol, a antihistamine can be even worst - he can either crash or flip. He said for a sensitive cat as him the reaction can be much worst. There is another injectable steroid, that lasts even longer to depo. We both got to the conclusion that for obvious reasons, we better not risk that one.
The one medicine that Bugsy has no reactions, and does work well for allergies is prednisolone - a very low dose, short term, just for the season - probably stopping around October. 5mg for the first 3 days, then every other day.....
The one problem with pred? Yep - it will make him hungry :doh3: So Dr. E said to be careful :hide:

Meanwhile..... Pred will keep the inflammation on his mouth down, so we will not have areal picture of what is going on there - if it is the diet or the pred that is working..... But....
I also had them put soft claws on his back claws so he can't scratch his wounds......
So.... now onto our (not so) new adventure......
We really need to get going on him losing some weight......
Dr. E said later that he is going to be alright because of the raw diet, and his sugar level is really good..... but he can NOT get older as chubby (ok, he said fat :lol3:) as he is, because of the fat layers around his organs....... That is a :nono: And it worries him :hide:

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well THAT was a rollercoaster! :lol3:

SO happy to hear he didn't actually gain that weight! :clap:

And even happier to hear that his gums look great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I am sorry to hear about the allergies. Keep us posted on how the pred is helping. :nod: I suffer allergies, and up here it has been SO miserable!!!!! :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well THAT was a rollercoaster! :lol3:
SO happy to hear he didn't actually gain that weight! :clap:
And even happier to hear that his gums look great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I am sorry to hear about the allergies. Keep us posted on how the pred is helping. :nod: I suffer allergies, and up here it has been SO miserable!!!!! :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:
Oh Laurie :flail: I agree - total rollercoaster for you, Carolina :hugs: :hugs:

BUT look on the bright side, Bugsy HAS lost weight since the beginning of the year. You are not too far off the Dr. E's recommended weight for your little goat :whitecat: :nod: YOU can do it!!!!!!!!! Your such a good momma to your babies :heart2: :rub: :clap::clap: I have not done weigh ins in well over six weeks now. :eek: I am concerned because my kitties are all looking more plump :anon: AND hearing what Dr. E. felt on Bugsy with fat layers over the organs has me thinking about my fatties. Need to watch that :nod:

:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: for the Pred - man, Pred really is a miracle drug as long as you can dose the lowest possible to gain the benefit!! And it is only needed for Bugsy on a seasonal basis, then all is good!!! He is not a herpes kitty though, right? I don't think he is, just asking because it is contraindicated (Pred) for Herpes kitties like my Perla. :hugs: :rub: :heart3: :vibes:

Last edited: