Bug Question: What Do You Think These Are?

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
A week or so ago, I noticed two of these egg clusters on the outside of one of my windows. This photo is a close up: Each of the little orange spots is a bit smaller than the head of a pin so not horrifying.
9BB1882F-061D-4287-9356-514AFFAA88CF.jpeg
I‘ve been keeping an eye on them, and today, I saw that one of the clusters had started to hatch. Again, this is an extreme close up which I could barely see with the naked eye. The camera caught it well, though. I never saw anything crawl away, but those little legs in the upper right were waving a bit. Does anyone have any idea what they could be? It’s kind of fascinating (since they’re tiny and outside :) ).
B94D803B-EC57-488F-B1C0-5AB49ABADC32.jpeg

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Not a clue. Beetles maybe. Try and get a video of them hatching. Few days ago I saw 2 lizards on my porch. It looked like they were hugging so I might have some baby lizards

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
When I tried to do a reverse image search, spider eggs came up. I don't know if that's what it is though.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Scratch that. Here's something. Identical to what you have.

Spider Eggs

Oops I didn't see Willowy's post. She's probably correct as I see 4 legs on your photo and not the 8 legs of an arachnid

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
I googled "egg cluster on window" and it seems like most say it's stink bug eggs. And the babies look like they might grow up to be stink bugs.

More googling. . .yep, look at these pictures, that looks like them:
Life Stages - StopBMSB.org
Oooooh, yeah. If you look at them, they do kind of resemble stink bugs!

...Awful things.

Isabel ate one once. She was not a happy camper.

catheetiem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree, definitely look like stinkbugs! One flew down my shirt just yesterday as I was walking in the door, finally got him back outside before the little kitten could get at him

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Stink bugs suck on whatever. Luckily I live in an apartment so every week an exterminator sprays outside. I think they are more likely to live where it's hot so I am surprised they would be up north

catheetiem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Stink bugs suck on whatever. Luckily I live in an apartment so every week an exterminator sprays outside. I think they are more likely to live where it's hot so I am surprised they would be up north
Oh, I'm in CT and we've always had them! It does get hot up here, it's been in the high 80s, low 90s for a few weeks straight now, and it'll get into the low 100s at some point this summer. We have a ton of them in my yard (and often in my house!!)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had a white version all over my car door one time. I think they were moth eggs but I didn't let them hatch to find out. Maybe if the moth laid them somewhere else on my car but they were right next to the door handle. No thank you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks for checking, MoonstoneWolf MoonstoneWolf Spider was my first thought, but I think you’re right, W Willowy . Stink bugs. Mine have the colors reversed from those in the link you posted, and that site shows pale green eggs rather than pale peach, but the striped markings and bodies look just like the stink bugs pictured. maggie101 maggie101 , I couldn’t get video because they don’t really move much, just wave an occasional leg. There are no little striped bugs toddling away from the egg cluster. They probably hatch at night.

Here’s today’s progress. More legs! :lol:
C3BCB178-40D7-4B24-8465-2025CDF6BEC5.jpeg

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Nature is SO interesting! I went out after dinner to check on the hatchlings, and they were all gone.
5597C0DB-AE7F-47D1-8012-223174C1E5C4.jpeg
But wait! There’s more! I glanced down about eight inches, and there they all were in a cluster! 😯 I wish I had seen the mini migration. Did they all troop down together? Did one follow another in a line? Did they wander down a few at a time? And why all together? I mean, they’re bugs. How much family feeling can they have? :headscratch:
66DDDCC3-4993-4B6C-AEE2-C88350F5B67E.jpeg

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for checking, MoonstoneWolf MoonstoneWolf Spider was my first thought, but I think you’re right, W Willowy . Stink bugs. Mine have the colors reversed from those in the link you posted, and that site shows pale green eggs rather than pale peach, but the striped markings and bodies look just like the stink bugs pictured. maggie101 maggie101 , I couldn’t get video because they don’t really move much, just wave an occasional leg. There are no little striped bugs toddling away from the egg cluster. They probably hatch at night.

Here’s today’s progress. More legs! :lol:
View attachment 342151
Well my initial thought was actually cockroach. Guess because there's an infestation in my neighborhood right now (not just my house). But to note Maggie's comment just above, as creeped out as I get seeing a roach (I'm talking the big black water bug type) I have noticed a social order as well as the mother caring for the young. And they really are less harmful then a mosquito and while exterminators state they clean themselves and it's what they eat that makes them gross, do they really eat anything worse then what we put in our own bodies?. I've only been watching them for a few minutes at a time because I have such a phobia of them that no matter how bad I have to go to the bathroom I'll not move from where I'm at if I see even one scurrying across the room. So I'm trying to desensitize myself to them?

Sorry to go off track but I'm trying to get myself to appreciate all of nature, the good, the bad and the ugly as yes even the cockroach has a purpose on here.

Anyway that's actually kind of cute that they all are clustered below after hatching.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Anyway that's actually kind of cute that they all are clustered below after hatching.
As is so often the case, babies are cute, adults not so much. Except for kittens and cats. :)

Interesting observations about your roach/water bug creatures. Cool to watch...as long as they stay outside!

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
As is so often the case, babies are cute, adults not so much. Except for kittens and cats. :)

Interesting observations about your roach/water bug creatures. Cool to watch...as long as they stay outside!
That is so true. I hate when they get inside. I guess because of the old thought that they are attracted to filth, but recent studies show they can come inside even the cleanest of homes. I tell you though, raccoons eat them. It's like a delicacy to them I suppose. I watched as Patty (the one raccoon) picked up one of them and gobbled it down like it was a delicious snack. Yuck.