Buffalo Blue (walnut shell) Litter- has anyone tried?

Obie-n-Mallie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also found the blue litter to be dusty, and the red dust stayed on cat feet, and my furniture. I tried several of theirs and the one in the green bag, the quick clumping seemed to be the least dusty. I also found the smaller bags to be less dusty than the big bags, maybe they dont get as ruffed up? If you will scoop easy its better too, i found it got really dusty with rough scooping.

I did just try, and am still using a walnut litter i found at walmart the other day. Litter maid. It is finer than blue, more of a sand texture. I dont find it tracks as much, surprisingly, and there is way less dust. I can run my hand through the clean litter and no red dust. odor control is good, the clumping is good too, maybe not like clay, but those of us who use non clay litters are use to this. :)
I will look into this. Thank you!

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I found a YouTube video for an interesting "system" using pine pellets. The video is a little lengthy, but I'm liking this idea a lot. Does anyone have any thoughts on pine pellets? I haven't tried it out yet, but I think it might be a good option for our home. I don't think my cats really like the litter we are using.
That's actually the exact combination I use, and I love it!! I live in a tiny apartment, too, and my roommates adore my litter setup because they can't smell it. Our neighbors have a similar-sized apartment and use traditional clay litter, and their whole place smells like a litter box. In my place, nobody knows we have a cat until he comes to greet them! Having the pull-out tray on the Breeze boxes works out perfectly since the wood pellets don't clump.

Since the pellets are big and heavy, most cats don't kick them out of the box much; maybe a couple pellets get out each day, but are easy to sweep out. That said, my previous cat was a very aggressive digger and would throw these things across the room, so there might be a mess with some individuals (even so, the pellets were a lot easier to clean up than the fine particulates other litters would spread around). Stepping on a wood pellet can be like stepping on Lego :cringe:

EDIT: actually watched the video and saw she doesn't use the handy pull-out tray on the Breeze boxes?? Using puppy pads seems like a waste; I just clean the tray out once every other day (for one cat)

Obie-n-Mallie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's actually the exact combination I use, and I love it!! I live in a tiny apartment, too, and my roommates adore my litter setup because they can't smell it. Our neighbors have a similar-sized apartment and use traditional clay litter, and their whole place smells like a litter box. In my place, nobody knows we have a cat until he comes to greet them! Having the pull-out tray on the Breeze boxes works out perfectly since the wood pellets don't clump.

Since the pellets are big and heavy, most cats don't kick them out of the box much; maybe a couple pellets get out each day, but are easy to sweep out. That said, my previous cat was a very aggressive digger and would throw these things across the room, so there might be a mess with some individuals (even so, the pellets were a lot easier to clean up than the fine particulates other litters would spread around). Stepping on a wood pellet can be like stepping on Lego :cringe:

EDIT: actually watched the video and saw she doesn't use the handy pull-out tray on the Breeze boxes?? Using puppy pads seems like a waste; I just clean the tray out once every other day (for one cat)
I'm glad to hear someone is using it and likes it too!

This set-up might be easier for her because she has so many cats. Using the other pan instead of the one with the pull out tray, leaves a bigger gap between the bottom pan and the grated tray. More of the pine dust can collect.

Do you replace the pad every other day? Maybe i'll try it with the slide out tray first, I can always add the bottom pan if I think it would be better for us. Thanks so much for your input on the "system"!

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't use any pads in it; I just dump the wood dust out and clean the tray with disinfectant. Using the pads would save the trouble of disinfecting the pan each time, but disinfectant is cheaper than puppy pads so for me it wins. The tray can usually go 2-3 days with my one cat, but at the very least I do push the wood pellets around each day to make sure all the dust goes down to properly gage how full it is, since my cat doesn't dig much. A deeper pan would definitely be better for multiple cats.

cifelliac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We tried it once, it had the cat's approval but not Mother's approval as it's extremely dusty and tracks everywhere.

We now use a brand called Ecolife Cat litter we get at our local specialty pet store. It has absolutely no dust, is light and made of pea fiber. Unlike clay litter you don't need to remove it all once a month, clean the box and replace it all. You just need to top it off as it gets low. It is more expensive but the cat's like it and it's mother approved.

krystab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I came across Buffalo Blue's Litter, made from Walnut shells.

Has anyone tried this brand before? How did it fare? details! it's a few bucks cheaper than World's Best and I am looking more into it

I haven't tried Blue but I used to use another walnut litter... brown dust EVERYWHERE! it made me crazy so I stopped using it

krystab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree... so. much. dust. I have tries the low-dust (dusty) and the Multi-cat (more dusty). Maybe it's because both my girls are black and I can see the layer of brown dust after they come back from excavating at the dig site (i'm sure they are digging for kings in that box!), but the dust is terrible. I sneeze all the way through scooping out the boxes almost every time. Only one of them does any sneezing, and it doesn't seem to be any relation to the litter... fortunately.

I find that the litter clumps well enough, but doesn't usually stay clumped while scooping. So, there is fall-out in the box that is usually to small to be scooped, so it must be mixed in to the box. I'm not particularly fond of this.

The odor control is better the newer the litter in the box is, of course. They ALWAYS poop when I have company, even if it isn't their usual time to poop. Is that normal? It's like they are showing of their pooping skills... Look what I can do! Sorry, back to the odor. I use Fresh Wave, it's a gel type substance that helps with odor. I love the scent. It also comes in a spray.

Because they are Feline Archaeologists (heavy diggers), they tend to track the litter and I find pieces everywhere. I have hardwood floors and this litter is not kind to them.

I found a YouTube video for an interesting "system" using pine pellets. The video is a little lengthy, but I'm liking this idea a lot. Does anyone have any thoughts on pine pellets? I haven't tried it out yet, but I think it might be a good option for our home. I don't think my cats really like the litter we are using.

I've been using pine pellets for a while now - I actually buy them at the hardware store (Home Depot, Canadian Tire). They are designed for wood stoves. They are 100% pine with no additives or chemicals.

I use big Rubbermaid storage boxes instead of litter pans as one of my previous cats was 20 pounds - so the "giant sieve" idea doesn't really work cause it's too heavy to lift. When I clean the boxes I scoop out the poops (they are usually clumped with the pellets) and then I use my litter scoop as a small sieve - scoop up a bunch and the lightly shake it into a plastic grocery bag. The saw dust falls through and the full pellets get dumped back into the box.

I know some cats don't like the texture but I haven't had any issues

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blue is rather dusty, the one in the green bag is the best, imo. I use Litter maid walnut litter that i get at walmart. Finer grain, and NO dust. I like it and the cats do too. No red dust around the house, or on my little white cat. :heartshape: