Budget Aside, Does Anyone Here Choose To Feed Grocery Store Brands?

katlady-18

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So as I had said last time, I decided on Hounds and Gatos as far as wet food goes for Chance. This morning, I served just a bit of it with his regular food (i/d) to begin the transition. Well, shortly after finishing his breakfast, he puked all over. *sigh* Again, it was just a bit of the new food I served, but he's always had a sensitive tummy and in addition, I think he might've reacted to the beef flavor (maybe?). I had intended to get the one with chicken, but for whatever reason it's been out of stock for a while. So for the time being, because I'm scared, I have chickened out of changing his food. I'll leave him on the i/d wet for now and try a change again sometime down the road.

Can anyone recommend a reputable site from which I can order individual cans instead of cases, if/when I decide to try another food in the future? (The order I got from Chewy will now be donated to a local rescue or shelter and there goes the $ spent on that but at least it won't go completely to waste). The local stores don't have much to offer as far as grain free goes and I do not trust our Petco (dusty, expired cans and other questionable things I've seen there throughout the years).

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Tell Chewy about your issue with the food, they usually will refund you and tell you to donate it.

I'm not sure about the individual cans, sometimes some companies will give you a sample though if you contact them. Koha sells individual of their foods to try also

katlady-18

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tell Chewy about your issue with the food, they usually will refund you and tell you to donate it.

I'm not sure about the individual cans, sometimes some companies will give you a sample though if you contact them. Koha sells individual of their foods to try also
Thank you, I didn't know Chewy could give refunds for something like this but I'll give it a try.

KittyCookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
KittyCookie- I'm so glad that your mom listened to you about feeding Cookie some canned food. I remember your other post about how she wouldn't let you. Good job, even if it's only one flavor, that's great.
Thank you!(: I am very glad too, and so is our kitty! The kitty LOVES the wet food!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer feeding my kitten cook foods. Mine two-year-old cat loves having boiled fish with some rice and veggies. I do give him some dry cat food sometimes but only as a treat.
I hope you're making sure it's a balanced diet. Homemade foods often need supplementing to be fully balanced. Cooked diets are usually low in taurine and calcium, especially.

Miry-Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This thread has a wealth of information that I can truly appreciate. I've only been a cat mom for less than a week and my head is spinning from all the excellent information and ideas overall that I've discovered on TCS.

Right now I'm feeding our 13 week old Miry FF kitten pates in Turkey and Ocean Whitefish. I'm also using Purina Kitten Chow for her snacky kibble, but now I think her kibble needs to be changed and I need to find a way to branch out her wet food so that she doesn't become a picky eater.

We live in a small town so we have 2 grocery stores and a local Wal-Mart. Needless to say their choices for kitten food leave much to be desired. Should I just stick with what I have until she is a year old or should I upgrade her foods through Chewy.com?

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This thread has a wealth of information that I can truly appreciate. I've only been a cat mom for less than a week and my head is spinning from all the excellent information and ideas overall that I've discovered on TCS.

Right now I'm feeding our 13 week old Miry FF kitten pates in Turkey and Ocean Whitefish. I'm also using Purina Kitten Chow for her snacky kibble, but now I think her kibble needs to be changed and I need to find a way to branch out her wet food so that she doesn't become a picky eater.

We live in a small town so we have 2 grocery stores and a local Wal-Mart. Needless to say their choices for kitten food leave much to be desired. Should I just stick with what I have until she is a year old or should I upgrade her foods through Chewy.com?
I'm in a small town with few options also, so I use chewy.com for convenience and variety. I also have a cat who can't eat chicken or grains with rules out 99% of the food on the shelf here!

While I love the grocery store wet foods, the dry foods are another story. They are so laden with plant proteins and carbs! So if nothing else, I'd look at the website for a food that has at least more meat in it

Miry-Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you mizzely mizzely ! I'll definitely look at the website then and see about changing her kibble immediately. I've scoured the entire cat health section of this site and have basically scared the crap out of myself when it comes to Miry's kidneys and digestion. If I can battle those issues with a good diet, then that's what I'm going to do.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's hard to find a good dry food. I'm still searching. Everything is so confusing. I'm going to try some grain free ones. So far my cats have rejected anything special needs like Indoor, Urinary, Sensitive, Hairball. I have to stick to the original flavor of brands. And they like the bigger kibble that is flat circles or X's, they hate the tiny kibble that gets swallowed, not crunched. I wish all dry food came in small 1 pound bags.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am just curious as to why you are searching for a dry food? I haven't read thru this whole thread so I must be missing something. There is no dry food that is ok to feed a cat.The high heat used to make kibble kills nutrients. Truly, any canned food is far better than even the most expensive dry. Cats are desert animals who are meant to get their moisture thru their food , not from a bowl of water. Raw is the top of the line food for a cat but, any canned food is better than any dry. Just stay away from fish which, does not provide the nutrients a cat needs, is hyper allergenic and addictive. Sardines every once in awhile is fine but don't give a fish based food. You should watch 'Pet Fooled' on Netflix, also on Amazon and Hulu. Very well done documentary on petfood industry. Important film.

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am just curious as to why you are searching for a dry food? I haven't read thru this whole thread so I must be missing something. There is no dry food that is ok to feed a cat.The high heat used to make kibble kills nutrients. Truly, any canned food is far better than even the most expensive dry. Cats are desert animals who are meant to get their moisture thru their food , not from a bowl of water. Raw is the top of the line food for a cat but, any canned food is better than any dry. Just stay away from fish which, does not provide the nutrients a cat needs, is hyper allergenic and addictive. Sardines every once in awhile is fine but don't give a fish based food. You should watch 'Pet Fooled' on Netflix, also on Amazon and Hulu. Very well done documentary on petfood industry. Important film.
Some people cannot afford 100% wet diet. Even a month's supply of Friskies cost more than dry food. I feed my cat both wet and dry for both cost and convenience. I like being able to leave a little dry food out if I'm going to be gone past her usual dinner time or something to hold her over. I can't always rush home to feed fresh wet food.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the cost has something to do with it. My cats eat more than some cats, one 5.5oz can each per day would not be enough food for them. Plus Demi would disown me if I took away all this kibble. He lives for it, and he would starve himself if he didn't get at least a little bit. I don't give very much, under half a cup each.

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
very interesting thread. i always understood that canned food is not as good as kibble, but you guys are saying the opposite.
thing is, every cat i've had has liked friskies kibble. since i don't like to fight about food, that's all i buy.
it's fairly cheap in 16 pound bags too, which is a plus.
i've never noticed any health problems, but is there something i should be looking for?
when a cat suppliments with wild game, does that make a difference?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Canned is better because of the moisture, since cat's don't have a high thirst drive. Friskies dry food is okay, but I don't like the Red 40 type colors and the fish they put in it. My cats like Purina Cat Chow Complete in the blue bag, that one seems a little better. I'm searching for a better dry food, but they are really picky. Yes, if an outdoor cat catches mice and birds they are getting moisture from that too.

Clover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, we started with whiskers and felix which she picked at then tried Aldi's wet food and she wolfs it down, but she doesn't like there dry food,The last month she has been having Iams wet and dry kitten food as she is pregnant, but has not been eating it the last few days so went and got her the own brand stuff and it's all gone!