Budesonide Experiences?

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been reading up on this steroid but I haven't seen anyone on here with IBD cats using this. Is there a reason?

I also noticed that there is a warning against using this budesonide with cats that have liver issues. Should I be concerned that the vet wants to put Mika on this with all of her liver issues?

Has anyone had their cat on this and then went to prednisolone? Or vice versa?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I asked our vet about it a number of years ago, shortly after Patches had been diagnosed with IBD and got through fatty liver. She didn't think much of it. At that time it was touted as an alternative for cats that had become diabetic while on another steroid. She said that every cat she tried it with still had the blood sugar issues that they had with other steroids. The theory behind it was that more of it stayed in the digestive system. I don't know if it is still true but at that time it was considerably more expensive than the Prednisolone.

I have no personal experience with it though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I asked our vet about it a number of years ago, shortly after Patches had been diagnosed with IBD and got through fatty liver. She didn't think much of it. At that time it was touted as an alternative for cats that had become diabetic while on another steroid. She said that every cat she tried it with still had the blood sugar issues that they had with other steroids. The theory behind it was that more of it stayed in the digestive system. I don't know if it is still true but at that time it was considerably more expensive than the Prednisolone.

I have no personal experience with it though.
Interesting. I believe my vet told me that it's not that expensive but I didn't ask in reference to Prednisolone.

I'll keep this in mind when I go back in 2 weeks.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have used Budesonide in the past for my (now 17 year old) girl with IBD.

She was initially put on Methylprednisone 4 mg. After about a year she developed borderline diabetes,so was then switched to Budesonide 1mg tablets--supposedly better for long term.

After several months on this, the nausea and vomiting returned. The vet and I did not think the Budesonide controlled the IBD as well as it should, so cat was at first put on 5 mg Prednisolone twice a day for a week, then tapered down to 2.5 mg Prednisolone where she has been for about a year. Her IBD is controlled and her blood glucose levels remain normal.

My cat has no liver issues. The Budesonide cost me $39 for 30 tablets...so more expensive than Prednisolone and in my case, didn't do the trick.

I do think some vets use Budesonide for IBD cats with concurrent Diabetes as that may be the best option for them long term.