Budesonide and constipation

TabbyCatandMe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oliver had 6 days on budesonide. read that budesonide can cause constipation. He has problems with constipation for 5 years now and well managed on Miralax. I’m worried that his constipation may get worse on budesonide. He does seem to be going less but no signs of constipation yet!

Does anyone have experience with their cats on budesonide?

And anyone here have been able to manage their cats’ IBD without steroids? Oliver also has been getting flu flare up from budesonide and I’ve just started him on lactoferrin. We may have to try Famciclovir if it does not work!

Thanks so much.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What flu flare ups? Do you mean herpes virus?

IBD is usually treated with Prednisolone, Cerenia, if needed, often vitamin Bb12 injections, sometimes other drugs as well as a novel protein diet.

I do not know of any treatment for IBD that wouldn’t use steroids since they are needed to help control the inflammation with the IBD

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TabbyCatandMe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What flu flare ups? Do you mean herpes virus?

IBD is usually treated with Prednisolone, Cerenia, if needed, often vitamin Bb12 injections, sometimes other drugs as well as a novel protein diet.

I do not know of any treatment for IBD that wouldn’t use steroids since they are needed to help control the inflammation with the IBD
Hi S silent meowlook . Yes, he has herpes virus as well. I’m struggling to get a balance getting his Ibd control with budesonide and ensuring the steroids does not suppress his immune system too much. Prednisolone was causing the herpes virus to flare up just after a week! He had to go on antibiotics for about 3 weeks. He does get Cerenia and Mirtazapine for appetite when needed. He has been on a raw diet for years now with novel proteins.
My main concern is constipation at the moment with budesonide. :(

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don’t have experience with the Budesonide. I do know that raw diet isn’t recommended with cats that have any immune compromise. Also the raw diet can cause constipation.