Buddy Will Not Make It Much Longer

catlover100

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 17 yr old beloved Buddy has spiraled down fast in just really only a month with kidney disease. Probably in the next few days I will have to make the decision to have him put to sleep. I have tried everything to get him to eat and he is not eating but maybe a little baby food off of my fingers. He seems upset and pacing some at times and that is upsetting. He is a nervous cat anyway. This is just so hard but I know he can't live like this and I can't see him struggle so much when each day he seems to get worse.

He has been by my side when I went through my divorce and always jumped up on my bed when he heard me crying. I think cats know when you are upset. I am so thankful to have had all of these years with him but will miss him so much.

vampyre08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 17 yr old beloved Buddy has spiraled down fast in just really only a month with kidney disease. Probably in the next few days I will have to make the decision to have him put to sleep. I have tried everything to get him to eat and he is not eating but maybe a little baby food off of my fingers. He seems upset and pacing some at times and that is upsetting. He is a nervous cat anyway. This is just so hard but I know he can't live like this and I can't see him struggle so much when each day he seems to get worse.

He has been by my side when I went through my divorce and always jumped up on my bed when he heard me crying. I think cats know when you are upset. I am so thankful to have had all of these years with him but will miss him so much.
I'm going through something similar. I wish I could offer some words of wisdom and comfort that would take the pain away. I'm giving my boy some last few days of amazing food and comfort. I'm home now and the timing could not have been better. Be strong and cry if you need to. Remember the good times. Cats and dogs do know when you're upset. My boy literally saved my life years ago. Relish the last days you have with him.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 17 year old Burt just passed a couple of months ago, I know the pain of losing so sweet a family member. Like yours he just pretty much quit eating, it was heartbreaking to see him waste away. When they get to be so aged, the will to live is very strong. The suffering can go on for a long time, you can't let that happen. The only thing you can do is to be there for him, and provide him with the dignity he so deserves by giving him one last act of love. He has been a part of your life for a long time now, the bond you have forged with him is very strong. That bond is something that even death cannot take from you, it is spiritual, so eternal. You have seventeen years of memories to bring you comfort, to help you remember that you shared this earth for a little while and what he brought into your world is priceless. The pain of his leaving will be equal to the love you have for each other, a broken heart takes a long time to heal. But he will leave you with a piece of his heart and will take a piece of yours, you will be forever connected and his new journey will always parallel yours. He would never want you to be so sad when he goes, you will feel his presence every time a tear falls, just as you did in life.Do as he wants for the one he loves above all else and fill your life with happiness and sunshine, as you would want for him if you were the first to go.
My heart breaks for your pain. You are not alone in your grief. Please accept my prayers for that sweet boy, may he have a swift journey to the Rainbow Bridge where he will find that favorite patch of sun. Take care.........

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that you two have reached this point, but it will happen to us all, and it just is about one of the hardest things we as pet lovers face in this life, the down side of having pets, but the upside is so rewarding. I hope that you can deal with it and he knows that you are just trying to help him, they know, they really do, they sense things that we can't, he had a wonderful life with you but unfortunately it is time for him to move on to the next one, and it is never easy, but I know he loves you and understands that you are only trying to help him.

I pray that you are strong and can deal with this, it is an act of love and kindness and he understands, God Bless.....:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover100

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 17 year old Burt just passed a couple of months ago, I know the pain of losing so sweet a family member. Like yours he just pretty much quit eating, it was heartbreaking to see him waste away. When they get to be so aged, the will to live is very strong. The suffering can go on for a long time, you can't let that happen. The only thing you can do is to be there for him, and provide him with the dignity he so deserves by giving him one last act of love. He has been a part of your life for a long time now, the bond you have forged with him is very strong. That bond is something that even death cannot take from you, it is spiritual, so eternal. You have seventeen years of memories to bring you comfort, to help you remember that you shared this earth for a little while and what he brought into your world is priceless. The pain of his leaving will be equal to the love you have for each other, a broken heart takes a long time to heal. But he will leave you with a piece of his heart and will take a piece of yours, you will be forever connected and his new journey will always parallel yours. He would never want you to be so sad when he goes, you will feel his presence every time a tear falls, just as you did in life.Do as he wants for the one he loves above all else and fill your life with happiness and sunshine, as you would want for him if you were the first to go.
My heart breaks for your pain. You are not alone in your grief. Please accept my prayers for that sweet boy, may he have a swift journey to the Rainbow Bridge where he will find that favorite patch of sun. Take care.........

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover100

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I decided after several days of him not eating anything that I had to take him in to the Vet's today for them to put him to sleep. I was surprised this morning before I left for work that he had the strength to jump up in my lap and I held him close for a while as if he knew it was our goodbye. I so appreciate your sweet, comforting words. I know it will take a lot of time. I seemed fine this afternoon until I came home tonight and that empty place on the floor is so obvious. The support and kindness on this site will help me make it through this and I am so thankful for that.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I decided after several days of him not eating anything that I had to take him in to the Vet's today for them to put him to sleep. I was surprised this morning before I left for work that he had the strength to jump up in my lap and I held him close for a while as if he knew it was our goodbye. I so appreciate your sweet, comforting words. I know it will take a lot of time. I seemed fine this afternoon until I came home tonight and that empty place on the floor is so obvious. The support and kindness on this site will help me make it through this and I am so thankful for that.
Oh Sweetie. I so feel your pain right now. Buddy knows how much you love him and he loves you too. He will love you forever. You did everything you could for him and he knew/knows how much he means to you. We are here for you. That empty space will be obvious for a while. Please let us help you heal. We understand your pain and we want to help. :hugs:

Cobysmom1005

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just want to say how sorry i am for your loss. My 17 year old boy had kidney failure as well. He went to the bridge a little over a month ago. i know the pain you feel. Take care.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm very sorry to read this. Too many of us know how hard it is to make that final decision for our kitties, especially when they've been part of our lives for so long. RIP, little Buddy. :rbheart: You're in my thoughts, catlover100 catlover100 . :hugs:

furrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tears are streaming for you and sweet Buddy. I have been exactly where you are and there is nothing harder. Sending you prayers for healing and peace. Remember that’s what you gave Buddy by helping him to cross over.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise

:grouphug::alright::grouphug2::hearthrob::redheartpump::hugs::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going through something similar. I wish I could offer some words of wisdom and comfort that would take the pain away. I'm giving my boy some last few days of amazing food and comfort. I'm home now and the timing could not have been better. Be strong and cry if you need to. Remember the good times. Cats and dogs do know when you're upset. My boy literally saved my life years ago. Relish the last days you have with him.
:grouphug::grouphug2:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
:grouphug2::grouphug: