buddy for bogie- gender?

bogielove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm considering adopting a buddy for Bogie. Should I get a female b/c he's male or does it even matter? Thanks!

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes it matters, sometimes it doesn't. Usually the safe route to go is the opposite gender. They tend to feel a little less of a threat. With only 2 cats, the chances are about 50/50

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a male(Su) and female cat(hooda) and the male passed on. When the time came to get another cat I wanted a male tabby kitten, just like Su was. Hooda would have no part of that kitten.So I had to return him to the shelter. So a few months passed and I tryed again, I thought i would get an adult male tabby. And Hooda hated him more the the kitten. He had to go back(I had him nutered and vacinated in the short time i had him and he found a new home 10 minuets after i brought him back into the shelter, I was releived for that). Then I thought, I cant pick the kitty I want I have to pick a kitty Hooda would want. So I looked through the shelter for a female that I thought was most like hooda. And that solved the problem. With in 3 days they were used to eachother,no hissing, all good. This is an instance were opposites dident attract.