Bubbles!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that may work! just make sure they are nontoxic. Anything to get them moving around helps, something small to bat around gets them going too, like the larger plastic lid off of something (big enough not to swallow) or the plastic ring off of a gallon of milk. a laser light or wand helps too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think that particular one has an ! point and it may cause eye irritation from what the bottles says and a poster. Any other suggestions on brand?

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried bubbles on one of my cats some years ago and she absolutely hated them. Something to think about before you invest in a bubble liquid.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can make your own too, you might research it and see which brands were specifically recommended for cats.
Make your own bubble solution with Dawn dish washing liquid and some KY Jelly. (I kid you, not!)

Get an 8 oz. glass of hot tap water and stir in about 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder. (Baking POWDER, not baking soda.)
Next, stir in about a tablespoon of KY Jelly until it all dissolves.
Finally, add about a tablespoon of Dawn dish washing liquid. Stir carefully so you don't make it suds up too much.
Let the mixture cool to room temperature.
You can store it in a screw-top, plastic container so that it won't spill and make a mess.

Get a piece of wire like a coat hanger and form it into a circle with a handle to make a bubble dipper.
Wrap the circle part of your bubble dipper with yarn or some other absorbent material so that it will soak up some of the bubble juice.

Pour some of your bubble juice into a shallow plastic container and use your bubble dipper to blow bubbles.
Blow gently and consistently. You should be able to make some "Monster Size" bubbles with this solution!

I'm one of those guys that you often see at the beach or the park, making giant, school bus sized bubbles while all the kids run and play, trying to catch them. This is a variation on the formula that I use to make my "Monster Bubble" solution that I use at the beach.

Use good, old fashioned, ordinary, blue "Dawn Dish Washing Liquid" like you buy in the grocery store.
Don't use any fancy stuff like "Potpourri Scented" or anything like that. Just plain, old, ordinary blue Dawn. I think the version I use says, "For Pots and Pans" on the label.

If Dawn Dish Washing Liquid is safe enough for kids to play with, it should be fine for a cat.
I have had days where there are a dozen kids who are literally coated, head to toe with the stuff. In more than five years of kids playing with soap bubbles, I have not had an incident of a kid being harmed by bubble juice. Maybe, occasionally, somebody gets some soap in their eye but they just wash it out with water and they are totally fine.

I usually do this on the beach. When the kids get all soapy from playing with bubbles, their parents just toss them into the water and wash them off. Then, they tell me, "Thanks for getting my kid to take a bath!" ;)

KY Jelly is used to strengthen the bubbles and make them last longer. I won't explain the chemistry but, suffice to say, this is the "secret sauce" that makes many "Monster Bubble" solutions work. KY Jelly is virtually harmless. If you can rub the stuff on your body, it ought to be safe enough for a cat to play with.

Again, get the regular, ordinary, KY. Don't use that special, scented or flavored stuff or the kind with special ingredients in it. Just plain. You can even use the cheap, generic stuff. That's what I use... the cheap stuff from Walmart.

Also, consider that the amount of liquid in a soap bubble is very, small. If you had a bubble the size of a basketball, it would be hard to measure the amount of liquid it actually contains without using special scientific equipment. Soap bubbles are 99.99% air but only 0.01% soap and water.

You might need to experiment with your formula a little bit. Differences in water quality, air temperature and humidity can change the way soap bubbles behave. Every time I make a batch of bubble juice and go out to the beach to play, I always take a little bit of extra soap and lube, just in case I have to tweak my mixture.

If you are willing to experiment, you should be able to make some really cool bubbles for your cat to play with using just a few things you have laying around the house, without spending a lot. If your cat isn't turned on by them, you won't lose any money.

I have made bubbles for Casper to play with and he'll sit there and stare at them and paw at one or two of them.
He pops a couple of bubbles then gets bored... "Ho-hum..." and he goes somewhere else.

Cats... :dunno: