BSH or a Russian Blue - with a roof terrace

KitKatLondon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! A penny for your thoughts
:)

I'm debating a RB or BSH kitten. I've read up on general temperaments. Both sound lovely. It's to replace a beautiful BSH cross I recently lost to kidney disease. She was very loyal, followed me around everywhere, loved cuddles and head bumps and purred all the time. She would involve herself in everything I did - from brushing my teeth to cooking. She was my best friend. She often slept on my bed, and we were very close and in tune. She was like a person to me. Hoping for something close to this.

Also, I have a large private roof terrace. It's the top of the building - covering about 12 apartments in size. It's overgrown with wild plants. It has a surrounding ledge, about 2 feet high. From here, a sheer drop. I can't fence this off. I've owned 3 cats here over the years, with no problems. But I am nervous for a Russian Blue cat - as I have heard they like to climb and jump around.

From this roof, I could literally walk across roofs to the end of the street.
So far, my previous cats all stayed close to home.

I'm almost set with a Russian Blue kitten from a fabulous breeder. But now I'm a bit worried of this roof (as RBs are curious and like to climb!), and wondering if a BSH would be less inclined to go on an adventure. 2 of my previous cats were BSH crosses.

My current cat is a Persian, and has been fine up here playing on the roof for 6 years now.

Cheers!
Kat

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you put up a temporary deer netting around the perimeter? One curving inwards to not let them climb over? That is what I would do for peace of mind. a kitten is so self-centered and absorbed in jumping and racing around it would scare me to let them out on that. it is plastic so won't rot, completely see-through, and you wouldn't have to do the whole thing just an area to contain the cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KitKatLondon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good idea, but this is a block of flats run by a management company. Technically, I'm not allowed onto that roof space. I don't own it. They won't endorse anything like that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KitKatLondon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have my own terrace area within railings. The cats walk straight through it onto the roof top beyond.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Adult cats are alright with heights, though I have seen them playing on the garage roof and getting knocked off. a kitten just doesn't have the common sense to avoid falling. they are too absorbed in zooming around and jumping.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I suppose management wouldn't allow you to put a catio or other structure on your terrace? Maybe a foldable pop up pet tent would be ok as long as you take it down after your cat is done with being outside for the day?

Or just harness and leash the train the cat and go for walks on the terrace. Free roaming is dangerous to cats in general. Every cat has their own personality so while one may have stayed close to home, another may try to jump off the roof to go after a bird.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
After seeing the pictures, I wouldn’t chance any of my cats to roam there. A cat is a cat no matter what breed to me. Especially kittens, they love to run and chase etc.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, I would be scared to let a kitten (and most cats) regardless of breed wander about up there.
It does look beautiful though. I think as a green space it is a great idea just not for cats off harness.