Brushing cats teeth

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bakker had his annual exam and the vet comments on the redness of his gums.
They have been this way since I got him. She advised brushing teeth-I have the stuff but haven't done it. Any tips on how to succeed???

kate_e_did

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try going to him when he is relaxed and just a couple swipes on the outside in the cheek to start out will help alot. They make toothpastes that are flavored but I think they make things worse. The tongue starts trying to lick and eat the paste. I find my kitty likes to chew on the plain brush while I move it around.

Its like brushing their coats, some can't get enough.

pui hang

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kate_e_did

Try going to him when he is relaxed and just a couple swipes on the outside in the cheek to start out will help alot. They make toothpastes that are flavored but I think they make things worse. The tongue starts trying to lick and eat the paste. I find my kitty likes to chew on the plain brush while I move it around.

Its like brushing their coats, some can't get enough.
Kate, what sort of brush are you using? A normal toothbrush or a finger brush?

My vet has advised to brush my kittens' teeth but he said their mouths were a bit small for a finger brush and advised me to stick some toothpaste on my finger and to smooth it on their teeth...

I was also thinking about getting some treats which supposedly are good for helping keep kitten teeth clean but not sure whether they are any food or not

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pui Hang

I was also thinking about getting some treats which supposedly are good for helping keep kitten teeth clean but not sure whether they are any food or not
Whiskas DentaBits work really well!
My three get them daily and the vet has always commented on how healthy their teeth and gums are!

pui hang

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sar to the rescue again

Thanks for that - I'll give them a try. My 2 are British Short Hairs and are known to be prone to gingivitis and I am keen to try and avoid anything like that if I can.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pui Hang

Sar to the rescue again

Thanks for that - I'll give them a try. My 2 are British Short Hairs and are known to be prone to gingivitis and I am keen to try and avoid anything like that if I can.

My RB cat, Disco, had gingivitis, hence I made a special attempt to find a good product to help prevent it!! Your kitties will thoroughly enjoy them too!

ryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I started with just my finger and some toothpaste, then I introduced a baby brush by putting some paste on the brush and letting them lick it off to make them feel comfortable with it. Now I'm allowed to brush with the brush. It took about 5 weeks.

kitty's keeper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kitty doesn't seem to mind having her teeth brushed too much. We got a tiny toothbrush from the pet store and some malt flavored enzymatic toothpaste. I usually just sit her in my lap and hold her front paws, she actually seemed to enjoy having her gums brushed when they were inflamed. Granted, Kitty isn't too fiesty because of her age but I could swear that she opens her lips up for me to brush the sides for her. Haha.