Brushing cat teeth questions

Nice Loki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I'm looking to start brushing my cats teeth and have a couple of questions.

1. I have read that this Virbac toothpaste is recommended. Specifically that cats seem to like the chicken flavoured one, except the only chicken flavoured one that I can find in England is for dogs. Do I have to use the cat specific one which only comes in fish flavour or is it OK to use the dog one?

2. All the guides that I have read about getting cats accustomed to having their teeth brushed advocate using my finger initially to apply toothpaste. Now this seems kind of counterintuitive to me, because my finger is WAY bigger than any toothbrush is (and I don't have fat fingers), and comparing my finger to a cat mouth - I would baulk at having something that relative size shoved into my gob.
Surely a cat would be less stressed with a gentle introduction to a toothbrush than a finger?

GuyandCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I'm looking to start brushing my cats teeth and have a couple of questions.

1. I have read that this Virbac toothpaste is recommended. Specifically that cats seem to like the chicken flavoured one, except the only chicken flavoured one that I can find in England is for dogs. Do I have to use the cat specific one which only comes in fish flavour or is it OK to use the dog one?

2. All the guides that I have read about getting cats accustomed to having their teeth brushed advocate using my finger initially to apply toothpaste. Now this seems kind of counterintuitive to me, because my finger is WAY bigger than any toothbrush is (and I don't have fat fingers), and comparing my finger to a cat mouth - I would baulk at having something that relative size shoved into my gob.
Surely a cat would be less stressed with a gentle introduction to a toothbrush than a finger?
I have the same toothpaste. Mine came with the toothbrush also... I just sat on floor put toothpaste on the brush and brushed what seem like a few tiny teeth. He didn't mind too much cause it must have tasted good. He loves food. He's less, then 6 months old, so not sure If he even has his full set of teeth or even his adult teeth yet.. I just felt that Guy's teeth in regards to the shape and size of them kind of hard to brush effectively.. I am wondering if antlers would work for cats. I only have had dogs in my life. Their teeth was easy. Big Raw Bones and Deer Antlers. Would scrape all the plaque right off..

I might start looking into some alternatives to brushing I think.. I'll still continue to brush but I'm not sure it will be enough as he gets on in his years.

I would try to put a dab of paste on your finger.. A tiny smudge.. See if your cat likes the taste.. Then I suggest a brush.. My Guy has a bad habit of biting me still. Work in progress:) But if your cat likes the taste I am sure you will be Fine :)

Good Luck.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I can't speak for England, but in the U.S., the Virbac CET Poultry flavor is for both dogs AND cats. On the actual tube it shows both animals, but on the box it just shows dogs.

I think they have you start the process using just your finger because your cat is probably used to seeing your fingers nears it's face and would be more likely to let you stick your fingers in his mouth. The idea is to let them get used to the flavor of the toothpaste and get the feeling of having something foreign rubbing against their teeth before the actual brushing starts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nice Loki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am wondering if antlers would work for cats.
I don't know for sure, but suspect that antlers would be far too tough for cats. I believe that suitable alternatives are things like chicken gizzards and the ends of chicken wings. Even just serving up some raw meat cut into chunks for him to gnaw on is beneficial.
There is also a food additive product available called "plaque off", although I have no idea if it is any good.
Are you in the US or UK? Just wondering about the toothpaste that you have.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know for sure, but suspect that antlers would be far too tough for cats. I believe that suitable alternatives are things like chicken gizzards and the ends of chicken wings. Even just serving up some raw meat cut into chunks for him to gnaw on is beneficial.
There is also a food additive product available called "plaque off", although I have no idea if it is any good.
Are you in the US or UK? Just wondering about the toothpaste that you have.
To my knowledge, it’s the same toothpaste. May be worth comparing ingredients if you’re concerned, though.

Antlers are a no for dogs, much less cats. They’re notorious for chipping teeth. Plaque off is also a poor choice, as it’s made from seaweed with undisclosed levels of iodine, which cats are extremely sensitive to. The research also is highly inconclusive, imo, as owners brushed their pets teeth in the studies I’ve read.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in the UK I use Logic oral hygiene gel on my boy's. It's for dog's and cat's I like this because if your cat doesn't take to brushing you can just rub it onto the teeth and gums with your finger. I used cotton buds first with my two I didn't fancy putting my finger into their mouth until they were more relaxed about it. I use finger toothbrushes for them. Beaphar also do a toothpaste for dog's and cat's but mine don't seem to like this flavour they prefer the logic.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

The above states for dogs and cats. You could start by putting a small amount on a cotton bud as suggested above and then use interdental brushes. They are very small and could work for you.

Nice Loki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your help, it seems that there's a UK supply issue with the poultry flavoured Virbac toothpaste at the moment, I can't find it in stock anywhere.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
They also have malt, beef, and seafood flavour, might be worth checking out.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I've not seen either the malt or the beef flavours at all.
Ahhh, sorry to hear 😞 I import mine from the states since it’s not locally available. As a possible alternative, Intelligent enzymatic toothpaste for pets is good quality, but it’s tasteless, so the cats are neutral at best about it.

Nice Loki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is Intelligent a toothpaste brand?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise

Animed have it in stock
Looks like they have the toothpaste without the brush here, though only the fish flavour, sadly. Even so, might be a better deal, since the brushes look too big for a cat mouth, imo.