Brushes ??

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
This is the brush i use they hate it they bite it for some reason i have to scruff them to brush them if i dont my allergies will kill me my nose runs and i dont know what to do

Attachments

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you thought of using a hand mitt. Its like smoothing your cats and removes the fur well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
I will look for one but what is the best one they will prob fight me and take a finger too usually come out with scratches and mad kitties and i have scruff them too sometimes i feel bad

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use one called Kong cat zoom groom brush. It's got little rubber finger things on it. My cat tolerates that better than any of the others I've tried.

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
I will look into it thank you for the suggestion

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I had luck with the Zoom Groom when I was trying to get Mowgli used to being brushed. Nowadays I alternate that with a Furminator, which is more a fine-toothed comb than a brush and removes a lot of hair.

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
I was gonna try a comb but idk they bite everything so i just leave them

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a flea comb to brush my cats. They seem to actually like it better than a regular brush and it's a bonus because it checks for fleas at the same time.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its important to keep calm and talk soothingly to your cat when combing them. If you are frustrated, they know and will fight you. Give them a small treat when you are finished.

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
I give them some dry food as a treat afterwards to say im sorry for scuffing them but the person at pet co said i should take a big chip bag clip and scruff them that way she said it didnt hurt hem b

cuppa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use this brush by sleekez
It doesn't look like much, but it gets a lot of my cat's fur out. Can't say for sure your cats will tolerate it, but mine love it.
sleekez_cat_2.jpg

Diana Faye

Always and Forever, Irving
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've used the furminator and loved it. I gave it away when I was not planning on having another cat, so for now I'm using this little rubber comb to get the kittens used to it. I've never had luck with those square type brushes with the metal teeth, as it always seemed too harsh for the cats I've had.
A grooming mitt is a good idea, or a shed blade like the furminator or sleekez above. Scruffing can help in certain situations (like trying to hold on to a panicked cat), but for long term I think it'll be easier for you and your cats to try to make it a good experience.
I'd start with a different brush, or even the mitt if your cats really enjoy pets. Let them sniff it and get used to it first. You can try feeding them first and then grooming, to mimic their natural behavior, and/or offer them treats after. You may have more success if you try it in small steps- instead of trying to brush the cat all in one sitting, try to do a little at a time with a few gentle strokes. If they move away, that's fine, and try again a little later. You may find that you will have to do a little bit every day, but hopefully this will help them to learn to like it. Or worst case scenario, a little every day will be a lot easier to keep up with than struggling through it when you feel like it's really needed. Regular grooming will also help to stimulate natural oils in their coat, so a little bit is going to be better than none at all.