Bruised/broken rib?

Surfsidesindy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Piper is a 3 yr old energetic tabby. While jumping at a lizard, which she was watching through the window, she fell on the landing and slide between the windowsill and the desk. The desk has a sharp edge and the poor thing was stuck there for a few seconds before slipping through to the floor before I could get to her. We could tell she was hurt. This was Sunday so we observed her the rest of the day. She was was walking fine, eating fine, and using the litter box but could not lay down comfortably. Monday we noticed a bump on her belly and she flinched when you touched it. Tuesday the bump was bigger but she was acting more like herself and even played. Jumping up high is not a problem. She still winces a little on the landings. I have not taken her in because of COVID-19. I would have to drop her off outside and they would “get to her when they can” and call me before doing any xrays etc. I suffer from anxiety so the thought of cramming her in the cat carrier and dropping her off is just overwhelming. And the first few days I truly felt the stress of it all on her could end up being “worse than the cure“. So, can a cat heal from a broken rib without treatment? I am only guessing this is what happened but her rib cage certainly would have caught on the desk edge. Of course if I thought she was in serious pain etc. I would have no choice but she is acting normal outside the bump and not being able to lay in her favorite curled up position and play as hard as she usually does. Thanks from a stressed out momma. This happened Sunday morning, so this is day 4.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should definitely have her seen. In all honesty if your vet would "get to her when they can," you need another vet. My vet has been fantastic about scheduling practically down to the minute during Covid-19.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree, she needs to be checked out by a vet, along with an x-ray. If you are not too far away from the vet's office, you could start calling every couple of hours looking for a cancellation, or just bugging them as to when there might be a lull in their scheduling where they can fit her in faster.

It might also behoove you to call and ask to speak directly with your vet - sometimes those who are answering the phone are 'screening' the calls because that is what they think they should do. Your vet might have a different idea about it how to handle the need for an x-ray.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Surfsidesindy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone. I called our old vet and was able to get an appointment for tomorrow afternoon. I would have to wait in the car but he will come out after he sees her. She is doing even better today, able to curl up and nap like her old self on the clean clothes. 🙂 She couldn’t even get into that position yesterday. I will make a final determination in the morning. If I decide not to go I will call and see if I can use my appointment time for a “paid” personal consultation with him over the phone. Thanks again. I know bringing her in to confirm what’s going on would be the best thing. We will see what tomorrow brings.
2C5AFCE6-B7C4-4CAD-B84F-FF08FA633FFE.jpeg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I would try to get her in for a consult as you can't really take a pic of a rib as you might for an eye infection or open sore. I do understand where you are coming from. I had to take Jamie and Elise in for tapeworms today (despite using treatment for fleas) and found that the cat vet now has an open window for "drop offs" between 9 and 11. That is it. People blocking other people in the parking lot, people screaming at each other, cats and dogs in cars waiting. I won't go there again during the pandemic, but will use my dog's vet who is still able to schedule on time appointments. Waiting in the car is pretty standard right now but if the vet is going to come out to talk, I don't think that you have anything to worry about.

Surfsidesindy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would try to get her in for a consult as you can't really take a pic of a rib as you might for an eye infection or open sore. I do understand where you are coming from. I had to take Jamie and Elise in for tapeworms today (despite using treatment for fleas) and found that the cat vet now has an open window for "drop offs" between 9 and 11. That is it. People blocking other people in the parking lot, people screaming at each other, cats and dogs in cars waiting. I won't go there again during the pandemic, but will use my dog's vet who is still able to schedule on time appointments. Waiting in the car is pretty standard right now but if the vet is going to come out to talk, I don't think that you have anything to worry about.
Thank you. That stinks about your experience today! Talk about stress and anxiety! I still like my old vet. He helped me through a lot with my kidney failure kitty, Jessie. He has a big new office now and tons more staff, which I didn't really like, but in a situation like this, I think I prefer a bigger facility. And he is on tomorrow, which is great, otherwise I would have had to rethink it!

Surfsidesindy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wanted to let you know we took her to the vet and she does have a broken sternum :( It is poking out now, so that is what we are feeling. Doctor said there's not much they can do but he gave her Onsior for pain and inflammation and we just have to pray it heals on its own and her body doesn't try to "reject" the broken piece. It was nice seeing our old doctor, who remembered us from our last kitty and the whole experience was well handled by his staff. We will probably be switching back again. Thank you for your support, it did help a lot.