Bruce, the shy cat

Loving Mickey

Mickey , my heart and soul Angel kitty
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, I know Bruce not only likes you, but he loves both you and your husband, just as much as you both love him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

madzoya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your Feedback. When I got home his voice was back to normal and is eye was clean. And he clearly showed he had missed the company.

We opened the house to him and he tentatively checked it out. He loved the bed. I realised he never seen something so confortable and so big before. He didn't want to come out of it. He also loved the window seat and the view from the window in our bedroom.

Bruce slept with us tonight. Well until 5, then he went on a discovery tour.

He is very vocal. I cannot really understand if he "talks" when he is insecure or if he just "talks". My late cat only talked to us when demanding food, lol.

Needless to say no one slept a wink after 5 am. When I got up at 7, Bruce was hiding under the bed. Did come a few times to look into the kitchen, to check what I was doing, and back to his new hiding hole. The little guy really likes his hiding holes. We closed the one in the kitchen (not very safe), so we will let him have the bed :).

We took a chance and let the bedroom opened for him today. We will not risk the living room just now, as there are too much wires and shelves and stuff.

Regarding him being alone, yes we feared this and even put our concerns to the shelter. They told us that he will get used to it after a time, we need to be patient and let him adapt. It is better than living caged, they said.

We work from 9 to 6. My husband can sometimes pop up home during lunch time, but not often. There is no workaround this.

We also talked to several cat owners who assured us that most cats get used to their time alone, after a little while. One of them being my Vet, who's cat was much more insecure than Bruce (and a kitten) when they got him, and now is a very happy and content cat.

We leave him plenty of toys, and he has space to run around (he actually can entertain himself quite nicely "killing" his toys), and two big windows (closed and heavy) to watch the birds and the neighbours cat who lives in the front building.

I hope he just needs to know we will always come home by the end of the day and that he will always have play time with us and lots of cuddling and a nice warm bed with two loving owners. This will take some time, off course.

Would I love to have another to keep him company?! Of course, but I cannot afford it. Just reading posts on this site reminds me of how expensive it could be to care for a sick cat, and we could not take the responsibility of two right now.

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it sounds like Bruce is making great progress!!
Some cats are just very vocal...my Kitty has a wide range of meows, trills and chirps. Over the years, I've learned what she means by each: feed me, love me, hi how are you etc. When Kitty meows, I just talk right back! I'm guessing Bruce is just a talker [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Bruce will adjust to being an only cat. I used to worry about this issue constantly because Kitty is on her own from 7:30 to 5 every day during the week. It may not be perfect but she has cat trees, windows, toys, warmth, water, food, a bird feeder with birds and squirrels and most importantly, she is showered with love and attention every single day. It more than beats living in a shelter and as you pointed out it's responsible because I can afford to care for her should she need medical attention, which I'm not sure I could do if it had more than one. Bruce will get used to the routine and I bet soon you will find him close to the door or a window waiting for you to come home [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted to add that you should feel good that Bruce opted to sleep with you and your husband. It means he feels very safe with the both of you [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

imaginewizard

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Would I love to have another to keep him company?! Of course, but I cannot afford it. Just reading posts on this site reminds me of how expensive it could be to care for a sick cat, and we could not take the responsibility of two right now.
Idk if it works the same where you are - in the charities near where I live, if you foster a cat, the charity pays for their upkeep.

Loving Mickey

Top Cat
Purraise
Bruce seems to be making wonderful progress! I told you that he loves you and your husband, and that is why he slept in the bed with you. He just wants to be with you. Don't worry, he will get used to your routine. He just needs a little more time to feel secure and know that you will always come back home to him. One of my kitties still cries when I leave the house. I keep reminding him that mommy will be back and how much I love him. I am sure he already knows but I tell him anyway. Yes, I talk to my kitties, all the time!
Bruce will be just fine being an only kitty. My angel kitty, Mickey, loved being an only kitty. Some kitties actually prefer being an only.
You are doing everything just right and Bruce knows he is very loved. Believe me, he loves you both just as much.
Give him lots of cuddles from me!!

madzoya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately we don't have charities like that here. If you foster, you pay for the expenses. And also, I don't know if my heart could take fostering.

madzoya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Last night was better. Although when I came home, Bruce was a bit aloof, he warmed up through the evening and at night was sleeping with us and purring to his and our hearts content.

He was also a bit more alive this morning and eating a lot better. 

Here he is after splashing water all through my kitchen floor.

We found out that he thinks there is another cat in the living room. We have glass doors and he saw his reflexion and probably thought it was another cat. He also saw his reflexion on the big living room window and even puffed his tail.

So last night he kept going into our room and calling for us. We would come into the door in the living room, miau to us and back to our room.

When we finally joined him (when we understood what he wanted) he played and was happy all over. 

We're getting there. We hope today he is a bit more confident and not so scared. And new toys are arriving tomorrow (hopefully) to keep him entertained.

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another excellent Bruce update! Bruce sounds like he has a wonderful personality and you all are going to have so much fun getting to know each other. I love that he's already starting to "order" the two of you around by announcing bedtime [emoji]128569[/emoji] My Kitty is very vocal and I love it...you'll soon know what each of his meows mean!
Please keep us posted on how things are going...I'm so enjoying the updates [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

Loving Mickey

Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, a great Bruce update!
I always think it is so very cute when a cat sees their reflection and thinks it is another cat. I always tell my kitties, "that is you, aren't you adorable"? Of course, they both look at me as if I am crazy.
Yes, Bruce is getting used to your routine. Things will be fine.
He looks very happy and contented in his picture. I am sure he will enjoy his new toys. Also, sleeping in the warm, comfortable bed with you.
Continue the updates and keep posting pictures!

madzoya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!

Bruce is doing better by the day. Still a bit scarred of the living room, but fine in the rest of the house.

He is also starting some mischief which is always a good sign!

Tonight we had a big storm and he slept cuddled in me all night. Still woke up between 4 and 5, as usual, but he is getter better on playing by himself, and more quietly.

My only worry is that he still sneezes now and then. But his vet is coming for dinner tomorrow, and will check him out.

Thank you so much for your concern!

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad your Bruce is doing so well. It sounds as if he is already quite bonded to you and your husband [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

What a lucky little man he is to have his vet coming for dinner! I hope his sniffles are nothing big but it's good you are monitoring as cats who have recently been in a shelter can be exposed to URIs.

greypaws

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for sharing your wonderful Bruce, he looks like he is on 
 along with his Mama.