Bruce here, looking for a Russian Blue for my daughter.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There really isn't such a thing as a mix.
That would mean a purebreed cat escaped a cattery and randomly mated with another cat.
The odds of this happening are slim, to none.

There are, however, many look a likes in shelters - beautiful blue short hair cats that resemble RB's. That is because domestic cats came first and all purebreeds were derived from them. That coat color is very common in domestic cats.

As for personality - it all depends on how the cat was raised and socialized. Even a domestic cat can be a lovely, well adjusted cat as long as they are raised well. Same goes for whether or not a cat can tolerate long hours alone. No kitten should be left alone for hours regardless of what it is, but older cats usually are pretty good about being alone longer hours.
The other thing is, don't trust the breed label that a shelter/rescue attaches to a cat (unless they tell you someone turned in a cat with papers, and my understanding is that that doesn't generally happen).

When I adopted my cat a couple years ago, I was specifically looking for a gray cat, and about half the gray cats were labeled Russian blue "mix," which statistically speaking, makes no sense. I suspect some rescues label every gray moggie as Russian blue. Sometimes you'll even see a cat labeled that but a caveat is added to say the cat is not hypoallergenic-- presumably because people were being inadvertently misled about allergy potential.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The other thing is, don't trust the breed label that a shelter/rescue attaches to a cat (unless they tell you someone turned in a cat with papers, and my understanding is that that doesn't generally happen).

When I adopted my cat a couple years ago, I was specifically looking for a gray cat, and about half the gray cats were labeled Russian blue "mix," which statistically speaking, makes no sense. I suspect some rescues label every gray moggie as Russian blue. Sometimes you'll even see a cat labeled that but a caveat is added to say the cat is not hypoallergenic-- presumably because people were being inadvertently misled about allergy potential.
Yes, all of this. For all breeds. If I had a penny for every person here and on Reddit alone that said they have a pedigree cat they got from a shelter, I'd be able to fill jars full of pennies LOL

I personally have only seen this one time, and it was for myself. A Ragdoll I nearly adopted from my local rescue. The cat was NOT nice (she attacked me and I was only sitting quietly on a couch!) so we said no but, the owner showed us her papers and the breeder was in my state. I told the rescue contact that the contract clearly stated the cat had to be returned to the breeder or for them to give the ok to rehome. Between them and us, we were able to have that cat returned to the breeder for rehabilitation, as it absolutely should have been to begin with.

I've been to lots of events that have rescues for adoption and even the ones that say they specialize in pedigree rescue, never had an actual pedigree cat to rehome with them. Nearly all will be returned to the breeder or given to another family member.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found Quinn’s breeder from looking for siamese breeders in my area online. There were several lists but her website popped up. She had over 50 years experience breeding siamese cats, was on the board of one of the oldest cat groups and a member of the others, gave me a pedigree etc., did health checks, vaccinations etc., and had great reviews. She also will not ship her cats because she does not think it is safe which I liked.
I have a fb friend who has a pb Russian Blue in Maine, but I am not sure where she got him. No pb cat from a breeder will be cheap.

Be aware there is no truly hypoallergenic cat. It all depends on how your daughter reacts to x cat. Having to bathe or wet a cat all the time etc. is going to be a lot of work, also a lot of cats don’t like being bathed either or water. Mine have not liked it with one exception, but some tolerated it.

Siberians are known to be good for people who are allergic because they can have less of the allergy causing protein, but you need to test it and again it still depends on how the person reacts to the individual cat.

It would be pretty rare to find a pb cat at a shelter or even a real mix… but it does happen. Usually they are gone in an instant. I do see people rehoming pb cats/ kittens, and dogs on pet adoption sites. In a few years though I have only seen a handful of pb cats. One siberian, she was gorgeous and a calico like my Syb, her breeder had passed and a friend was rehoming her ( I wanted to adopt her but she was in Ca), one rb kitten, and some Persians and rag-dolls. Many more pb dogs. They are all gone very fast.

Some breeds have rescue groups which re-home that breed so you could try that too, or buy an older, retired cat from a breeder.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bruce MacPhail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so surprised at what you have to go thru now to adopt a cat from a shelter.All the cats we got when I grew up were from shelters, and all you had to do was pick one out, get it neutered, and fill out some paperwork. Pay was usually optional, but I remember usually giving $25 or so. The shelters were just so glad the cat was going home with someone.Now sometime a shelter wants to get a check on the home, If you have a vet and usually too someone who can vouch for you being a good candidate for a pet.
I hate to say this, but whatever happened to common sense ? If you go to all the trouble of going out and looking for a pet to adopt, isn't that enough? Plus the shelters have so many you would think they would be glad someone looking for a pet even bothers to come in to inquire in this day and age.
I have to say I'm glad I grew up when I did, there just seemed to be more trust, something that doesn't seem to happen much these days. Plus we didn't have the ability to go to a forum or look up things like we can today, everything was word of mouth, and eye to eye.
Very much like the animals we seeks, they can only trust what they see and hear.
Sorry to digress, but we did get a call back from the first cat we inquired about and I hope we can get the necessary references to actually go thru with getting the cat, but I'll let you know how its coming along.
Also want to say thanks to everyone for helping . I also love Photography, although mostly wild animals and birds, so I will surely take some photos.

meowmixing

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am a russian blue afficionado and live with two purebred. I have had blues from Japan, US and Canada (who were all distantly related based on pedigree!).

I have friends who are allergic to cats who have said they still feel a reaction when they visit my home, so you cannot guarantee your daughter will not react to them.

You will not find a Russian blue cat in a shelter. You will most definitely find amazing grey coloured cats. Reputable breeders are sure that their pet quality kittens for sale get spay and neutered before adoption or try to ensure the new owners agree to it. Russian blue breeders tend to be a tight knit community. They will take back their cats when things do not work out and rehome them.

Ethical breeders won’t be in it for the money and often are focused on showing which is why I believe the prices are quite high (they travel and show, get cats from other catteries to have a healthy gene pool, vet bills etc). If breeding for quantity their cats will likely have a lot of (expensive) health issues. Even my senior purebreds seem to rack up some vet bills once they hit 12 or so though. It is an investment like any cat.

If you truly want to get a blue you I would have your daughter travel to visit some catteries and see if she can handle a particular cattery’s cats allergy wise. Fostering a rescue cat for awhile to see if she is ok with it could also be a good strategy.

Good luck!

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take a look at citysiberians.com. they are reputable and in the Boston area. However getting a kitten from a good breeder means getting on a waiting list and it could be up to a year or more before your name comes up on the list. However,this breeder has references to other breeders and can find kittens.
I am highly allergic, but found out that even the hypoallergenic breeds are not prrfect. I figured why pay thousands for a pedigree when I could end up itching and wheezing anyway. So q adopted my calico from a shelter and take over the counter when necessary.
There are so many scammer s out to get people with allergies who are desperate for a cat. I spent a year just searching. There are a few scam alert sites that you can use as well. But try city siberians. There is also one down the cape but the name escapes me.

Bruce MacPhail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Definitely don't need a show cat thats for sure. But I swear some cats think they are show cats. I'm checking on one now, and will let you know what happens. BTW my little friendly cat visitor came by today. I was in the celler getting some of my seedlings into pots for the new year and I hear tapping on my cellar window. I look up and there it is. Of course I had to stop what I was doing and go out and see, of course giving some generous petting was also in order.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Definitely don't need a show cat thats for sure. But I swear some cats think they are show cats. I'm checking on one now, and will let you know what happens. BTW my little friendly cat visitor came by today. I was in the celler getting some of my seedlings into pots for the new year and I hear tapping on my cellar window. I look up and there it is. Of course I had to stop what I was doing and go out and see, of course giving some generous petting was also in order.
Spontan adoptions do often turn out the best... :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My brother had a terrible reaction to cats, hives, and a swollen throat. but none to the Siamese breed! so he has had siamese all his life now with no problems. so it goes to show different breeds have different dander. i must say too, that every cat I have had with Siamese characteristics, (like the white one in my Avatar) has had a different 'feel; to their fur, coarser somehow, and have a different odor to their skin, Not unpleasant, just there!

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My brother had a terrible reaction to cats, hives, and a swollen throat. but none to the Siamese breed! so he has had siamese all his life now with no problems. so it goes to show different breeds have different dander. i must say too, that every cat I have had with Siamese characteristics, (like the white one in my Avatar) has had a different 'feel; to their fur, coarser somehow, and have a different odor to their skin, Not unpleasant, just there!
That is odd because my Quinn has soft silky fur, but short of course.

Bruce MacPhail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well hopefully Tara should be home today. We looked at her Saturday, and she was great. Of course almost every cat there wanted attention. So of course we showed as many as possible the attention they carved, of course washing our hands between each one.
But I will say Tara does not like other cats at all. While my wife had picker her up, another one kept tapping my wife on the shoulder thru her cage. Tara gave her a good hiss and that ended rather quickly.
I just hope I got the house as cat safe as I can. Any suggestions on things I should be careful of ?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I just hope I got the house as cat safe as I can. Any suggestions on things I should be careful of ?
I've been reading your thread and wanted to congratulate you on bringing Tara home soon. :thumbsup: With regards to your question above I thought these two TCS Articles would have some helpful information and advice for you:
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home - TheCatSite
How To Make Your Home And Garden Safe For Your Cat - TheCatSite

And please feel free to post a pic or two of Tara once she is acclimated to her new environment. :camera:

Bruce MacPhail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is doing well so far, loves to play, and she is getting used to the house quickly. Also still finding out her favorite foods. She seems to like fish type snacks best so far:Temptation meaty mix ups Salmon and Tuna.And Purina Pro plan. Really have to watch out for grain type fillers.
Thanks very much for the articles

Attachments

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is doing well so far, loves to play, and she is getting used to the house quickly. Also still finding out her favorite foods. She seems to like fish type snacks best so far:Temptation meaty mix ups Salmon and Tuna.And Purina Pro plan. Really have to watch out for grain type fillers.
such a pretty kitty:D

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aww, she looks a little like my pewter princess.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
such a beauty 😻

Bruce MacPhail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So far so good though she keeps scratching at one ear. She was microchipped, but they wouldn't put in her ear I don't think.
We put her cat tree right in the bay window so she can see everything going on in the street and across the street into the neighbors yards. Plus my next door neighbor feeds the birds so sees lots of "virtual" targets.
She sure is a purr machine.