Bruce here, looking for a Russian Blue for my daughter.

Bruce MacPhail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My daughter is in College, and she is slightly allergic. I'm retired just and am doing some research into getting a cat for her (me too!). I'm finding Russian Blues to be quite hard to find. I'm in the New England area BTW. Also very expensive. I would much rather find one at a shelter, I grew up with both dogs and cats, and remember them very fondly. Matter of fact, woke up early this morning thinking about them. I remember going to a local breeder and getting a Siberian Husky for my mom for Christmas. Of course I had to pick the runt of the litter, never forget that experience. I want my daughter to have those memories too.
I tried most of the local shelters with no luck. If it was me it could be any cat, but I need to look at hypoallergenic breeds. It will also be spending some time alone with her when she goes to classes, so I need a breed that can handle that well. I also don't need a purebred, just healthy.
Also I don't want to get scammed, many breeders I have looked at online, I just don't trust, so I came here for lots of advice and help, getting a new friend for my daughter. I'm going to keep it first for her until she comes home for the summer, so we will have time to get acquainted .
So please chime in and lend me a hand . I really would appreciate the help. Thanks

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Allergic and cat is pretty individual.
So for example, the dau of our first breeder was allergic to their RB, but she wasnt allergic to the family Birma...

But I do agree, RB are often mild for allergics... Nobody had ever complained on me, although mine boys love to sleep on Dads trousers...
And yet I did had a bridge pard whom was allergic to cats and dogs...

So, learn all the tricks of the allergic owner to a cat (there are many; I have written up a summary several times).
And also, make a plan B... Ie what to do if the cats is really impossible to get used to... Let an relative adopt it? Have a promise from the breeder to rebuy it? Or the shelter to take it back?

Another breed aside of RB supposed to be mild for the allergics, are the Siberian cats...

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Allergic and cat is pretty individual.
So for example, the dau of our first breeder was allergic to their RB, but she wasnt allergic to the family Birma...

But I do agree, RB are often mild for allergics... Nobody had ever complained on me, although mine boys love to sleep on Dads trousers...
And yet I did had a bridge pard whom was allergic to cats and dogs...

So, learn all the tricks of the allergic owner to a cat (there are many; I have written up a summary several times).
And also, make a plan B... Ie what to do if the cats is really impossible to get used to... Let an relative adopt it? Have a promise from the breeder to rebuy it? Or the shelter to take it back?

Another breed aside of RB supposed to be mild for the allergics, are the Siberian cats...
As you know, it is usually the dander from the cats saliva that humans are allergic to. Regular bathing helps with that so your breed selection may not be as limited as you think as long as you are willing to bathe the cat. Contrary to popular belief, cats can and do get used to baths if started young and done regularly. I am also in New England. I know a Siberian breeder in Boston. If you want her cattery name, just let me know. She also may know some Russian Blue breeders as that was the first breed she worked with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bruce MacPhail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes please do let me know. Personally I think a Russian Blue mix would be fine. After quite a bit of research, its suggested not to wash the oil out of some cats too often, just a weekly brush, but it sure does seem to depend on the breed.
Other thing is it has to have a personality where it can be left alone sometimes for a few hours.

SrBridgerton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m in the northeast and I was lucky to find my Russian blue on petfinder. He’s definitely mixed I don’t think I found a pure blue online for adoption. Before I started the process of adopting a cat I went to my local allergist for testing and they said I was severely allergic to cats and would not recommend it. One thing to note with that is that I do not have asthma, that really complicates allergies. I took Zyrtec every other day after getting my cat and I’m down to one every week for the most part after two months. If my cat licks me I have to wash the area pretty immediately otherwise I’ll get a slight rash there.
I use the furminator weekly and it does help a lot. Vacuuming the couch where he sits and dusting up his fur around the apartment made a difference as well.
Over time it might be the case that your daughters allergies might lessen but it doesn’t always happen.

Bruce MacPhail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think someone is trying to tell me something. I was out in the kitchen getting dinner ready when I heard a strange crunching sound. My daughter had left a cereal box partly open on the floor. I picked it up and a mouse jumped up in the air about 5 inches from my nose. It hit the ground running and disappeared under a cabinet. I've heard of coincidences but this is something else.
Obviously I'm not much of a mouser, but I hope the cat we get is !

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes please do let me know. Personally I think a Russian Blue mix would be fine. After quite a bit of research, its suggested not to wash the oil out of some cats too often, just a weekly brush, but it sure does seem to depend on the breed.
Other thing is it has to have a personality where it can be left alone sometimes for a few hours.
Ah you dont need to wash out the oil, its enough you rinse off the cat in a shower.... Or learn it swim...

Or swipe off the whole fur with a wet cloth every day....

But yeah, brushing (preferably done by someone else) does helps too. For example, I have heard persians have some reputation of being allerghy friendly... Now, its my belief this is because, people are used to routinely brush off and groom the persians, and also, bathe them relatively often.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
If you are looking for a specific breed for it's potential hypoallergenic properties then you really shouldn't be looking at a mixed breed. As posiepurrs mentioned Siberians are also a breed that is considered to be hypoallergenic. You really need to so your research though. Even among Siberians the Neva Masquerade type is considered to have more allergens than a regular Siberian and there is also a difference between males and females.

There is a cat show in Topsfield, MA at the end of April -

General Info — Catsachusetts Cat Club

You may be able to meet and speak with Russian Blue and Siberian breeders there.

There is also a show in Concord, NH at the beginning of MAy -

https://cfa.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/Seacoast-May2023.pdf

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Folie a Deux ( not 100% sure I spelled that correctly!) Just a note: Iris, the owner is also a CFA judge so she travels A LOT. It may take some time for her to answer an email. She also breeds angoras and has started with Japanese Bobtails the last I talked to her, which has been awhile ago. You can’t go wrong going to a show. The Seacoast show was a favorite of mine when I was showing. Just take a sweater with you because it is held in an ice skating rink and is chilly.

Bruce MacPhail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My biggest issue is availability. I'm just not finding that many. I did find one in Ontario,Canada, I think it was in Sudbury. I don't mind driving a bit to find one. Russian Blues just seem to tick all the boxes.
As far as mixed though, I'm hoping it should retain the hypoallergenic traits. Cost for a pure Blue are just crazy.

Bruce MacPhail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
BTW does anyone know of any other sites I might be able to find Blues that is legit ?

TARTARA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe it's better to wait for the upcoming breed season... !? Just thinking around... !?

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You aren't likely to find a purebred kitten from any ethical breeder for cheap, but you can surely find a grey coated cat at a shelter and have your daughter visit it to see if it triggers her allergies or not. It really varies on the individual cat and person, there's no such thing as a cat that is hypoallergenic so meeting any cat you hope to keep would really be the best way to go. Even the diet fed can make a difference for how bad the reaction is.

Bruce MacPhail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For now I'm just trying to figure out what breeds are the most hypoallergenic, and pick from those. Also thinking of trying the Massachusetts Humane Society.

Bruce MacPhail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm also supposed to be receiving emails, but for some reason I'm not getting them.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
For now I'm just trying to figure out what breeds are the most hypoallergenic, and pick from those. Also thinking of trying the Massachusetts Humane Society.
A way to perhaps get a cheap purebred is if there is a retired breeding animal; where a good home is more important than the price... if a young cat is important so perhaps one of pet quality, or one whom was send back and no longer can be sold for full price.... HERE its of course touchy to ask; because no breeder is breeding for pet quality... so you need to be diplomatic and have your ears listening...

Last edited:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There really isn't such a thing as a mix.
That would mean a purebreed cat escaped a cattery and randomly mated with another cat.
The odds of this happening are slim, to none.

There are, however, many look a likes in shelters - beautiful blue short hair cats that resemble RB's. That is because domestic cats came first and all purebreeds were derived from them. That coat color is very common in domestic cats.

As for personality - it all depends on how the cat was raised and socialized. Even a domestic cat can be a lovely, well adjusted cat as long as they are raised well. Same goes for whether or not a cat can tolerate long hours alone. No kitten should be left alone for hours regardless of what it is, but older cats usually are pretty good about being alone longer hours.

Bruce MacPhail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll make sure the younger cat we get has at least my company. I'm also hoping once she gets a single cat, she may like it enough to get another for company, but one thing at a time.
BTW hope your Moonshadow follows you like the song.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll make sure the younger cat we get has at least my company. I'm also hoping once she gets a single cat, she may like it enough to get another for company, but one thing at a time.
BTW hope your Moonshadow follows you like the song.
Haha, she does, indeed LOL