Brown mystery kitten!

teamcarp33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently adopted a wonderful little kitten from the local animal shelter. She is gorgeous- an even cocoa brown all over. I know very little about cat breeds, but I see a lot of kittens volunteering at the shelter, and have never seen a brown kitten or cat before! I know she most likely not a purebred or even a "mix", but I like to speculate on what breeds she might have mixed in there. Any theories?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Havana Brown? Of course, without papers she's just a Domestic Short Hair. (Or Long Hair!)

However, I HAVE seen cats and kittens at the shelter that were actually black but looked brown due to health reasons.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

teamcarp33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Uh oh, I hope she's Ok. Certainly seems healthy to me. And I have seen black cats with a brown tinge, but this little girl is really really just brown. I'd post a picture, but I can't figure out how

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We do need pics! The color alone isnt enough...

I saw an older english cat book, perhaps from 1950-es? Where they had breed schematic´s based on colors...

Of course, there were lesser amount of recognized breeds these days...

So, it is enough with color, nor even description. A couple of good photos are necessary to have a beginning.
Especielly as most breeds does come in several colors - with russian blue and Korat as the very few exceptions....

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by teamcarp33

Uh oh, I hope she's Ok. Certainly seems healthy to me. And I have seen black cats with a brown tinge, but this little girl is really really just brown. I'd post a picture, but I can't figure out how
There's a guide for posting pictures somewhere around here, but it boils down to this.

You upload the photos to one of the free hosting sites, such as Photobucket. Copy the url of the photo on that site, come here, post a message, and up at the top of the message form there is an icon that looks like a mountain with the sun over it. Click on that, paste the url of the hosted photo in the blank, click "OK," and then "Submit Reply."

It works best to have photos about 640x480 pixels.

teamcarp33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently adopted this lovely kitten from my local animal shelter. She's brown! Any ideas about which breeds of cats can be brown, and where the brown gene might come from?

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow! Gorgeous kitty!
I've never seen that color before...so pretty!

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The color is called chocolate. Chocolate is one of the basic cat colors (other are black, red and tortoiseshell, chocolate is a rare one though), and the diluted version of it is cinnamon. Chocolate is recessive, which means that both of the parents must carry it or be one themselves to produce chocolate offspring.
It looks a bit like she could be silver too, is the undercoat 'white'? If it is, then she is a chocolate smoke.
She is pretty.
Doesn't remind me of any specific breed, would be easier to throw in any guesses after she's grown up.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Beautiful!

I don't know anything about breeds, but I see some tabby markings on her.

I've Googled and some cats that come in the brown-ish colour are:

Havanah Brown
Burmese
Tabby
Oriental
Persian
Tabby is a pattern, not a breed. The kitten in the pictures is solid (non-agouti), doesn't have actual tabby markings, what you see are called 'ghost markings' which usually disappear when the cat grows up. (But if she is a smoke they can stay more visible).

Many breeds come with chocolate color (for example almost all colorpointed breeds, Brit, Foldie, Ocicat, all rexes, and the list goes on and on, so there could be anything in her).

teamcarp33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Interesting, thanks! Her underbelly is brown too, but some of her hairs have a lighter color at the base, and a darker brown color toward the tip. I guess her "ghost markings" will probably disappear then. She's a sweet hilarious kitten, and breed certainly doesn't matter, but the genetics behind it is so fascinating to learn about....

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Hard to tell in the pics, but are the whiskers white, or brown? If brown, then it's a Havana Brown. If white, then probably a DSH with chocolate coloring

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Draco

Hard to tell in the pics, but are the whiskers white, or brown? If brown, then it's a Havana Brown. If white, then probably a DSH with chocolate coloring
??
At least some of the choco BSHs I've seen have had brown whiskers and they aren't Havana Browns so I wouldn't count on that one. Some had brown/white.