Brown liquid/maybe white on cats bum

Katieannee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi my cat Marcy is nearly 6, this week I’ve noticed some white by her bum and last night noticed some brown liquid (only a tiny bit) today the little bit of white was there again it, I’ve tried to wipe it with some toilet paper but nothing comes off and she isn’t in any pain when you go near her bum. I’ve heard it could be the anal glands but she isn’t licking or scooting and is going toilet normally. Marcy doesn’t like the vets at all and for her next visit she will have to be anesthesia as the vet says it’s for the best. I don’t really want that to happen so hoping it won’t be the glands or anything. Does anyone know what it can be? Can it be normal? I don’t think i’ve seen it before but I don’t really remember

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Can you be more specific about the white? The brown liquid could be from her anal glands - Feeby (15+ yo) has done that with no scooting or excessive licking involved, or unusual BMs. However, in Feeby's case it is likely due to a lack of cleaning, as the stimulation of cleaning - in addition to normal poops - helps to express the glands.

Anesthesia seems extreme for a vet visit. Have you talked to the vet about trying a small dose of Gabapentin - there are other members who have used this to help calm their cats before a vet visit. If your vet is willing, you could actually get a dose before the next vet visit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katieannee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s like a white blob right by the opening, it seem like the texture of slime I guess? I’ve tried to wipe it of but it doesn’t move and it’s not there all the time, I don’t think it’s worms as she was wormed and flees a couple months ago ( since she’s inly indoor she needs it yearly). No I haven’t heard of that before? The vet has never mentioned it to me I will mention it

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it is like slime, you would think it would be removable by wiping it. It sounds like it could be pus, which wouldn't be a good thing, but I would think it could be wiped off. Hopefully other members will come along soon with some ideas. The other thing you could do is call your vet's office and ask if they have an idea what it could be - maybe even send them a pic if they accept them? I suppose you could place a pic on this site too?!?!

Edit: Gabapentin is a pain med, used for many things - but when used in very small dosages it has an anti-anxiety effect.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katieannee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I called the vet and they said it was best to bring her in as it been there for a couple days. They said they would try to keep her awake but most likely will have to sedate as it will be much better for her. Very scared to have her sedated but I’d rather her be calm then freaked out as last time it was horrible

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like anal gland secretions. They're usually brown but can be whitish. Sometimes the glands just leak a bit.

Ask the vet about gabapetin to use ahead of future vet visits to sedate the cat a bit. You typically give a dose 2 hours before a visit. Pill Pockets work great to the the pill into the cat or you can try opening the pill (it's a capsule) and sprinkling the medicine into a little yummy tasting food like canned tuna.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you take a picture and a video to show the vet first? Maybe they can offer something to try first without taking her in that way.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's great :) Anal gland expression is something you can do at home next time. That would save a stressful and expensive trip to the vet. It's not hard to do but can be messy and most cats don't like you messing around back there. I suggest attempting this in the bathroom with the door closed and have paper towels on hand to clean up any goo that squirts out. You may need an extra pair of hands to hold the cat. It's a good idea to trim the claws first. There are articles and videos online that show how to express a cat's anal glands.