Brown discharges with a pregnant cat.

Chris Cabarless

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_20191021_112813.jpg

My cat is pregnant and had been dripping this brownish discharge all around the house. I've went to a vet and he said it's a urinal infection by only physically examining her. He said the baby is okay, and indeed her womb is growing and she's still having pregnancy symptoms. He prescribed an antibiotic for one week and it's been a week. The discharge frequency is changing, it did decrease yet it's been a week and it hadn't stop yet. If anyone has any helpful information or shared the same experience please let me know.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Vaginal discharge refers to any substance (mucus, blood, pus) excreted by the cat's vagina. Because there are so many causes for this medical condition, consulting a veterinarian is highly recommended.
Vaginal discharge can affect both dogs and cats. If you would like to learn more about how this disease affects dogs please visit this page in the PetMD pet health library.
SYMPTOMS
Symptoms can include discharge (mucus, blood, pus) from the cat's vagina, spotting of blood, scooting of the hindquarters, and a higher incidence of male attraction.
CAUSES
There are many risk factors which can lead to vaginal discharge; some of the more common causes include:
  • Vaginal trauma
  • Vaginal infection
  • Urinary tract infection
  • Abnormal cells in the vaginal area
  • Retained placenta following a birthing
  • Fetal death (in cases of pregnant females)
  • Presence of a foreign object in the vaginal cavity
Estrogen medications given during some phases of the cat's heat or estrous cycle, medications containing male hormones and certain antibiotics can alter the vaginal cells, leading to excess discharge. There are also some antibiotics which can cause vaginal discharge.

I think you should take your cat to another vet for a second opinion if the antibiotics course has been finished, if it is still the same after a week .

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
f your cat is pregnant and you notice that she is bleeding from her vulva: she may be experiencing a miscarriage. Depending on the stage of pregnancy in which your cat is in, the risk levels will vary:
  • First weeks of pregnancy: it is possible that it is due to the death of one of the kittens. This stage in which the fetuses are still poorly formed, the body of most cats simply absorbs the tissue. Therefore, the possibilities of complication are low.
  • Middle of the gestation: here, it is probable that the mother and the rest of the kittens are in danger. In this phase, abortions can be spontaneous. often due to: trauma or a serious uterine infection.
In both cases it is essential to go to the veterinarian immediately. A professional will be able to analyse the situation and treat it accordingly. A veterinarian will most likely request an ultrasound or x-ray in order to evaluate the cat’s state of pregnancy.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh dear! You need to see the vet again. She needs an ultrasound or x-ray to see what is going on. It may be a miscarriage of one or more kittens or it could be something more serious.

Do you know how far along she is?

This needs immediate attention. Please see a vet who has experience with pregnant cats and kittens. The fact this has been going on for over a week is very concerning. She may need an emergency spay or C-section depending on what an x-ray shows.

Do let us know how this goes.

C Chris Cabarless

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chris Cabarless

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh dear! You need to see the vet again. She needs an ultrasound or x-ray to see what is going on. It may be a miscarriage of one or more kittens or it could be something more serious.

Do you know how far along she is?

This needs immediate attention. Please see a vet who has experience with pregnant cats and kittens. The fact this has been going on for over a week is very concerning. She may need an emergency spay or C-section depending on what an x-ray shows.

Do let us know how this goes.

C Chris Cabarless

I'll visit another vet by tomorrow, and she's in her 30'ish day. A month and a few days since she ran out of the house before we managed to get her back.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m glad you can see a vet tomorrow because something is not right. Please update us after the appointment.

Chris Cabarless

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update,

I've visited another vet today. He said she's having a miscarriage but the other baby is okay. To refrain from causing stress to the mother he advised me to give her one more week to allow her to do a natural abortion before considering any surgeries.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Great! How did the vet ascertain this? Did he do an x-ray or ultrasound? Did he say what the gestational age of the remaining kitten is?

Hopefully she will complete the miscarriage and the other kitten can grow to full term without mom or baby being in danger.

Thank you for seeing another vet today.

C Chris Cabarless

Chris Cabarless

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was informed that ultrasounds and x-rays aren't available for cats at my country yet. His checkup and results were a conclusion of the pictures I showed him accompanied with the little drops she had on the towel of her cage. He also did a physical check and diagnosed her with a stethoscope. The vet asked me to stay in touch as well to her condition, and inform him if the discharges worsens or kept their paste. She should have a normal abortion by the next few days hopefully.