Brown Cats

lauren griffin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Chocolate.  Was 4 or 5 mos old at the San Diego Humane Society.  Was all by himself.  Still gets scared by odd things, so wonder if he was maybe feral & separated from mommy a little too soon.  Coat is gorgeous, wonderously soft and perfect.  Water beads off of it, like mink.  He is meticulously tidy and clean.  Has a brilliant white tuxedo, along with white whiskers & gold eyes, so he couldnt be a show cat, but I think he must be a Havana Brown with that amazing color, glorious coat, and lovely social ways.  Tail is long and slender with all kinds of personality like a siamese, but head is more rounded like an American domestic shorthair.  Has bonus features.  Tail curls into a stiff curlique or loop when base of tail is scratched.  Loves to mash his head against my ear and knead my hair and purr his little butt off.  He will give a scalp and neck massage for 20 minutes. Sweetest, most charming disposition ever.  Very playful.  Always tapping and patting things with his little paint dipped toes.  Likes metal things.  Found a bag of washing machine parts and selected 2 big bolts he likes to carry around in his mouth and bat around.  Every so often, something will scare him, and his tail goes POOOF!!  I consider myself so lucky to have spotted this rare delectable treat at a shelter of all places, rather than searching to pay crazy breeder prices.  I had no idea what a Havana Brown was, but he is my Choclatey Goodness.  hes a cuddler, but hates to be picked up.  Maybe he was a breeder reject because of his white markings and gold eyes, but it think they make him so freaking adorable!

Clean Feet Clean feet Clean feet

POOOF!!!  Normally sleek & slender and waving back & forth in a happy graceful relaxed "S" formation.  Almost like hes singing "la la la la la" to himself.  Hes the sweetest happiest boy.

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Lauren Griffin  OK, I could eat him in one sitting.. LOL 

Chocolate is  ADORABLE! And yes! You are right! Everything that makes him a "breeder reject" is what makes him gorgeous! I believe he is definitely a Havana Brown mix, because of his coat's colour and "silkyness".
His whiskers are not Havana Brown, though 
 But their white colour creates a beautiful contrast on the rest of the coat. Brilliant!

The "roundness" in his face, plus the gold of his eyes, does remind me a bit of a British Shorthair actually, minus the "button nose", round eyes and small ears. Chocolate's eyes are almond shaped, but the colour is almost like a "golden-amber" shade, that I've only encountered in British shorthair.. WOW! 

His white tuxedo is just striking! He does look like a true gentleman! 

His habbit of using his front paws to communicate with you or experience things is a very distinquising trait of the Havana Browns. His paws are all pink, right? From what I can tell.. 

Grizzly doesn't like to be picked up either, except for rare occasions.. VERY VERY VERY rare occasions.. 

Be careful what you feed him! I found the hard way that common commercial foods tend to increase their glucose level. So a biologically appropriate food, is the safest way to go 

From what I can see he has hair between his eyes and ears, so he skipped that trait - which is good!

How old is he now and how much does he weigh?

Last edited:

lauren griffin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He should be about 3 1/2 this coming February.  Not sure about weight, but hes medium/light, & agile, not built like a maine coon for sure!  Nor slender like the thin siamese, more stocky like the american shorthair.  Kind of dainty.  Much more mellow than my previous cat.  Kind of submissive.  His feeties seem to be a mix of brown & pink.  He likes to wash me, and sleep in what I like to call the Leg Nest.  I think he feels safe surrounded by me on all sides. Fun to have found a place to share him, as he is so special, and other brown cats are hard to find.  I thought Brown was probably black when I saw the description on the web, because aside from abyssinians, I had never seen a brown cat.  But he is most definitely Brown.  Moonpie, and Cadbury were in the running when I was trying to decide on a name.  I finally decided Chocolate was simple and sweet.  

Here he is trying to help me with my taxes. 

I tend to find him more foofy foods like Iams & fancy feast, but alternate with exotic flavors or whats on sale, so he gets Friskies & Whiskas also.  I give him mostly dry, with occasional canned as a treat.  Will have to ask about glucose levels when I get a little more on the ball with the vet.  He is so perfect & scrumptious and healthy, but does seem to throw up now & then, so maybe that is why.

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
 Moonpie, and Cadbury were in the running when I was trying to decide on a name.  I finally decided Chocolate was simple and sweet.  
Here he is trying to help me with my taxes. 

My chocolate baby is named Cadbury!!! [emoji]10084[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]

Cadbury is about 12.5 pounds and isn't fat. You wouldn't know it to look at himy. He looks about 10 pounds, maybe. I've seen cats his size that weigh only 9lbs LOL. Cadbury also came from a shelter, like your Chocolate!

Last edited:

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Uhm, seriously though? This hoody? Loving it!
 I think Grizzly is done being the evil twin and is going for the "twin with lack in style" .. or the boring "au naturelle" or however it's called! LOL

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Uhm, seriously though? This hoody? Loving it! :rockout:  I think Grizzly is done being the evil twin and is going for the "twin with lack in style" .. or the boring "au naturelle" or however it's called! LOL
LOL Grizzly is anything but boring.[emoji]128526[/emoji]
I guess he needs a hoodie now too.... but...he obviously looks good naked anyway!! ahahahhahaha!

lauren griffin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Grizzley must really have been having trouble to get down to 5.  Most kitties Ive had have only got down to that light when they were on their way out.  Glad to see him looking robust and happy again.  Tsunami had IBD issues and could not tolerate any grains, gluten, or common meats other than fish AT ALL.  So he got to eat duck, rabbit, and venison.  When we gave him the limited ingredient diet it was obvious improvement, so I was glad not have to put him thru an endoscopy. Chocolates barfing a little more than I like, but I also keep wanting to bring him all sorts of different nomtastic foods to spoil him with, which I probably shouldnt do.  But hes still pretty young, so I kinda feel like he still has so many delicious things to experience.  Maybe Ill have to try going back to Taste of the Wild & see if it helps.  Hes currently doing his thing were he reaches out and tries to snag and pull out ONE string or thread from the bedding so he can eat it.  I scold him, and he acts very apologetic about it, but then continues to try and creep over so he can continue doing it.  Little turkey!  But hes so cute I cant really ever get seriously mad at him.

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Grizzley must really have been having trouble to get down to 5.  Most kitties Ive had have only got down to that light when they were on their way out.  Glad to see him looking robust and happy again.  Tsunami had IBD issues and could not tolerate any grains, gluten, or common meats other than fish AT ALL.  So he got to eat duck, rabbit, and venison.  When we gave him the limited ingredient diet it was obvious improvement, so I was glad not have to put him thru an endoscopy. Chocolates barfing a little more than I like, but I also keep wanting to bring him all sorts of different nomtastic foods to spoil him with, which I probably shouldnt do.  But hes still pretty young, so I kinda feel like he still has so many delicious things to experience.  Maybe Ill have to try going back to Taste of the Wild & see if it helps.  Hes currently doing his thing were he reaches out and tries to snag and pull out ONE string or thread from the bedding so he can eat it.  I scold him, and he acts very apologetic about it, but then continues to try and creep over so he can continue doing it.  Little turkey!  But hes so cute I cant really ever get seriously mad at him.
Well, last summer actually, Grizzly attacked my mother and we had to face various and major issues.. Our apartment was divided in 2, because we had to keep a middle door closed at all times, until my mother's wound was healed. Needless to say she was not that willing to be in the same room with him, for about 2 months (if I remember correctly). So, this whole situation was really hard on him. 
It was summer, so it was really hot and Grizzly usually loses weight because he doesn't eat that much. Also, he was under a lot of stress because he knew my mother was at the other side of the door and yet he couldn't be with her.. So, all of those factors resulted to him losing all that weight. 

Thankfully, my mother overcame her shock and started interacting with him again, her wound was healed and everything went back to normal. The Havana Browns are known for their people-oriented personality and Grizzly absolutely hates it when he can't be with us. He doesn't do well when he has to be alone for long.

Also, I did a little research and Chocolate does resemble a breed called Mink Ragdoll, @Lauren Griffin  

In terms of treats, I spoil Grizzly with poached egg (especially when the yolk is "runny"), poached turkey, some Greek yogurt and some tuna from time to time. 

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Kimber looks brown 85% of the time. Sometimes I think she's black. Sometimes brown. Her undercoat is a light grey colour and she has a smokey colour mixed into her belly fur and on he chest. I don't even know what I'd call her, colour-wise. A black cat with rusty undertones maybe. Her undercoat throws me off though.

Last edited: