Brown Cats

creepyowl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is there such a thing as a brown cat?

Not a brown tabby. Just a solid coloured brown cat. A milk chocolate coloured cat. Not a "dark" brown where its nearly black, but a tan light tea coloured brown cat.

Please, if there is, post your proof!

yorda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not a light, light brown…and I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t think I have any pictures of her here… but someone dumped a sickly chocolate brown kitten at a friends farm a few years back. She was not as quite as dark as pictures I have seen of Havana Browns and has some white on her chest and stomach. I have never seen a cat that color before or since then. I really would have liked to know where her coloring came from since we never got any cats other cats at the local shelters like that.

The last I heard from the woman I placed her with was that she looked like she was turning grey as she got older.

fats mcgee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We had the strangest looking calico at the shelter. She was shades of brown and orange and hardly a lick of white on her. She was beautiful and VERY different looking. I wish I had a pic b/c you'd say "woooow"

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oriental Shorthairs come in cinnamon and fawn, not quite milk chocolate colour - the cinnamon is a rich reddish brown and the fawn is well fawn!, both lighter shades than the Havana, here is a link to the GCCF Affiliated group...

Oriental Cinnamon & Fawn Group

There are plenty of photos on that site, also of Cinnamon Point Siamese which don't yet have Championship status in the GCCF.

ETA: I've just found a more recent website for the club here Sonic's breeder has a beautiful fawn queen and she is very excited about showing her in championship classes, she's going to be shown in June right after they have championship status so fingers crossed for her

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sandtigress

Well, there are Havana browns, but they might be a little dark for what you're looking for. http://www.cfainc.org/breeds/profiles/havana.html
OMG Teddy is so like those Havana browns - I have just noticed in the last couple of days that he has 'ghost' markings - he has a 'v' marking at the side of each eye, and some tabby stripes down from his back to his tum
and a lot of the other description seem to match up

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

Here's a link to the "available kittens" page from Sabina's breeder. Scroll down to almost the bottom, and you'll see a couple of "natural mink" kittens. They're adorable!

http://www.purfectpurrs.com/pp/ragdo...tensavailable1
AWWWWWWW!!!!
They are sooooooo cute! I want one!!!!!

At first I was thinking that I had never seen a brown kitty!!! But now I have!

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Proof? I have proof!! I am a Burmese's slave.

There are several breeds that can become chocolate. The Burmese (it's called sable or champagne, depending on the depth of the brown), the Havana Brown (an oriental-looking cat, long and lanky), the Tonkinese, and some other breeds accept the color as a bicolor or solid, but it's rare.

Some Burmese come in many colors, others only in sable, depending on the association. Havana Browns are only brown. Tonkinese come in many colors in general.

Here's some pics!!

A champagne Burmese.

Sable Burmese.

Godiva, my sable Burmese.

She looks like a little pit bull here...

I hope that helps! I love chocolate cats.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

OMG Teddy is so like those Havana browns - I have just noticed in the last couple of days that he has 'ghost' markings - he has a 'v' marking at the side of each eye, and some tabby stripes down from his back to his tum
and a lot of the other description seem to match up
Not to burst your bubble, but if you ever see a Havana in person, you will notice the brown. It looks to me that Teddy is black, and most black cats have a brown hue in the sunlight, but Havanas have a very distinct chocolate, like a chocolate lab. There's no mistaking it.
I do love Teddy, though... he's so handsome!!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
all those brown kitties are gorgeous!! I love the Havanas especially but then I love all the oriental breeds

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Godiva

Proof? I have proof!! I am a Burmese's slave.

There are several breeds that can become chocolate. The Burmese (it's called sable or champagne, depending on the depth of the brown), the Havana Brown (an oriental-looking cat, long and lanky), the Tonkinese, and some other breeds accept the color as a bicolor or solid, but it's rare.

Some Burmese come in many colors, others only in sable, depending on the association. Havana Browns are only brown. Tonkinese come in many colors in general.

Here's some pics!!

A champagne Burmese.

Sable Burmese.

Godiva, my sable Burmese.

She looks like a little pit bull here...

I hope that helps! I love chocolate cats.
Godiva is beautiful!

raffa gibbard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We tried to get her but she was adopted immediately

Last edited by a moderator:

joerauh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd say about 6 months is right.  His mom was a feral tuxedo, and dad was probably a Japanese feral.  After seeing Rusty for the first time when he was about 2 months old, I brought him in the house.  Since then he has been the lovingest cat.  He's the first brown cat I've ever seen too.    He was red when he was born, but turned brown slowly from there.  He has a lighter under-fir.  JoeR