Brought My Old Feral Inside. Could Use Dental Advice For An Fiv Cat.

mattforty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well after about 4 years of taking care of this FIV+ sump cat by the train station where I'd get the train back from work, he finally lives in my house. The winter got tough for him so I basically stuffed him in a trap, hes about 8 at this point with very few teeth. He was set up in a big enclosure in the garage for a while, and took to it so well I couldn't in good conscience let him back outside. Picture from a couple years ago:

He's living in a big german shepherd crate with a big playpen around it now in the house, and suprisingly behaving really well. At this point taking him to a vet isn't really an option, he seems healthy and he's behaving because he really bonded with me, but he's basically an 8 year old feral who sees me as a companion cat at this point.

Here he is today:

Been giving him dental treats, I can clean his ears and eyes but he doesn't like his mouth messed with. He lost most of his teeth years ago. Wondering if anyone has any advice on what I can give him to help with the dental situation, He doesn't have any noticeable issues with his mouth at this point but his breath is pretty bad. The only thing im worried about at this point is mouth issues with the fiv.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for taking in this sweet sweet soul. You will make his life just wonderful.
I really would do my best to get him to a vet. Cats that are FIV+ do tend to have dental issues. He could be in a lot of pain. The longer you wait, the more expensive it may get.

I would call around to find a dentist that will work with him. When I have taken my feral cats to the vet some do need to be sedated.

There is very little you can do for home care until you know exactly what you are dealing with. I know some FIV+ kitties, lose all of their teeth. This may be an option for him. He would be able to manage just fine by eating only wet food.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try to get him in for a check on that mouth. He may have gum infections if there aren't many teeth left. It might just be a good idea to get him sedated and clean him up, get whatever teeth he has left out, and get him some antibiotics for the infections. I had an FIV stray I found back in college and a very unhelpful vet and if I could go back, knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have put him down instead of the dental extractions.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had an outdoor feral FIV cat ( that I did not know had FIV until it was very advanced and he was very ill). He was in extreme pain from infected teeth, and had stopped eating. Tooth pain is very difficult for cats to handle. Please get your kitty to a vet. They will give him anesthesia, remove any infected teeth, and give him an antibiotic shot. He can live many more years if you keep him indoors. It's wonderful that you've socialized him and that he is content to finally have a home.