Brought kittens home! Some observations already...

chickpea616

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey folks, so we brought the 2 new kittens home today, and they are chilling and playing in the bedroom upstairs. It seems like it's going ok - various family members taking turns and visiting, etc. Resident cats seem slightly weirded out, but nothing too bad (I hope). So I have some questions/observations and was looking for what you thought.

1) once they were here for about 30 minutes, I tried to feed them some wet food, but they would have none of it. I also put some dry food down but haven't seen them eat it. I'm sure I'm just being paranoid, but I really thought they would lunge for the wet food! They just turned their noses up at it and moved on. Also, how long do you/can you leave wet food out before you have to clean it up?

2) One resident cat seems just regular and chill, not too interested, etc. The other (the "queen" of the household), is a little bit more hiss-y than usual. I'm sure it's just adjustment stuff, but.....normal?

3) also, one of the new kittens starts panting (kinda like a dog) when she exerts herself too much. Is that normal?

4) one of the new kittens seems to be meowing constantly....is she scared? Should we just let them be and not be in and out of there so much. At the shelter, they were SUPER friendly and cuddly (just a bit of background)

I plan on going shopping tomorrow and getting some Feliway to put into the bedroom, as well as around the house to keep everyone calm. I notice there are 2 different kinds - Classic and Multi-cat. Which one do you think I should get? Also, I was reading that at one time that was a fire hazard? Is there something other than Feliway that people use? I don't want to do the collar - but perhaps the spray?

Ugh - I remember this feeling from last time. I definitely have the "what did we just do?" , even though I know it's gonna work itself out eventually.

thanks for listening...thoughts?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
#2 yes #3 no, #4 yes.

Try mixing Kitten Milk Replacer in the wet food. Wet food can be left out for several hours, depending on how hot the room is.

Also try a heartbeat toy, or a muffled ticking clock for the scared baby and a gently warmed snuggle sock filled with dry rice or beans, or low volume classical harp music.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

chickpea616

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For #3, I was going by what my daughter observed and didn't see it first hand. I asked her about it just now and it sounds like she was just "open mouth" breathing after a play session. Does that change the way you answered?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Take a look at these;

Only Natural Pet has a calming product called Just Relax Calming spray with essential oil (catnip oil).

There's this one, be sure and scroll all the way down the page;
Bach Flower Remedies - Rescue Remedy Pets Dogs Cats Horses Birds

Richard's Organics Pet Calm-this one is drops that you put on the tip of the tongue. Also, HomeoPet Anxiety Relief, Head to Tail Calming, Relaxivet Quiet Moments Cat treats, GNC Calming formula, and there is Calm-o-mile, Sentry calming collar, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy - UK (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-eze, Pet Organics No Stress, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has other calming products, Pet Naturals also has one I believe, and there are others.

Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course chewy, also there's Petwishpros, animaleo, 1-800-petmeds, Petco and PetSmart, and other pet stores.

There is also a product called a lickimat which could be helpful, as cats can be calmed by the process of licking. The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats

This post talks about some other products;
Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think it does change my thinking, maybe just keep an eye on that baby, and play a little less hard and stop play a little sooner :)

chickpea616

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much! It’s crazy, you’d think with 2 cats already I would be fine; nope! I feel like a first-timer with this! LOL

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens in a new place may feel a little stressed or distracted. Once they settle in usually within a few hours they may be more interested in eating. I would leave both wet and dry out and they will more than likely eat by morning.

Newly adopted kittens meowing or wailing a lot is also normal. They are tired, and they are in an unfamiliar place. One of my kittens cried for 24 hours straight but usually it’s for a much shorter time. Sometimes they cry more when they are sleepy and picking them up and stroking their noses or letting them snuggle by your neck helps them drift off to sleep. Hopefully you have a cat bed where the two can sleep and take comfort from one another.

I wouldn’t worry about the panting or mouth breathing after hard play, it is pretty common but be sure to mention it to your vet.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens may be too stressed or/and too excited to eat yet, I wouldn’t worry about this after few hours. Do you give them the same food they’ve been given at the shelter? Did they use the litter box just fine? I know it’s exciting for your family but I would give them some more time to adjust before introducing more human strangers.
Panting is probably nothing unless it’s not- you can mention that to the vet, and maybe count the number of breaths she’s taking when deeply asleep. But most probably it’s just combination of effort and excitement.
Enjoy them!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have Petco the comfort zone, similar to feliway is buy one get one free. Get it for multi cat, one in each room. It does get hot so keep watch on it. So far it has worked.. It is very normal for a kitten to pant after vigorous play. You might want to get the catmate for water. My cat Peaches does not like fish or meat. Chicke,turkey mostly.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, my cats Peaches and Coco like pate. Maggie likes pieces of meat so I mix in some miko. For pate, Maggie and Coco will not eat it mushed down. Coco does not like shredded chicken. She has trouble eating it. She is 6 yrs old and has a small mouth and only slightly rough toungh. May be why. She can eat pate in one big piece. I guess because Peaches was rescued 5 weeks old, she mostly llicks her food

chickpea616

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ah ok - more good info! Yes, I tried the same food (or very similar) they had at the shelter, and so far I believe both of them have at least had some water. Still no food....but it's only been a handful of hours. The one that I thought was going to be the crazy, outgoing one, got scared by something in the bedroom (I think it's the ceiling fan, actually) and is staying under the bed (but playing with my husband's hand from under there, it's so cute)

I guess I'm going to have to just learn their preferences as far as food goes - and let us all chill out a bit overnight. I will be going to Petco tomorrow for a few things I'm lacking here and I will check out the calming products.

Both resident cats seem to be winding down for our evening routine so that's a good sign.

Everyone here at this site is awesome, by the way. I keep on thinking I'm gonna get kicked out for too many questions and too much rambling, but nope! And people keep answering, so that's a plus. LOL

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How exciting the kittens are home! My Katrina was very talkative when I brought her home, mostly because she wanted me to pet and pick her up. She is much more quiet now a few months in and only meows occasionally.

And for one of your cats hissy, definitely normal. My girl hissed at me when I went to pet her the first night the kittens were home, maybe because she smelled their scent on my hands. She stopped hissing within a day or two, atleast at the door separating them and at me.