Brothers?

fluffy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 2 young cats. See pics below. One is medium haired the other short haired. They have different color eyes as well. We think they *might* be brothers as we think they are the same age and we know that fluffy's mama for sure has had numerous litters and kittens and one was a Tuxedo but he was medium haired. Is there a blood testv to find out if they are brothers?Is it ver $$$? I know where Fluffy is from but Socks is a mystery as he was a beautiful loving stray which no one claimed after calling the SPCA and putting up signs. TIA

annabelle33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm very interested in this too because my cat has been hanging out with this other cat and we just assume that they are brothers since they were both feral and have similar characteristics, but I would love to find out for sure.

elizabeth a.

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm going to have to do a bit of research on this one. If there is a DNA test, I expect it would be quite expensive, but I'll look into this and get back to you. Have you tried a web search for cat DNA testing?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fluffy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've only looked briefly around. From what i've told you is there a *possiblity* they could be brothers?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fluffy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bumping to see if you've found out anymore about this

elizabeth a.

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nothing yet, but I haven't forgotten the question!
I know the National Cancer Institute in Maryland is hard at work on the Cat Genome Project and they do DNA tests for police departments at times, but I don't know if they have a commercial lab.
The other possibilities I know of are the Vet Schools at U Penn. and UC Davis as they do both have testing labs, and I'm pretty sure one or both does feline DNA testing commercially.
I'll let you know if I discover anything more concrete for you!