Brother and sister cat mating.....

memo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

My friend he have a cats male and female (same mother and father ) in same litter recently they mating , and the female itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s pregnant , it will get healthy kitten , the kitten will be ok in this case ???!!!

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. The kittens will be fine.. it takes generates of inbreeding before you notice a difference.

But it's best that they get her in and get her spayed right away. They may be able to terminate the pregnancy if it's still early. If not, then be sure to get her spayed once the kittens are weaned, and the males of course neutered.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe, maybe not. Brother/sister mating can and do produce deformities or unhealthy kittens. They will be lucky if the kittens are ok. High case they will not be.

I do hope they have gotten the male neutered because if not, he can and will mate with her the first chance he gets after she has the kittens!

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen at least a dozen sibling breedings, and all of the kittens have turned out fine.

But they DO need to be altered anyhow.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Inbreeding is not a good idea nless you absolutely know what you are ding, even then it is not a good idea. Just because it may turn out right doesn't mean it is. I would spay the female now before she gets too far along. And neuter the male immediately.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally find it horrible that someone would keep directly related cats and allow them to mate. In natural circumstances, that is not likely to happen. But to raise siblings together and let them mate...totally irresponsible!

My sis-in-law used to keep multiple cats locked in her house, and keep kittens. I don't know how many generations they were inbred, but she had some weird kittens. One had something deformed about its eyes. One was so tiny it was not able to get pregnant (thankfully!). And she lost a lot of kittens.

I would also suggest that the pregnant cat be spayed. Depending on the genetics, there could be problems. Any weaknesses would be magnified.

ms_joshica

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, I do undersand that MISTAKES may happen, and sometimes as it is we can't help ALL mistakes so I am not here to bash you about responsibility and the likes, but I would encourage spaying and nuetering the cats, ALL of them, after the litter is born. I would also encourage finding different homes for them if you decide NOT to spay during pregnancy. There is nothing stopping the male from being neutered right now and then if keep them seperated for the period of time that is needed for all left overs to be gone. Whether you desire to spay her or not is up to you, but I wouldn't hesitate to do the male now and def. spay her when the kits are born.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ms_joshica

Well, I do undersand that MISTAKES may happen, and sometimes as it is we can't help ALL mistakes so I am not here to bash you about responsibility and the likes, but I would encourage spaying and nuetering the cats, ALL of them, after the litter is born. I would also encourage finding different homes for them if you decide NOT to spay during pregnancy. There is nothing stopping the male from being neutered right now and then if keep them seperated for the period of time that is needed for all left overs to be gone. Whether you desire to spay her or not is up to you, but I wouldn't hesitate to do the male now and def. spay her when the kits are born.
I think there are two problems...first, it is a friend of the op who is allowing siblings to mate. Second, they live in Dubai, so it isn't like the US where there is lots of pressure to spay and neuter.

Hopefully Memo can be a good influence on them, so they WILL get the kits fixed!

angeh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hate how people can be so judgmental, things happen sometimes and it should be ok for someone to ask for advice. I recently just bought 2 sibling cats from a shelter, where they both had been given immunizations and examined by a vet, who said they were both female. Well, it turns out one is a boy. It was within days that we cold tell he was definitely a boy that he started going after his sister. It has taken me two weeks to get appointment scheduled to get them fixed because it just so happened to be during Christmas time, and no appointments were available. We are waiting to get them both fixed now. The boy was going after her for a couple days but she would swat at him (idk if they mated) but he hasn't bothered her at all since the first couple days. Do you think she is already pregnant, or did he just get the hint? I don't even know if she actually went into heat. IDK I just hate the idea of aborting kittens, incest bred or not.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I've had a similar problem with the feral kittens I've been caring for this year. I got all the female kittens fixed first of all and I'm getting the males fixed now. (One done already, two being done tomorrow, another two on Friday) Even though the girls are fixed the boys are trying to mate with them and even with each other. It's just their instinct I guess.

It's usually pretty obvious if a female comes into heat and it usually takes a few aggressive attempts at mating from the male before she will come on heat. I'd say you've probably been lucky so far but get them both done as soon as possible. The male kittens going to be pumped full of testosterone for a while, but if you get him done soon he'll stop bothering his sister and hopefully won't start spraying your house.

Maybe find another vet though? I'd be kind of worried if my vet couldn't tell a boy kitten from a girl. 

angeh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It was the shelter vet who told me they were both female. I won't be taking them there again lol. The funny thing is I thought from looking, even when he was just a little kit, that he looked like a boy but stupidly I trusted the vet. The baby girl is getting fixed in a couple days and the male shortly after. 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's good.

I've just been to pick two of my boys up from the vet. They both look quite chilly with their little shaved butts.

Now they're chasing each other around the house as usual and don't seem to notice that anything has changed.

ghosts mommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have seen many kittens born ti sibling cats and never so far (thank goodness) died or were deformed.Anyway, cats canhave multiple fathers to their kittensso if they're littermates there's no telling if the parents are both the same if they have both fathersor rather both the same fathers so try to get them fixed and if it happens be careful best of luck everyone

gia g

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well one of my cats were born from a brother and sister cat mating and he has a small head. sometimes they can even lose legs and there tail. 

savannahvaughan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I personally find it horrible that someone would keep directly related cats and allow them to mate. In natural circumstances, that is not likely to happen. But to raise siblings together and let them mate...totally irresponsible!

My sis-in-law used to keep multiple cats locked in her house, and keep kittens. I don't know how many generations they were inbred, but she had some weird kittens. One had something deformed about its eyes. One was so tiny it was not able to get pregnant (thankfully!). And she lost a lot of kittens.

I would also suggest that the pregnant cat be spayed. Depending on the genetics, there could be problems. Any weaknesses would be magnified.
can the sister breed with the male be a good idea?

savannahvaughan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

That's good.

I've just been to pick two of my boys up from the vet. They both look quite chilly with their little shaved butts.

Now they're chasing each other around the house as usual and don't seem to notice that anything has changed.
That is sooo funny! chasing each other around the house. my cats do that but they are male and female.

da hoomin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
savannahvaughan  - No, it's not a good idea to let brother/sister [or any blood-related animals] mate with each other. 

I'm just shaking my head at the vet who couldn't sex kittens who were old enough to be adopted! 

My son and I had a herd of hamsters years ago and even WE could correctly sex them when they were only a couple of days old . . . 

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
can the sister breed with the male be a good idea?
No, this is not healthy. They both should be spayed and neutered. Having a breeding pair in the house is not happy or healthy for you or the cats.

Do you need help finding a low cost spay / neuter clinic?