Broken Leg

Papatuzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone.

I've been feeding some feral cats. I'm thinking there's about 15 of them. They come and go throughout the day and night. There's a house across the street from us that is only used for storage now. It's uninhabitable. The crawl space is wide open. In other words, every place there should be a vent or something, it's just wide open. The roof of the left side of the porch is caving in and the right side has a ton of moss growing on it. There are holes in the wall just beneath the roof of the porch and I've seen cats go in there so some are living in the attic. Some come from down the street. Two are siblings. Their mother was killed by a car a few years ago and the kittens disappeared. There were 4 of them. Two have returned. They're both white. One has long hair and the other short hair. I call the long haired one Fluffy and the short haired one Homie, or Home Boy. I started putting food out around a month ago. It was shortly after that I realized there were many many more than just those two. All the cats run away when I get roughly 30 or 40 feet from the porch, except Homie.

Homie was the first cat I started feeding. He'd run away all the time. One day I was heading to the house with a few paper bowls of hard food and I spotted him between the neighbors houses. He was running real fast and as I got to the porch he went under the porch on the far side. I walked across the street and turned around and he had come out from under the porch and was looking at me. I yelled that there was food on the porch and to go eat. hehe. I talk to all the cats. I think my 3 understand me. Anyway, he looked up at the porch, jumped on it and started eating. Over the course of the next couple of weeks he let me get closer and closer before running. First he would sit on the far side and when I reached to put the food on the porch, he'd jump down and go under it. Then he'd be near the door and just watch me set the food down and when I left, he'd go eat. I decided to give him some soft food. He was about 4 feet from my side of the porch. As I set the food down he came right next to me and jumped off the porch and went under it. Long story so I'll cut to the chase.

The last 4 or 5 days he comes to me, even across the street to my garage. He rubs on me and I pet him. He brought Fluffy a few days ago but Fluffy ended up running away and Homie ate the food. I put 2 bowls out that time. Yesterday, I saw Homie on the porch so I got some hard food and some soft food and walked over there. He usually comes off the porch and comes by me and then walks with me back to the porch to eat. This time he just sat there. When I got closer I started talking to him and he meowed a couple of times, but I didn't hear anything. When I was at the porch he got up and came to me limping. His right front leg was the problem. I didn't notice anything as he crouched down to eat, so I scratched his neck and walked back home. A few hours later I saw him on the porch again and went over with some soft food. This time when he limped over to me I touched his leg. He stood there looking at me and I could see a bulge about halfway up his leg. I rubbed it but I didn't want to hurt him and he still may bite me so I rubbed softly. Due to the bulge I'm sure it's broken. There's NO WAY I can afford to take him to the vet. Even if I could, I highly doubt I could get him in the carrier and even if I could do that, I don't think he'd be a happy camper at the vet. I hate the fact that I can't afford to take him, but I hate to see him suffer and be in pain. I'd like to at least ease his pain while his leg heals. Is there anything I can make or buy to ease his pain? I live in a very small town and the shelter here would NOT fix his leg. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Call a vet's office - several if you have to - and find out what connections they have to a place that will take Homie in and treat him. I don't know where you are located, but there might even be a local SPCA to contact. You are close enough to him to capture him in a blanket to get him somewhere. You may not even have to do that yourself depending on what you can find out from some of the local vets. If you have rescue shelters/centers, call them too. Vet universities are another option. Local humane society.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Papatuzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Call a vet's office - several if you have to - and find out what connections they have to a place that will take Homie in and treat him. I don't know where you are located, but there might even be a local SPCA to contact. You are close enough to him to capture him in a blanket to get him somewhere. You may not even have to do that yourself depending on what you can find out from some of the local vets. If you have rescue shelters/centers, call them too. Vet universities are another option. Local humane society.
I live in Marion, Ky. now. Maybe 3,000 people. With today being the 1st, I'll call the good vet tomorrow. There are 2 vets here but 1 only wants your money.

Papatuzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you get to talk to the "good" vet's office today? If Homie is already changing his pattern of appearances the last thing you need is that he disappears. Let me suggest that you bring him in and sequester him in a bathroom or some similar confined place until such time as you can get him to a vet. He'll probably need to be confined while he heals.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Did you get to talk to the "good" vet's office today? If Homie is already changing his pattern of appearances the last thing you need is that he disappears. Let me suggest that you bring him in and sequester him in a bathroom or some similar confined place until such time as you can get him to a vet. He'll probably need to be confined while he heals.
Good thinking. Also, by limiting Homie’s movement before the vet visit, there’s less of a chance that he will injure his leg further.

Papatuzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your help and concern. I could have confined him in my garage. About a year ago I built a little space under one of the work tables. There's a big compartment with a litter box on the floor and a shelf to the right of that where I put food and water. I have attached a picture of it. I also attached pictures of the trap I built and the cage I transfer the cats into after I trap them. The cage and trap are larger than they look because I wanted the cats to be comfortable. I have since changed the door on the transfer cage from a swing out, to a sliding up and down door. In the apartment, I have a sliding door I can put in between the side sleeping area to confine them and a sliding door for the front. So a place to keep him confined, wouldn't have been a problem.

I called the vet yesterday and he wasn't in yet but the lady said she was pretty sure if I was able to get him there, being a feral, she was sure the doctor would take a look at him. I hadn't seen him yet. My 89 year old mother came out of her room and said she didn't feel right so I took her to the doctor. We were there for hours and then at the hospital for a good while to get some tests run. We haven't heard anything on the results so that's a good sign. We got home a little after 6pm and still no Homie. There were others so I made sure there was food for them. They all ran away but they came back after I left.

Today I had to go to the City building to renew my business license. It was about 3pm and Homie still hadn't come around. At the end of our back street I turned left onto Maple and saw him laying by the curb. I stopped the car and got out. It was him. I don't know if he got hit by a car or what, but he was gone. MY HEART BROKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He wouldn't start eating till I scratched his neck and loved on him for a little bit. Now he's gone.

Again I appreciate the concern and help. It'll help for the next time if there ever is one. The only good thing is Homie made a friend and spent the last weeks of his life not having to worry about where his next meal was going to come from. I attached a picture of him. It's the only one I ever took. God rest his little soul.
Home Boy  Homie.jpg
Cat apartment.jpg
Home Boy  Homie.jpg
Cat apartment.jpg
Cat trap.jpg
Cat transfer cage.jpg

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im sorry, homie is gone and for your loss.

You did bring some hope and love into his difficult life.

Im certain your affection and food gave him comfort and was the highlight of his day.

Im glad you have a pic of him.

Perhaps his partner fluffy will show up and the two of you might share something special.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I"m sorry, but glad that you were able to make sure his last days didn't include the fear of starving and being alone. Until the moment he crossed over and afterward, he knew you were there for him, giving him more than anyone other than his mother gave him. She too must be grateful for what you did for him. Now they are both watching over you.

Papatuzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all. I'm still trying to befriend Fluffy. I got a little closer to him today before he ran. I made a small box out of plywood and put some towels in it and buried Homie in my side yard. I couldn't just leave him laying in the street. I didn't cry, but it was hard to see a few times. God forbid one of my cats passes. Anyway, thanks again.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Bless you for giving Homie a nice place for him to rest in peace, and to be near to you, both in spirit and in soul.

If you so should choose, you can start a new thread to keep us posted on Fluffy. You can also post under Crossing the Bridge section if you wish to pay homage to Homie.

Papatuzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bless you for giving Homie a nice place for him to rest in peace, and to be near to you, both in spirit and in soul.

If you so should choose, you can start a new thread to keep us posted on Fluffy. You can also post under Crossing the Bridge section if you wish to pay homage to Homie.
Thanks. I'll do that when I get some time. I saw the garage light on last night so I went outside and threw some kisses and this new little guy came running to me. Very friendly. We'll see if he comes back.