Broken glass and have no idea if my cat ate it or will eat it.

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today I open the dishwasher and found a broken wine glass. I put it together to make sure no missing pieces and of course a large piece of at least 2 inch long and 1 inch wide was missing. I looked everywhere. I CANT FIND IT. I don't know if it got shredded in the dishwasher or its on the floor. I'm freaking out if my cat will find it and eat it. Sometimes I leave my dishes in the dishwasher because i'm lazy so I don't know if it was carried over to one of his dishes and ate it in the past week. Its driving me nuts if its somewhere. I vacuumed everywhere and cant see it in the vacuum. My cat doesn't eat non food items but my fear is it was in his dish bowl after taking it out of the dishwasher and ate it without knowing. I know no one can possibly tell me but i'm just venting. Its just bothering me that i cant find it. It has to be somewhere. I even cut myself with a tiny sand piece of glass when taking it out so those are completely invisible and don.t know if there on my counter. But those cant be dangerous right? Small tiny sand like pieces.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
She wont eat but may step on it. I have an ultra violet light that will spot any loose pieces. I bought to check for pee. I no longer have glass, my dishes are plastic though you cant tell. Very nice. I dropped one and nothing splattered!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She wont eat but may step on it. I have an ultra violet light that will spot any loose pieces. I bought to check for pee. I no longer have glass, my dishes are plastic though you cant tell. Very nice. I dropped one and nothing splattered!
ultraviolet picks up glass???????? The answer to my prayers

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just curious what color does it shine? Based a simple google search its Green?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
They are by Corelle
20200515_113028.jpg

ultraviolet picks up glass???????? The answer to my prayers
Amazon.com : Stink Free Stink-Finder Super Bright Combo Instantly 8 oz Urine Odor Remover : Basic Handheld Flashlights : Pet Supplies

I haven't used it for 3 yrs so dont remember. The room has to be totally dark. I got the same one at Petco. It did spot the urine

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Mine glowed a sort of purple, I think, but again it has been years and I no longer have any carpeting. I see your point about the piece ending up in the cat's dish, but I wonder if it cracked in the dishwasher, which I have also had happen, and that it got churned out through its disposer system. I suppose another way would be to try to find out if the dishwasher could handle a piece of glass that size.

Corelle is one of the safest dishwares around from every point of view.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Check the drain trap in the dishwasher. The broken glass might be in there. The trap is at the bottom of the machine and there may be a slotted cap over it that unscrews off. There'll be a removable basket inside the trap you can take out and clean.

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine glowed a sort of purple, I think, but again it has been years and I no longer have any carpeting. I see your point about the piece ending up in the cat's dish, but I wonder if it cracked in the dishwasher, which I have also had happen, and that it got churned out through its disposer system. I suppose another way would be to try to find out if the dishwasher could handle a piece of glass that size.

Corelle is one of the safest dishwares around from every point of view.
yeah i need to check. It was a wine glass. Super thin glass. A matter of fact when i took the glass out and threw it out I had a sand type of glass on my finger that cut me. Tiny tiny particle type of glass. Just two pieces. I just worry that somewhere on floor and hes rolling around in it. I did vacuum. At the end of the day this stuff happens. I ordered a black light

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Check the drain trap in the dishwasher. The broken glass might be in there. The trap is at the bottom of the machine and there may be a slotted cap over it that unscrews off. There'll be a removable basket inside the trap you can take out and clean.
thanks ill check that

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat pushed a bottle down the kitchen counter on last Sunday. While I was busy cleaning the mess and picking up all the thousands tiny pieces of glass that were all over, I realized that kitty was chewing on something. I ran to her, which in turn ran away with what she had in her mouth. Eventually I grabbed her and made her spit it, it was a sliver of glass, not too big, the right size to be easily turned into her mouth and swallowed!!!
Thanks God!

In the next morning I happened to call her vet for a different reason, and I told him what happened.
He told me that pieces of glass do not harm pets' bowel. His own cat swallowed pieces of glass on a couple of occasions, and nothing happened.
I don't know if it's true, I just wanted to tell you what I was told.