British shorthair gene modifier?

Britishcatlove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm hoping someone knowledgeable in cat genetics cat help me. I have a British shorthair golden kitten that is not typical. It is black golden but does not have the black around the nose leather, eye rims, lips, or paw pads.

I found a post on Facebook speaking about a gene modifier in the golden series British shorthairs and Scottish folds. It said WCF was investigating and may recognize this new color possibly called "golden flaxen".

I'm hoping someone might help provide more information. Thank you!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This might have something to help you although it's possibly more general than you were looking for, from member posiepurrs

Try this link, it may help answer some questions. https://cfa.org/basic-feline-genetics/
Books can offer help too. Here is one that dives deep into the subject : Robinson's Genetics for Cat Breeders and Veterinarians.

LPW

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it possible for you to share a photo of your cat? You find the report here: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/age.13228 and you can also DNA-test for copper. I write copper as that is what we have called this phenotype for several years. WCF was very keen on inventing their own name and flaxen is the pale areas in these cats. The same type of paleness is in other breeds such as Bengals and there are also British completely in that pale shade from two golden parents.

LPW

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here is a link to the dna-test: https://www.laboklin.co.uk/laboklin/showGeneticTest.jsp?testID=8522 but please share a photo of your cat and I may be able to help you out regarding the colour. I should perhaps mention that I helped Dr. Marie Abitbol a little during her research and I have been, in different ways, "involved" in this golden phenotype in British during the last 5 years (at least).

LPW

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Super! That's what I was looking for! Thank you for sharing this article and for your contributions to further the breed and type.
I would love to know what you think about this kittens color. Thank you.
Would you mind sharing also the pedigree? Copper are usually warmer or more red than golden and then there is depigmentation, just above the nose, on the chest, on the stomach and the most striking is usually the toes. From what I have seen, there is very little or no fur in the genetic colour (black in this case) on the paws and Pawpeds are sometimes like on this little cutie. I am little bit unsure about the toes in this case but also the cats I know have been tested for copper and which have been cop/cop are all very clear ones - you cannot mistake them for golden. In this case I think I would have submitted DNA to be on the safe side.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Britishcatlove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes. I will send you a message with the pedigrees. I am grateful for the knowledge. Thank you for your help with this unusual guy! It might take some time as I live in the US, but I will submit a sample to test for copper, just to see. Thanks again!

Attachments