British Shorthair diet/food

nightflower

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm a new owner of a British Shorthair kitten. I was just wondering what do other BSH owners feed
theirs or if anyone has any food recommendation? Right now I am feeding RC BSH kitten.
I have heard/read so many mixed saying about RC being a good and actually a not so good brand
so I am confused. Any good wet food recommendation and if boiled or raw chicken is better?
Right now I am feeding him one pouch of wet food per day. I used to give him some boiled chicken
during morning and evening but it causes him to get an upset stomach. The same with wet food
actually. Anymore than one pouch per day will cause an upset stomach. Tried fish but he doesn't like.

So yes, food is a little difficult with me. Any help or tips is appreciated.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
This site is good for ingredients and protein fat carbs. Catfooddb.com
Rc is high carb, not healthy for a cat or kitten. If you serve boiled or raw chicken cats need vitamins,Taurine etc. Not just chicken. Canned they also get much needed moisture

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Raw or plain cooked chicken are fine if limited to treats and no more than 10% of the diet.

Royal Canin isn't a good brand, at least not here in the US. It may be the only "good" brand sold in other countries. Are there other brands of food sold in your country?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Breed specific foods are just gimmicks. The only reason for a specialized food is a health condition such as food sensitivity or diabetes.

Find a canned food your cat likes and rotate the flavors so she doesn't get bored and can be accustomed to change.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nightflower

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Raw or plain cooked chicken are fine if limited to treats and no more than 10% of the diet.

Royal Canin isn't a good brand, at least not here in the US. It may be the only "good" brand sold in other countries. Are there other brands of food sold in your country?
Yeah, I'm from Asia and most pets owner thinks/praise Royal Canin brand. They are also one of the higher price
brand here so people assume it is high quality. The choices for pet food brand here are pretty limited compare to
the US especially.

Here we have Hills, IAMS, Purina as the commonly found brands. There is one pet shop that
carries Primal and Instinct brand. To be honest my knowledge about cat nutrition is pretty much zero.
The infos that I read online just confuses me even more with some site saying different things.
I read on the BSH site that fat should be low. How low should it be for cats in general anyway...
since I am worried if it is too low then it won't be good too.

Sorry for the many question. I'm just really bad at this kind of things :sweat:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
It just confusing. I have a mixture of canned. Some low fat high protein, others high fat low protein so I alternate days.
Nutro perfect portions,hound& gatos,tiki after dark, earthborn chicken,fancy feast turrkey&giblets. All cats need fat and protein which is why I alternate. No fish or carrageenan

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Instinct and primal are good brands. Primal has bone so water must be added to it and not give every day. One of my cats got constipation from it. The high carb in hills and rc are from starches. I try to avoid anything with high carb. Cats do not need that much

Last edited:

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I lived in China for a few years with my family and my cat. I totally understand how you feel, as I was also recommended Royal Canin by a friend of my dad's cus that's what he feeds his pure breed show cats. Back then I didn't know anything about cat food so I fed it to him as well.

If you're from China or can understand Chinese, there is a great cat nutrition wechat account that has really good info about cat nutrition. Their main focus is raw, but they also post lots of articles about wet and dry cat food ingredients, and what to look for or watch out for. Otherwise if not, a general simple rule is to feed as little carbohydrate as possible, especially non-animal ingredients like vegetables, fruits, beans, grains, etc. Ideally you want something with mostly if not all animal based ingredients in the first 3-5 listed ingredients. Wet food is better than dry because cats don't really have a thirst drive to drink plain water.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nightflower

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not from China or understand Chinese. For now I'll try to see if my local pet store
can sell Instinct. Thanks for all the answers and advice :)