British Short Hairs And Scottish Folds.

Peacefulpearl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,

I have a female British short hair that I adopted from someone's family. after doing some research in animal selling accounts, I found that when she was younger, she was being sold and described as " Scottish" , so I am assuming they knew what her parents were, and possibly could have had a Scottish parent. her ears are straight though, so I don't know if she's a Scottish straight or a British short hair. the thing is, she recently had kittens from a British short hair, and I think one of the babies could possibly have folded ears. what are the odds if she was a Scottish straight, of having kittens with folded ears? or being British bred with British? could there be a possibility? thanks! :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
British are often used as outcross with folds.
So some lines of bs may prob be pretty intertwingled.

Among folds all lines are intertwingled of course as you cant use foldxfold...

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
British Shorthair (and American Shorthair) is an allowable outcross for Scottish Folds, per the CFA breed standard. What confuses me, though, is that the gene Fd, which codes for the folded ears in Scottish Folds is dominant. Thus, in order for a kitten to have folded ears, one of the parents would also need to have folded ears. It's not a recessive gene that can hide for generations. Are you sure that the father is a British Shorthair? Female cats can mate with multiple males while in heat. How old are the kittens?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Peacefulpearl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, she only mated with my cousin's british, or maybe he could be scottish straight? Kittens are 20 days today

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Peacefulpearl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is one of the kittens that i feel his ears are folded, this was yesterday so 19 days old, what do you think? Do british short hairs look like this at this age?
IMG_9903.PNG