British Short Hair or British Long Hair or Burmese?

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Soooo some time in the future years I plan on adopting another cat, either a British long hair or short hair. And I'm torn between which one. I have no stigma against brushing or shedding, but I was really wondering is there a definite temperament difference between the two?
Sort of like people claim the exotic short hair has a different temperament than a Persian.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, oh and I'm also torn between a Burmese. I think there's something magical about their little faces.
I do plan to have dogs, and I plan to have children someday- if that matters much.
Thanks in advance [emoji]128522[/emoji]

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry you haven't gotten any replies before now and I wish I knew the answer to your questions.   Hopefully someone with more experience in these matters will see this post soon and weigh in with some helpful information.  In the meantime, do you know what kind of temperament you are looking for?   Once you have identified that, if you are willing to adopt an adult, you can make a better match regardless of breed or appearance.   Regardless of whether you adopt from a breeder or rescue group, the original owner or foster parent should be able to help guide you towards the right cat for you.  

britishlove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dear friend i have a British shorthair kitten..is the best that i could ever have..Highly recommend this breed..They are good with all people children and other animals:p_

pusheen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Depending on the breed to tell you about a cat's temperament will, at some point, fail. Even within a breed cats can have wildly different temperaments and personalities. Go see the cat, find out about them, and then adopt.

ravynwriter

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A British longhair is literally a British Shorthair, just with an expression of the longhair gene that was introduced back at the turn of the century when Persians were crossed in to help save and re-standardize the breed. In every other way than coat length, the two are identical.

Personally, I would recommend the shorthair, but that's just my personal preference- not a huge fan of long coats on my cats.

You get personality exceptions in every breed of course but in general, British Short- and Longhairs are very sweet and personable, confident without being pushy, get along with people and other animals very well, tend to be a fairly quiet breed, one that doesn't much like being carried but will follow you absolutely everywhere, and that never stops purring. 

It is my absolute favorite breed and to me, is an ideal representation of what I think when I think of the quintessential 'cat'. But of course, everyone has a different idea of what that is and YMMV.