Bringing My Cat In For Ultrasound Tomorrow. Fiv And Possible Cancer

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some of you may have followed my moggy's journey with anorexia (two weeks tomorrow) and onion poisoning. Tomorrow, we'll bring him in for an ultrasound because my vet says that at his age (he's 12), they cannot rule out the big C. I'm hoping and praying it isn't, but does anyone have any cats with cancer that survived long term?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Is there something that the vet has seen with your baby that's causing this action on his/her part, other than the anorexia? It sounds to me the ultrasound is being done in an abundance of caution?

To answer your question, there have been members with kitties that have survived. It may depend on the type and/or location, how early it was caught, that sort of thing.

Hang in there!! I'm sending you all sorts of good thoughts, and hopefully those members will see your post soon.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat survived 2 cancers out of 3.
She got the first one mid-2011, she survived, the second in early 2016, she defeated it after a heavy surgery, the third one in late 2016 took her away a few months later.
They were three different kinds of carcinoma, in different parts of her body.

What was the difference between the first two and the third one? The early diagnosis.
The vets didn't see the one that killed her. They saw it too late!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
for those of you who’ve been following my buddy’s journey with anorexia, he has been hospitalised and had a nasogastric tube put down his nose into his stomach. They also tested him for FIV, and it turns out he’s positive, which would explain why he’s having such trouble clearing the cat flu. Also, they did an ultrasound and they found some intestinal inflammation. They said it just looks like inflammation, no tumours, but they also can’t rule out a Low grade lymphoma. They don’t recommend doing any sort of biopsy now until we get his other issues under control. So this is where we’re at now, any advice or kind words would be much appreciated.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a cat with FIV who has trouble fighting off upper respiratory infections and goes through frequent bouts of inappetence to the point where he requires syringe feedings. So I understand all too well how scary and frustrating this sort of thing can be. *hugs you tight*

By the grace of God, our kitty is still hanging in there. But Buddy sure does give us a good scare every now and then!

First of all, don't let the diagnosis of FIV spook you. Many cats with FIV can live long, relatively healthy lives. But when they do get sick from an upper respiratory infection or whatnot, sometimes they can require more than one course of antibiotics to shake it off. Once we found a vet who understood that, Buddy has bounced back much better from each setback.

You might want to ask your vet if nutritional supplements might be appropriate in your cat's case to try to strengthen his immune system. They do seem to help our kitty.

Hopefully the intestinal inflammation that your vet found resolves soon. But if it is lymphoma, hopefully it was caught early enough and your kitty can make a full recovery.

Hang in there kiddo! Hope your fur baby feels better soon. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey there. First of all this isn't a death sentence! He can still live a good life within the normal lifespan range. His immune system is compromised so he should be an indoor cat only. A good diet is important for all cats but especially for a cat with FIV. I would try to get him on an all wet diet if possible. A partial wet diet is good too.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. So sorry your buddy has FIV, but as kittyluv387 kittyluv387 said it is not a death sentence. I don't know if you have already done an internet search FIV, but in case you haven't here are a couple of articles about FIV and subsequent care for your little guy.

Cats and FIV: Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments
FIV or Feline AIDS in Cats | petMD

Also, here is a link to previous threads on this site from members whose cats have FIV, just for you to see some personal experiences/perspectives.

Search Results for Query: FIV | TheCatSite

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I just thought of something else. Cats with FIV tend to have bad teeth so dentals are a must to keep them healthy! If you can manage to brush his teeth after a dental, even better.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In addition to what everyone else has already said... :)

Nutritional supplements have been a godsend for our FIV kitty. But it took a while for the vet to figure out which ones worked best for our Buddy.

The vet also recommended a probiotic in addition to a good quality wet food diet. And since stress can wreak havoc with an FIV cat's immune system, he also recommended Feliway diffusers and an OTC stress relief remedy that we can mix in with Buddy's food.

We have a few extra challenges, as Buddy also has FHV and some other health issues that are unrelated to his FIV status. But thank God, he's doing far better than we dared hope when we rescued him six years ago. :yess:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a 12 year old (estimated) indoor cat who was previously a stray. He's had no contact with any cats since he came to live with me. Is his chances of getting FIP much greater due to his FIV+ status?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We he ever tested for corona virus? If he was and it was negative, then he cannot contract FIP - as it can only mutate in cats who have the corona virus. But, if he was once a stray, it is likely - but not absolute - that he was exposed to the corona virus.

Many cats have the corona virus lie dormant in their systems all their lives and it never mutates to FIP. However, it is more likely to mutate when a cat immune system becomes weakened - generally due to old age or some other health issue. As long as you can keep your guy's immune system strong and avoid as much as possible secondary infections that can be caused by FIV, I wouldn't think there is any reason to believe he is more prone to FIP than any other cat. Is your vet considering any immune-enhancing treatments for him?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be aware that there are some vets who on finding the corona virus will tell you your cat has FIP. This is not the case. There are many many cats walking around with the corona virus, as FeebysOwner FeebysOwner said, and that's it. If a cat has the corona virus it may never mutate in FIP. Do not go into this with the thought that it will.

I made a search of the threads with FIV in the title just on this site, there are over 6 pages of them. That means there are a lot of cats living with FIV and doing pretty good. Search Results for Query: FIV | TheCatSite

Your cat is doing so much better living with you than he was as a stray. continue to make him happy, share your love with him. Every day he looks at you and remembers the life he had before and what your love has done for him. Right now he can feel your fear and worry though he probably doesn't know the cause. The more you can relax the better for both of you.

Never forget that science moves every day to make things better.