Bringing a friendly 7 m/o feral kitten inside tonight!

Birchwoods

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone, thanks for reading my first post! I'm happy to have found this resource and am looking forward to getting advice and updating you on this journey!

A little about me: I've always loved cats and was a no-kill shelter manager many years ago. My 18-year-old kitty was my office mate at the shelter before I brought him home, he's a mushy lovebug and my husband and I treasure him.

In late June, a small black cat showed up in my backyard with 3 kittens. I would see them in the yard throughout the day and got them on a morning/night feeding schedule. I contacted a shelter for help with TNR, since mama was still nursing we had to keep them together. She stopped coming around in September so I called the TNR folks back, they were booked up we couldn't trap the kittens until 11/11. We did a drop trap and got all 3, and they were released back into my yard 2 days later.

I've been interacting with the kittens since I first started feeding them - the two black ones let me get close to them when they eat, but I'm unable to pet them and usually hiss and run away. The grey one is a completely different story. He flung himself at my legs one morning in September and kept rubbing my ankles with his face. When I put his food down I started to pet him - after two days doing this he started to purr so loudly! I started sitting down on the deck to see what would happen, and he would walk around me rubbing up on me, and then he plopped down with his back against my legs. He'll show up outside of "food time" (he often sleeps in the sun near the door) and meows for me to come out and pet him.

On Thanksgiving night when I got home to feed him and his siblings, he wasn't there, and I knew something was wrong. I called for him (I named him Purrito, his brother is Sid and his sister is Obi) and I heard scared crying. I was running around with my flashlight calling him, and every time I would get a really panicked meow back - after doing this for 5 minutes I was able to pinpoint that he was in my neighbor's garage. They had gone out to get folding chairs and he must have snuck in, he climbed up to the rafters and got himself wedged between the top of a cinderblock and a beam. They helped me get up on a ladder, we were able to scoot him with a soft brush and I fit my hand in to scruff him. I expected him to freak out, but he was clinging to me and stayed in my lap on the deck for a long time. I hated going back inside, I sat with him while he ate and was petting him while he purred up a storm. When I came inside my husband was like "Yeah, I think the universe wants him to be our cat, let's get him inside." (I had mentioned a few times that Purrito seemed to want to live with us, but it took the garage incident to convinve my husband!)

So tonight is the night we bring Purrito in! I feel nervous for his brother and sister, but they seem to be thriving outside and are clear that they have no interest in me beyond their food. When I talked to someone at the TNR group they told me that if there are friendly cats in a colony many caretakers will bring them in to socialize and adopt them, but that for truly feral cats being a caretaker, spaying/neutering, and monitoring them is what helps the most. I hope that's true. Of course, I am committed to taking care of them - I have 3 heated winter shelters on the deck, a heated water bowl that they love, and a regular feeding schedule where I take pics of them and notes. (I'm going to be able to trap mama soon, I hope - she started showing up again while the kittens were at the spay/neuter clinic.)

I'm a bit anxious, and I'm prepared that Purrito will not be my buddy for a while as he gets used to things. Here's my set-up:
  • 32”(L) x 22”(W) x 49"(H) cat condo in my office room
  • Small litter box with organic potting soil
  • Small bed (which I used to pet Purrito with yesterday)
  • Food/water dishes
  • A small cave-like soft bed
  • A few small catnip toys
  • Sheets to cover the cage
I plan on it being slow going - tomorrow I'm not home so I'll make sure he has food/water in the AM but I wanted to give him time without contact to calm. On Friday I'll be working from home so I'll be in the room while he's in the cage. I have a lot of PDFs I downloaded on steps to take, so hopefully, it goes well! (I also don't plan on having him interact with my husband for a while. And I have no plans to introduce him to my cat for a long time - not until he's fully comfortable inside and I can go through a proper introduction process for them.) I'll take any tips/encouragement I can get, thanks for reading this huge post! Here are two pics! (I have a thing for gray/white kitties, but Purrito chose me!)

Purrito:
PXL_20211110_191820660_2.jpg

The king of my heart, my treasure Stonewall:
IMG_20210905_120758.jpg

The TL;DR - a 4 cat colony lives in my backyard, I TNR'd the kittens. (Working to get mama) One of the kittens is very attached to me and begs to come inside, so I'm bringing him in tonight!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I love your story....and welcome to The Cat Site! I have had this happen several times with ferals.....all I deal with are ferals and strays. Several litters have been born either on my property or nearby and the very usual scenario is that one or two may be completely able to transition to being a house pet while the remaining few may retain all their feral traits. You are absolutely doing the right thing for Purrito who apparently decided very early on that you are his person. There may even be physical reasons that some feral animals suddenly "cross over" as has been studied in Russia, but that is not going to be important to you and Purrito.

My avatar was one of a litter of four, one killed early on by a coyote. She was born feral next door to my property, of entirely feral parents, TNRed but also victims of a coyote. For some reason she began to come to the back door and would sit and look at me as I prepared their food. Slowly we moved to playing with a little plastic ball, then she came in for "cookies" occasionally, staying longer each time. Her identical sister hung out on the perimeter but seemed interested in being near my husband. The last sister remained completely feral. Now, Lily is an almost irritating lap cat, her sister who has also moved in demands hugs and kisses, and the final sister is still outside with another feral male....and to this day, and I mean today, she hissed and swatted as I put down her very nice lunch.

A litter years ago, of 5 kittens, had one boy who turned into a complete house pet and 4 who remained completely feral.

So, in short, everyone who has managed to get to your house is very lucky. Everyone is taken care of, inside or outside. You are taking the exact right strategy for Purrito and I bet he will come around very quickly. I don't know that it sounds as if you need a lot of help but remember that you can keep coming back here if you hit a bump or have questions.

Introducing Cats To Cats – TheCatSite Articles
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home – TheCatSite Articles
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Birchwoods

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both! I brought him inside yesterday around 5pm. I just got home so I brought him some fresh wet food and water, and a little kibble. He's meowing in the crate as I type from the next room over, he sounds so sad! I feel badly because I can tell he's stressed out, and I can't really tell if he ate overnight or today while I was at work. So now I'm feeling super anxious and worried! I know I should just chalk it up to him being stressed and let him settle in more, but I always think the worst and stress myself out.

Birchwoods

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Quick update - he's doing pretty great! He's now eating (he was chirping and rubbing against the cage door when I brought his food in) he's used the litter box to pee, and pooped on the floor of the cage. I have a home vet so I've asked her to come to see him for his deworming and any other treatments he needs. He's purring up a storm now and happily lounging!

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
What an adorable little baby! You are making progress and he seems to know that he is safe and cared for. Please keep us posted.

Birchwoods

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, fionasmom fionasmom ! SO much progress today! Since he's in my home office and I've been logged on to work I've been in the room with him. He started rubbing his head on the top of the cage and then reached out his paw, so I gently moved my closed fist to the top of the cage and he was straining to get to my hand. So I slowly opened the door and gently moved my hand near him and he basically launched at me in happiness. I was rubbing his cheeks with his head in my palm and he was purring so loudly my husband heard him from outside the door! I hope he's on the road to becoming an irritating lap cat like your Lily!:happycat:

I feel guilty because I'm logging off work and heading out for some Christmas shopping and dinner, but since I've been in here almost 8 hours today I think he'll be ok with some time to himself. (Especially if he wants the litterbox!) My heart is so happy he's here, and his brother and sister are still coming on their normal schedule and don't seem at all phased that he's not with them!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Purrito has decided that you are his friend and he has found his home. Who knows what goes through their little minds that makes them the different one? He will be fine with some time to himself so enjoy the shopping and dinner.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Felix is one who made the “feral to fabulous” transformation. He is almost 18 now and I have recently begun taking him out on a leash as he is getting weak from age and inactivity. Darn it if he doesn’t immediately try to go back across the street where he was born! He has had a fabulous life at my house, but the feral roots run deep with him.

Birchwoods

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Purrito had a home visit with the vet today, and he was awesome! No hissing at all - he let her open his cage door and do her exam like it was no big deal. He has fleas so he's getting treated tonight, and I'll treat my other cat as well, just in case. I'm happy that Purrito is settling into his new life inside and he is so friendly and sweet!

BUT - I'm terrified of FeLV. The vet said since he's quarantined right now and can stay so for a month, that's when she'll test him since that would be 30 days from his last possible exposure. She wasn't at all concerned about FIV, and didn't seem overly ominous about FeLV (she told me about 3% of all cats tested (ferals and always owned cats) are positive; but that it is a huge issue if he's positive because he can't live in the house with my cat and we would have to find him a new home or return him to his colony. So now I'm losing my mind with anxiety. With my cat being 18 I feel like my time with him is limited, and I don't think I could take losing Purrito now, either. I'm so attached to this little guy and we're bonding more and more every day, and now I feel so scared and like this month is a ticking time bomb. :frown: I know I could be overreacting (my husband told me to calm down!) but I'm just scared.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why not get him tested now, for the heck of it? If it is negative now, chances are very good it will be in 30 days. If he is positive, you can make some decisions.

Birchwoods

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi catmom2wires catmom2wires - thanks for your reply! The vet told me that she didn't want to traumatize him with a blood draw today while he's still settling in because a negative test now could be a false negative and we would have to test again anyway. (She said she would be confident in a negative result by testing him 30 days post being brought inside.) I could certainly text her back and ask her to test him now to see how it goes. I was good at not showing anxiety while she was here, but after she left I called my husband because I am so worried!